PDA

View Full Version : Lower hood latch

jbgroby
June 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM
My lower hood latch needs to be adjusted so it will lock the hood down, however, it is badly fozen. The underside the assembly had a factory tack welded square nut and the top side has a hex nut, which I believe you loosen so you can adjust the height of the shaft.

I'm going to keep working on it, and hope for the best, but am ready to replace it.

I can find replacements on ebay but were ALL the years of the 60-66 GMC the same for the lower assemble. I know the upper changed when the hood changed.

Thanks

donrm
June 20th, 2013, 01:06 AM
My 66 has the adjustable shaft in the hood itself. It also has a slot for a screwdriver to adjust it, after you get the lock nut loosened. After it's loosened you can adjust the shaft to catch easier. More than likely you will need to back it out for a better latch fit. Donrm Cinti. Ohio 1966 351E fleetside

jbgroby
June 23rd, 2013, 01:49 PM
I've soaked it several days in PB Blaster I'm going to try and mount in a vise to see if I can break her lose, if not it's off to eBay. Gee won't be the first thing I've replaced...... Heck, I figured I've bought a whole truck by now ;)

jbgroby
June 23rd, 2013, 06:52 PM
Got it broke lose, early this morning - whew. had to use a bench vise as a hold back, probably has not moved since 1960. Blaster, primed and waiting for paint!

One more off the to do list.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 23rd, 2013, 06:54 PM
Did you happen to snap any pics of it?

jbgroby
June 23rd, 2013, 06:57 PM
NO but will. I have 2 extr upper latches, I'll part one out, but will keep a spare.

jbgroby
July 7th, 2013, 10:22 PM
here are the pictures a few asked for