PDA

View Full Version : 305E Valve covers on a 305A engine?

GMCNUT
February 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Guys I have a set of plaid valve covers off a 63 GMC 305E that I want to install on my 1960 305A engine; I have no issue with them fitting, but I see that the 305A's stock valve covers each have a hole and oil breather cap where the plaid 305E covers only have one side with an oil cap hole.

Question: what will the effect be on the 305A if one side of the engine no longer has a breather cap after I install the 305E covers? Any? it was engineered that way for a reason - I just do not want to hinder its ability to breathe and hurt the already meager performance of the 305A

Assuming there is no issue with having only one breather on a 305A, would it make any difference whatsoever which side of the engine I put the cover with the hole on? On one side the hole would be toward the front and on the other side the hole would be towards the back, so aside from it being easier or harder to reach the hole to add oil, is there a "breathing" benefit to the engine if I put that cover on one side over the other?

Corts60
February 10th, 2013, 06:46 PM
You should be fine installing those valve covers. I would just keep an eye on gaskets and oil leaks. If you notice oil coming from places it didn't use to, then you might be building too much crankcase pressure. Also, clean out or buy a new breather to put on so you know it's getting the most air it can. You won't notice any performance gains or losses, there is none.

6066gmcguy
February 15th, 2013, 01:04 AM
The older engines used a Road draft tube to provide ventalation for the Crankcase, later engine had those PVC valves in the heads that did that job and lost the vented cat on the covers along with the Tube, BTW the tube was replaced by a filtered vent on the back of the block.

bigblockv6
February 16th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Jolly's right on that. I would eliminate that draft tube and replace it with the filter setup which will be your second breather.I know the 62 305D had a single PCV valve plumbed backthere on the back of the engine too. If the 305A doesn't have the valve that may be something to consider as a more efficient ventilation system.

GVDobler
February 20th, 2013, 02:38 AM
I hear guys here complaining about the high cost of chrome shops in Las Vegas, but I have nothing to compare it to.

What should it cost to have a set of valve covers chromed??

Thanks

tommyduncan
August 15th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Did you find a decent place? A friend of mine has had some work done locally. I can ask him about it.