PDA

View Full Version : looking to replace my front springs...want advice/input

adamfgarner
November 28th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I have noticed a substantial difference in pricing from LMC, Brothers and another catalog for front coil springs for my 63 1500...do any of you guys have any experience or input regarding any differences in quality in these suppliers or other suggestions where I might get the best value/quality coil springs for my truck? I am interested in the original ride height not the lowered springs...thanks in advance

FetchMeAPepsi
November 28th, 2013, 02:10 PM
My experience is LMC is like the dollar store. Sometimes you get lucky, but mostly it's cheap china junk. If its not an important part then I dont mind using them.

Brothers trucks is pretty good to me (so far) but their shipping department is full of monkeys. Noam sayin? :poke: They can't read the quantity box to save their lives. Order 5, you'll get 1. Order 1, you still get 1. Backordered? You'll never know until you call them. Order next day shipping? You'll get it in a week, you'll just pay more.

For them I always call after ordering and verify that it's getting shipped, it's in stock, and they see how many I want. Then it turns out purdy good.

jbgroby
November 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I use LMC for a lot of stuff, but because they do carry several items we love such as the side mirror gaskets with the edge, which are better than the plain one and they also carry the clear dome light they seem to have an edge.

The problem is that most of the truck supply companies buy from overseas where the quality control ain't all that good? Esp. on body panels (I learned the hard way).

BUT we can say what we will, I'm glad to have them as my project (longest rebuild in history) would never get finished!

BarryGMC
November 28th, 2013, 03:50 PM
What's up with your old springs? There are lots of good used springs out there. That way you know you have good quality. Honestly I doubt most of the repop stuff is made by to manny different companies. For example I saw two sets of 68-72 fenders from two different vendors with two different manufacturers stickers. These fenders had stamping flaws that were in the exact same spots. Also one of the right fenders was made from thinner material. Barry

Funky61
November 28th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I've not used them but talk to these folks; made in the USA!

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

I don't think the replacement springs from some of those others take into account the weight of the GMC V6. Even an upgrade to "Big Block" springs may leave you lower then you'd like.

bigblockv6
November 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Very true, I've seen the results! The GMC dealer where we bought our 68 KM-2500 had a 67 K series Suburban in the show room they converted over to a V6, since V6's no longer were offered in Suburbans that year on. Anyway the front end was sitting lower than a two wheel drive and the back end looked all jacked up, obviously they never changed the front springs and makes you wonder what were they thinking.

adamfgarner
November 29th, 2013, 03:22 AM
In response to BarryGMC...my old springs are...OLD...50 years old and are absolutely MUSH!..there is NO basic suspension or rebound...the give is all gone...so gotta replace em' as I like a truck to ride like a truck and be able to roll over a curb here and there...thank you all for your input...I will let you know what I end up with..