PDA

View Full Version : Need Tachometer Cable Help

lizziemeister'sV6
January 3rd, 2014, 07:38 AM
Hello - installing a rebuild 351E in my 1965 Suburban replacing the 305E. The 351E had the tachometer drive on the camshaft. Restored an extra original dash I had and want to install the F600 Ford tachometer and vacuum gauge into the 3 3/8" cutouts on each side of speedometer. Vacuum on the left and tach on the right. Tach is a Stewart Warner 3000 rpm unit that uses an .104-.105 square drive - HERE IS WHAT I NEED - best option a complete used tach cable or the cable end design (square or tang?) that fits the cam drive and the length cable of cable that I need so there's no kinks. PLEASE let me know if you have an extra cable for sale or the information on the cable length and the cam driven end. THANKS!

lizziemeister'sV6
January 5th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Anybody out there offering any knowledge of tachometer cables?

Funky61
January 5th, 2014, 04:53 PM
lizziemeister'sV6

Here is a photo of the back of a GMC Big truck gauge cluster that shows the end of the original cable, but cable was cut.

Here is a link to an EBay Moroso Chevy truck cable that's listed. I don't know if it's correct. Description:

NEW OLD STOCK MOROSO TACH DRIVE CABLE.
FOR USE ON THERE TACHS.
12 INCH LENGTH.
FITS CHEVY .104 SQUARE TANG
USE WITH ACCEL, DELCO AND MSD DISTRIBUTORS.
STILL IN THE ORIGINAL BOX.

If you give me a few days I may be able to see if my old speedometer cable from my 61 Burb would work to connect the factory Tach and the Tach drive unit I have on the back of my 401.

lizziemeister'sV6
January 5th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Thank You for Your Reply - I seen the Chevy cable on Ebay that connects to the distributor drive - I was hoping someone out in GMC V6 Land had a spare tach cable for sale. Will be waiting for your reply in a couple days to see what you came up with on the cable that you have - till then. THANKS!

Funky61
January 5th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Here is a photo of the tach drive on the back of my 401 and the keyway. (I always assumed it was square)

Here are part numbers and lengths of the different cables/shafts used; from a GMC masters parts book; I was surprised to see how long they can be, but they are for the Big truck series.

Here are two links; same vendor on EBay. Looks like he can make you one and he has different lengths/styles; square drive or keyed-tang or boxed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370916872713?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

http://www.alkydigger.net/proddetail.php?prod=ADTACHCBL-

Funky61
January 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM
I took my old speedometer cable from my 61 suburban; 305A and SM420 and it fit the Tach drive. The tranny end is keyed but the speedo end is square.

lizziemeister'sV6
January 6th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Thank You Very Much!
I will follow your leads and see what I can come up with. Will post the results for future GMC owners in time of need.