PDA

View Full Version : New Member, 1966 GMC Longbed Barn-Find

AndrewJoey
July 22nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
This was in my friend's dad's barn. I got it a month ago and here's my progress so far. Tomorrow I'm gonna start putting in a new wood bed. It has a 351e V6 that runs good, but needs some tuning. I'm sure I'll have ?s.
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

6066gmcguy
July 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
Nice find, great looking truck just as it is. Welcome to the forum.

tommyduncan
July 22nd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Nice looking truck! It looks pretty solid.

What is that on the B-pillar? It doesn't look like the "Custom" emblem that I am used to seeing.

jbgroby
July 22nd, 2013, 11:37 PM
Welcome, keep the V-6.

Jake

donrm
July 23rd, 2013, 01:57 AM
Heck of a barn find. I guess I don't know enough farmers?:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:donrm 1966 GMC fleetside 351E

AndrewJoey
July 23rd, 2013, 04:44 AM
Nice looking truck! It looks pretty solid.

What is that on the B-pillar? It doesn't look like the "Custom" emblem that I am used to seeing.

It's an rv plug-in. The original owner had a camper on the back. I'm keeping the truck as original as possible, and will run the V6 until it dies. I love the original paint, good patina, just surface rust.

Foley
July 23rd, 2013, 05:18 AM
This was in my friend's dad's barn. I got it a month ago and here's my progress so far. Tomorrow I'm gonna start putting in a new wood bed. It has a 351e V6 that runs good, but needs some tuning. I'm sure I'll have ?s.
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

Great color and patina! Gives that truck some real character. Post a few more pictures when you have a chance and Congratulations on your find. Foley

FetchMeAPepsi
July 23rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Ohhh yeahhh! That's my favorite look for the old GMCs!:yeeuh::yeeuh::yeeuh:

I wish I could get that out of mine but shes been rode hard and put up wet too many times. Snap about a dozen more pics and oh yeah welcome to the forum!

:thumbsup:

AndrewJoey
July 23rd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Ohhh yeahhh! That's my favorite look for the old GMCs!:yeeuh::yeeuh::yeeuh:

I wish I could get that out of mine but shes been rode hard and put up wet too many times. Snap about a dozen more pics and oh yeah welcome to the forum!

:thumbsup:
I got tons of pics, if you guys wanna see'm :)
Before, on the day I got it.

AndrewJoey
July 23rd, 2013, 04:01 PM

AndrewJoey
July 23rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Here's some pics of the lowering process. This thing had serious leaf-spring suspension. 10 leafs with 4 being overload. I took 6 per side out, and it still is pretty stiff. The ride is better though.
Had to thread another 2" in order to put it back together.

tommyduncan
July 23rd, 2013, 07:31 PM
Looks good! What size wheels are those? The 62 I just bought has 16.5"s and I would love to go to 16"s if they clear the stock brakes?

donrm
July 23rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
I used to have a Body Shop & was in the trade for more than 30 years before I retired. I do my own stuff & family now. Anyway, to keep that fine patina look, if it is kept outside, you may want to Clear coat the whole truck. If you don't use spray cans & use a spray GUN wherever you get your clear ask for some flatner, so it won't make the rust look shiny. My 2 cents. donrm Cinti Oh 66 GMC 351E cinti oh

FetchMeAPepsi
July 23rd, 2013, 11:06 PM
Like you had to ask about more pix! That's a great looking truck. I really like that you pulled off the rust and kept the primer clean. Like Don says you can flat clear coat it and it'll last for years.

Great find man. Take good care of her! If you dont have a build thread going (cant be bothered to scrool and see what forum this is lol) start one and let us see the progress as you did what you did and move forward.

Any more plans or are you ready to drive the wheels off?

Funky61
July 23rd, 2013, 11:54 PM
That's an awesome truck...Welcome!

AndrewJoey
July 23rd, 2013, 11:56 PM
Like you had to ask about more pix! That's a great looking truck. I really like that you pulled off the rust and kept the primer clean. Like Don says you can flat clear coat it and it'll last for years.

Great find man. Take good care of her! If you dont have a build thread going (cant be bothered to scrool and see what forum this is lol) start one and let us see the progress as you did what you did and move forward.

Any more plans or are you ready to drive the wheels off?
Thanks guys. It's ready to drive, I think if I run it, the kinks will work themselves out. I stained the wood planks today and will put in the bed tomorrow.

AndrewJoey
July 24th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Looks good! What size wheels are those? The 62 I just bought has 16.5"s and I would love to go to 16"s if they clear the stock brakes?

The original rims were 16 split-rims, so I found these in a junkyard and cleaned'm up and bomb-canned'm. They are also 16s.

AndrewJoey
July 24th, 2013, 01:57 AM
The original rims were 16 split-rims, so I found these in a junkyard and cleaned'm up and bomb-canned'm. They are also 16s.

Here's the old Ford Van I got the rims from.

tommyduncan
July 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Here's the old Ford Van I got the rims from.
Nice! I forgot to mention I need to find 16"s that the stock hubcaps will work on since I still have them. Hopefully not too difficult?

AndrewJoey
July 24th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Nice! I forgot to mention I need to find 16"s that the stock hubcaps will work on since I still have them. Hopefully not too difficult?

Ya, these won't work with my original hubcaps.
So mine will go on the garage wall.

AndrewJoey
July 28th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Got the bed finished, saved some $$$ doing it myself, but it was a real pain. Glad it's done.

FetchMeAPepsi
July 29th, 2013, 03:50 AM
That looks great. What hangups did you have?

AndrewJoey
August 7th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Just rebuilt my first carb, replaced a couple worn out hoses, cleaned up the valve covers & air cleaner. Surprisingly it started right up and purrs like a kitten. I suppose the real test will be when I drive it later today.

tommyduncan
August 7th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Nice!

...I can't wait until I get mine home!

sc1337
August 7th, 2013, 11:16 PM
nice man, what paint did you use?

jbgroby
August 7th, 2013, 11:18 PM
If you want it close to the gmc red use Martin Senior ford engine red

Funky61
August 8th, 2013, 05:35 AM
THAT looks ready to Rock and Roll! Nice work Andrew.

Funky61
August 8th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Forgot to ask...which part number did you end up using for the carb rebuild and how about a photo of the carb?

FetchMeAPepsi
August 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Looks sharp. What color is the valve covers?

Edit Whoops I guess someone already asked that.

nathankershaw
May 21st, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'm new to these trucks so I have a few questions (got one this week) :)

Did you cut the springs to get the front down?
What size are your tires?
Do you still have drums all round?

Can you re post pics of you bed install, they don't show up.

Awesome looking truck by the way.
Great work.

Cayoterun
May 22nd, 2014, 04:33 PM
Great find! It's good you can do most of your own work. Saves a bunch of money and lots of fun---most of the time.
Welcome to the forum.

Irishbleueyes
May 23rd, 2014, 02:38 AM

Do you still have the original mirrors? If they're any good do you wanna sell them?