PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Switch

Pete's 64
August 1st, 2013, 06:13 AM
I need a new turn signal switch for my 64 and am looking for some input as to a good source. The one in it has a metal base and it looks like replacements I have found so far are all plastic so not sure how well it will hold up.

tommyduncan
August 2nd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Are you referring to the type that clamps to the steering column? I bought an all steel one from NAPA about a year ago for a Jeepster project. It was chrome, very durable and looked like it was from the past. I think it was about $50.

Andice
August 2nd, 2013, 09:50 PM
Pete: That GMC switch is hard to find. The cheaper replacement switches require a LOT of Dremel tool work to make fit and are then just flimsy enough to crack when you bolt down the wheel and turn signal base (cup) if not modified correctly. Is your original part too far gone to be saved?

Pete's 64
August 3rd, 2013, 12:46 AM
The plastic tabs for the auto cancel are broken off and the switch hard to move. Have not tried to drill rivits holding the switch housing to the metal base yet
Classic Parts lists one deemed as OEM Quality but am hoping someone may have tried one prior to laying out $90 then return freight if it is not so good.

Could go the clamp on route, but not my first choice.
Thanks

Andice
August 3rd, 2013, 03:51 PM
The "hard to move" part may only require a light cleaning and some lube. I'll look in my spares to see if I can help with the part of the switch that includes the cancellation tabs.

Vernski
August 4th, 2013, 12:34 AM
That would be great to find an OEM part for it cause the metal part is bullet proof but the cancel nubs are plastic. All of the used ones I found had the cancel nub broke off on one side or the other. I don't think anyone re-produces the plastic part but anythings possible these days. What I ended up doing because the parts suppliers kept sending one for a 65 chevy, was to get a signal cup that holds the switch from a 65 chevy. For whatever reason the GMC stuff is different how it bolts up or screws down, thats how I fixed mine. Latter I ran across a link that may work for you, but then again I don't know for sure if it's what you need for your 64 it don't hurt to look though good luck..Vernski:lolflag:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/turn-signal-lever/GMC/Pickup-up-to-1966/1AZTS00063/326098

Pete's 64
August 4th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Andice,
Some serious cleaning did get the switch functional again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vernski,
I will check out the link.

Thanks All.