PDA

View Full Version : 305E Rear Main Seal

Foley
June 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
I'd like to try and replace the rear main seal in this ol' 305E before I button up the bottom end. The truck hasn't run in 23 years, but there is lots of old oil/gunk on the fly wheel cover, transmission and cross member that show some kind of leakage. Looking at the X6223 manual explains the job but with the motor out of the truck. I remember as a young guy doing it once in a Chevy 283 with a tool you could buy that would get the upper half of the seal up, in, and around the top half of the rear main bearing and crankshaft. Any advice on how to get this done? Tks, Bob in northern CA.

Rick
June 23rd, 2013, 01:46 AM
Hi,

The tool you need to remove and replace the "rope" seal "in the truck" is called a SNEEKY PETE. It is kinda a corkscrew on the end of a wire. I too agree that you should now go with the 2 piece neoprene seal. However, if you have excess clearance on the rear journal, nothing will stop it from leaking.

Good Luck

Rockdriller
November 10th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Bob,
I might be too late....I just spotted yer post.
If you do decide to go to the two piece rear main seal, you can "roll" the upper 1/2 of the seal into the block.
It works like it sounds....just clean out the journal real good, then oil up the seal, slap it onto the crank....and then use a small wooden dowel and push or tap the seal around the crank and into place, just like you would a brg.
Sweet and simple.....kinda'
Good luck.
Les

Foley
November 10th, 2013, 02:35 AM
No, your not too late Les, I've still got the pan off, waiting on some other parts and so will think about your advice. Tks,