PDA

View Full Version : Jolly's New Job ~ Old School Auto & Garage.

6066gmcguy
March 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Well as many know I have been out fo work for a while, I landed a job as the Mechanic at Old School Auto & Garage in Kaysville Utah.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o612/6066gmcguy/Old%20School%20Auto%20and%20Garage%20in%20Kaysvill e%20Utah/OldSchoolAutoGarage-010_zps2a406917.jpg

We do a lot of differant work, as well as safety inspections. It was a little slow yesterday so I did an oil change on my HHR.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o612/6066gmcguy/HHR%20Oil%20Change/OSG-ShuttlePod-001_zps222f8c61.jpg

Today I'll be doing a timing belt on a Honda mini van, that should be fun eh.

Jeannie
March 29th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Congratulations on the new job doing what you love, Jolly. Any members close to you might surprise you and bring in their trucks for an oil change too. ;)

6066gmcguy
March 30th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Had a 1967 Ford F100 come in today for a Carb rebuild, lots of other places said they didn't know how to do a carb???

Cayoterun
April 21st, 2013, 06:01 PM
Had a 1967 Ford F100 come in today for a Carb rebuild, lots of other places said they didn't know how to do a carb???

Congrats on the job, Jolly.

I wish we were closer. We still have some old classics around, and can't find anyone close who can rebuild a carb, then fine tune it so it works well anymore.
We're getting close to our annual Pioneer celebration here in town, so we would have 2-3 old convs. in your "fix-it" lineup.

We've learned that storing a vehicle is harder on one, than fairly regular use.
Also, the best mouse/rat deterent is a loyal barn cat or two. Keep the windows rolled up, tho, or they will leave a stinking mark in them.
We have to deal with packrats here. It don't take them long to fill an engine compartment with cactus, and grass.

donrm
April 22nd, 2013, 02:36 AM
Jolly, glad to see you got another job. If you still need donations post it again. The infomation on the site is priceless. Have to check on the site now to figure my tail lights problem. Don Maurath 1966 GMC 8' fleetside Cinti oh.:whipit:

Jeff in St. Louis
May 6th, 2013, 10:21 PM
How'd that Honda timing belt go? Kind of like this guy = :pullinghairout:

jbgroby
May 12th, 2013, 02:35 PM
IF this country ever get hit with a high atmosphere EPM Pulse, the only thing on the road will be old vehicles. They ought to teach these older skills to a newer set of folk.

6066gmcguy
May 13th, 2013, 04:16 AM
And put me out of work again!!! No Way man.

jimjaz
May 14th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Jolly-

Congrats on the job find- any job has become rather elusive these days.

Yeah, the younger generation pretty much has no clue about a carburetor. Same goes for a land-line phone with a cord in the wall, how to make food from scratch instead of fast-food or buying it in the box, how to tell the time on an analog clock, or what to do if the lights go out. And most have never seen any real American silver money! I carry around a 1954 Franklin half-dollar in my coin pocket, and when somebody (young) sees it, they say something like, "Wow! That's pretty cool! What is that?"
:poke:

FetchMeAPepsi
May 14th, 2013, 01:34 AM
+1 a job is tough to find anymore. Wish you were closer too. Cecilia's carb still isn't 100%. I keep monkeying with it but I keep getting backfires out of the carb. That first time it happens will BLOW YOUR HAIR OFF and make you need new undies! LOL!

raycow
May 14th, 2013, 03:12 AM
I carry around a 1954 Franklin half-dollar in my coin pocket, and when somebody (young) sees it, they say something like, "Wow! That's pretty cool! What is that?"
:poke:

Now you just hit on something that I have been wondering about for quite a while. What the heck happened to half dollars? I know they were common at least into the 1960s and had JFK on them after Franklin. However, I can't remember the last time I saw one, even in a cash register. They are probably scarcer now than $2 bills.

Ray

FetchMeAPepsi
May 14th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Ray,

I just had my Powder Puff mechanic (see my build thread) lose a tooth and we were talking about coins for teeth. She said she wished the tooth fairy would bring her a silver dollar coin instead of a dollar bill. I looked all over town to find a $1.00 coin that wasn't that (spelling) Sack-O-Jaweah coin or a susan B anthony. Never found one at all at 11 different banks here and in the next town.

I ended up having one teller say they had four silver dollars, I said I'd buy them all. She took my $4.00 and sent me four 50 cent pieces. I had to school her on the value of a dollar going down LOL. She sent my $2.00 back and was very embarassed!

Jeff in St. Louis
May 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
I wonder if the Pertronix ignitor setup would survive the EMF blast? :unsure: Probably have bigger problems than what to drive anyway. But - ditto on the younger guys not having a clue what to do with a carb or a set of points, and I'm talking about the professionals in the shops. I am afraid to think of what the next owner of these old trucks and cars will do when they have a problem! :ahhhh:

6066gmcguy
May 23rd, 2013, 10:52 PM
an ElectroMagnetic Pulse or EMP, The abrupt pulse of electromagnetic radiation results from certain types of high-energy explosions, such as a nuclear explosion, or from a suddenly fluctuating magnetic field. The resulting rapidly changing electric fields and magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges.

In Most cases as long as the electrical/electronic systems are turned off they should not receive any damage.

At some point I'm betting we will HAVE to switch our beloved V6 engines out for what every system comes along to keep them going. be it a small nuclear engine or Warp Drive.

Now that I work with the public, I'm just amazed by how little most folks know about what is going on under the hood.