PDA

View Full Version : dana 60 full floater rear axle

Strud
March 9th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I have a local brake & clutch shop questioning the fact that my 66 1502 GMC has a dana 60 full floater axle. All of his books show the 1500 series as a 1/2 ton. (keep in mind this shop has 50+years experience and is one of the few shops that can re-line my rear brake shoes) The biggest items in question are the fact than not only is the dana 60 stock but the 12" x 2.5" drum/shoe size.

can someone shed some light? Is this in fact stock, or was it swapped at some time? when I go to Napa, their system and the old books only show 11-5/32" drum size.

I did bring the drums and shoes and they will turn and re-line the shoes but I am still questioning if it stock. More for my knowledge than anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
1966 GMC 1502 w/305 V-6
1966 GMC Suburban 4x4 w/305 V-6

raycow
March 9th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Does your rear take 8 lug wheels or 6 lug? How about the front?

Ray

Strud
March 9th, 2013, 11:53 PM
8-lug front & rear

BarryGMC
March 10th, 2013, 01:09 AM
66 gmc 1000 is a 1/2 ton,1500 is a 3/4 ton , and 2500 is a one ton.

Strud
March 12th, 2013, 03:42 AM
My question is if the 3/4 ton 1500 had a full floater dana 60 rear axle? with 12"x2.5" rear shoes. I know that it is a 3/4 ton. All I find and all of the various parts stores show the 3/4 ton having 11-5/32"x2" rear shoes. Trying to attempt to see if the rear axle is stock or if it was swapped at some time. I am having trouble finding parts because of this.

David R Leifheit
March 12th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Keep in mind that the auto parts stores, and many shops, use data bases which call for Chevrolet parts as if there was no difference between trucks. Which means there are often times when the parts you need are "wrong" in their opinion.

It is easier, in my opinion, to take in the old part or the numbers off an old part so they can order the correct replacement.

My '63 had a LOT of those issues, since it is a 2500 (1-ton GMC, 3/4 ton Chev).
Had to replace the master cylinder, they argue it doesn't have hydraulic clutch (GMC did, Chev didn't) so got the wrong part the first time. Rear wheel cylinders are the same on a Chev, right and left on the GMC (computer only shows GMC and Chev as the same). And don't even get into the 1-ton v. 3/4 ton differences...

Whatever your truck has for brake shoes now, if they work and fit, are likely the correct ones for your truck. Regardless of what a shop or parts house tells you.

According to the manual X-6523
Front Brakes on a 1500 are 11 x 2-3/4
Rear Brakes on a 1500 are 12 x 2-1/2

So it looks like you have stock brakes...

6066gmcguy
March 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Tell the parts guy that model numbers NOW are not the same as back in the 60s, also tell him he needs to look up GMC Truck in the books and NOT Chevrolet. If they still tell you your worng, tell them to come over and look at your truck.

Q. My question is if the 3/4 ton 1500 had a full floater dana 60 rear axle?
A. Yes. Do you not know what a full floater axle is? it is any axle when the shaft the turns the wheel can be pulled out with having to put the wheels and drums, the axle is floating in the housing and does not support any weight, the weight is carried on the spindle on the axle housing.

Rear Drive Axle Information
(http://www.6066gmcguy.org/DriveAxle.htm)

If your looking for brakes try the Known Good Part Numbers
(http://www.6066gmcguy.org/partnumbers.htm) page of MY website.

Strud
April 19th, 2013, 12:09 AM
I am now having problems finding the correct brake hardware kit. I was able to get the spring kit but when I got the adjuster kit, the primary adjusting lever was wrong and the star adjuster was wrong. has anyone had success in finding the hardware kits?

I did already look at the known good parts list and you don't list any hardware kits.

and I do know what a full floater axle is. I was only questioning the size of the shoes/drums and if it was correct.

My local source was able to turn my drums and reline the shoes. the wheel cylinders were an exact fit. I was able to get the rear parking brake cables from LMC trucks. They were correct. I tried brother truck parts and jim carter truck parts on the cables and they both were wrong. All I have left to find is the correct adjuster kits. the new inner and outer bearings were correct also. although it helps having the old bearing/race/seal numbers to go by. Hardware kits not so fortunate.

If anyone has any info on the adjuster part numbers, I would be most grateful.

Once I have everything I will post a list of all of the part #'s & mfg.

donrm
April 20th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Just check rockauto.com. I ordered my rear brake shoes from them, & I remember having to measure my shoes & my drum to make sure. Their prices are more than fair.Don Maurath GMC member 1966 GMC 8' fleetside Cinti. Ohio

Texas63GMC
July 25th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Strud, did you ever find a part number for the self adjusters?