PDA

View Full Version : tightening sun visor

BobC
November 1st, 2013, 12:40 AM
My sun visor flings around while I'm driving. Any advise on how to tighten (the spring?)the sun visor so it more or less stays in place?

Andice
November 2nd, 2013, 11:16 PM
On my Henry J I simply swapped the often-used drivers side visor with the rarely used passenger side. Our trucks seem to have a left and a right according to parts books but I have never confirmed.

BobC
November 3rd, 2013, 01:53 AM
LOL, then I have to watch the passenger side visor go from side to side every time I accelerate. But I did solve the problem, I removed the visor from the truck and carefully place the showing rod portion in my vice making sure I protected it from being marked by the vice and then I hammered using a dowel the spring end. This causes the metal to mushroom, creating a tighter spring. Problem fixed.

Andice
November 3rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Glad you got it fixed. Instead of swinging out of control, my drivers die visor droops slowly as I drive requiring near constant adjustments. Since the visors on my old car (Henry J) were reversed they were not worn out as they were swinging in a different direction from the pivot point. They worked like brand new.