PDA

View Full Version : Starter/Flywheel Ring Gear Replacement

Clarke
March 5th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Hello to the Group,

For several years my starter/flywheel ring gear has been grinding about every third or forth time I start it; of course, it's been getting worse. Very cool sound when people are checking out your truck when you're leaving a busy parking lot.

Anyway, with all the snow we've gotten here in flat Kansas I started suffering from cabin fever, so I went out in the garage over the weekend and before I knew it, the flywheel was sitting on my bench.

The new ring gear I got from LMC is the wrong diameter (14"). Mine old one is 16" diameter. I was calling around town today and I'm having a difficult time finding a replacement; although, a local guy can order one that is 191 tooth count, but it's shown for a V8. I think this could be a mistake. I counted mine and it is 191 and has a number stamped on it, 2369440.

Can anyone verify they have replaced the same one and provide recommendations to locate one.

Thanks in advance!

David

bigblockv6
March 5th, 2013, 05:07 AM
David, what you need for a replacement is the ring gear that was used on GM light duty trucks through out the 80's with the 6.2 GM Diesel. When I had to get a custom built flywheel for my 478M that was going in my K-2500 Tilton Engineering built me a flywheel to the same dimensions as my 305 version with the exception of 8 bolt mating pattern to the crankshaft. They used the 6.2 Diesel ring gear, it is 16 inches in diameter with the same tooth count. I can tell you as of just two weeks ago it is working just fine. LMC is most likely clueless of the existence GMC V6 engine specially in pickup trucks. This is the type of part that you'll need to get from the dealer or at a NAPA auto parts. Pete Chronis Northern Cal 68 GMC KM-2500, 478M V6

raycow
March 5th, 2013, 05:26 AM
I believe this is the same gear.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PIO0/FRG191T/02275.oap?year=1963&make=GMC&model=1500%2BSeries&vi=1340761&ck=Search_02275_1340761_-1&pt=02275&ppt=C0338

While you are in there, it might be a good idea to replace the starter drive too, or at least inspect it carefully for wear or damage.

Ray

Clarke
March 6th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Thank you guys! I checked with both of these places yesterday and they couldn't help me. Now I have the ammo to go back.

Thanks again.