PDA

View Full Version : creative rebuilding

tinman64
March 15th, 2013, 02:35 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried swapping pistons from a different engine into one of these 305 v6's,maybe a BBC,I think they have a 4.25 bore and lord knows you can get them in any shape and size.I know there would be alot of re-balancing but it would open alot of doors when re-building.Bearings may be more of a challange but there might be something out there.I'm sure alot of these engines have been tossed out due to lack of parts

bigblockv6
March 15th, 2013, 04:27 AM
The problem with that is you would be dealing with different piston pin height so then custom connecting rods would have to be made up, it be more cost effective just to get custom pistons.

GMC-HDV6
March 15th, 2013, 07:55 PM
If your going that far you may as well increase the compression ratio form 7.5/7.8 to 1 up to 8.5-9.5 to 1 while your at it. My great uncle said on the farm they stroked the 305 as it had cheaper pistons and easier to come by.

End up being 328 cubes and 8.6:1 once done and with custom ground cam they cranked good power from it as well. Also noted that with limited parts around today it might be an idea if you need to have parts custom made anyway what's a flywheel and custom balancing.

30 years ago they got it to work out great on the 5 him and his brother built.

Just a thought
Mike