PDA

View Full Version : Holley Carb Air Cleaner for 64 GMC

jrmunn
May 4th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I have switched from stock Stromberg to a Holley 4412 in my 64 GMC with a 305e engine. Installation was easy - did not have to change throttle or choke linkages (but choke cable could be a little longer). Now I need an air filter housing that fits the much larger Holley intake. I know others have already done this and am hoping for recommendations?

Also, can I route my crankcase breather tube to the Holley PCV port instead of adding a connecting tube to the top of the new air filter housing?

bigblockv6
May 4th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I'm using a complete K&N air cleaner assembly that's 14 inches in diameter with a filter inches thick. You do not hook up the crankcase breather tube to a vacuum source, it only goes into the air cleaner assembly on a closed ventilation system. You'll have plumb up a tube and hose that will attach to the base of the air cleaner assembly. It was real simple on my 68 since that year GMC went to a breather cap on the valve cover, all I had to do was cut out a 1 inch hole with a hole saw and install the original type grommet. If you like I can send you a pic of the air cleaner assembly.

jrmunn
May 4th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Thank you bigblockv6. I looked up K&N assemblies. I am hoping for a more "old fashioned" look and was wondering what older model cars (sedans, wagons, etc.) might have compatible air cleaners. It sounds like I am stuck routing the crank case breather tube into the air cleaner somewhere.

bigblockv6
May 4th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Sounds like you're looking for an air cleaner that's more period correct. I can suggest something from a mid 60's GM vehicle with V8 and 4bbl. I used to use one on my 68 out here in California before it was smog exempt. Try a wrecking yard and see what looks best to you.

jrmunn
May 4th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks again bigblockv6. I will start with mid-60's GM cars at local wrecking yards for an air filter housing. There is no rush because I am stymied at moment by a fuel supply problem that I hope a new fuel pump (on order) will solve. I have had two recent failures of Airtex pumps on my truck and am going back to Carter hoping for better results. In case this problem is caused by tank sediment, I just installed a Summit Racing canister filter in the fuel line between tank and pump and hope the pump can pull enough gas through it.

Kev UK
May 9th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I put a 70's Chevy one on mine; can't for the life of me tell you which model, just came from a buddy who repairs American cars, but hope the pic helps.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/gnastygnome/Truck%20Refurb%202008-9/011.jpg

I know it's subjective but I don't think that looks out of place, and it fitted straight onto the Holley like it was made for it.

jrmunn
May 9th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Kev UK - This looks like a good starting point for finding an air cleaner housing. Thank you!