PDA

View Full Version : Need Help PLEASE - Automatic Transmission Flywheels

lizziemeister'sV6
January 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Need a question answered PLEASE - not including the triangle plate that bolts the torque converter (powerglide or TH400) to the flywheel - are the flywheels the same? Changing a 305E Powerglide to a 351E (originally a TH400) Powerglide. THANK YOU!:morecoffee:

FetchMeAPepsi
January 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Wish I could help Lizzie but I dont know anything about the powerglides. :( Barry or Raycow might be able to help when they stop by. Also you might post in the transmissions forum to make sure they see it.

Good luck. Post pics of it!

lizziemeister'sV6
January 24th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Posted this before but received no answers - PLEASE read the post prior to this one. Is there any difference between the powerglide flywheel and the TH400 flywheel besides the flat plate that bolts between the flywheel and torque converter? THANKS for all Your Help!:thumbsup:

Funky61
January 24th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I don't know if this will help but here is one I bought that was from the turbo 400 application.

lizziemeister'sV6
January 24th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Thank You for the picture of the TH400 adapters pieces - this is exactly the same as I have - I need to know if the pictured flywheel is the same as the Powerglide flywheel - I know that the flat triangle piece that bolts to the torque converter to the flywheel is different on a Powerglide than the one pictured - so is the heavy flywheel the same? THANKS AGAIN!

Funky61
January 24th, 2014, 08:42 PM
This link has some photos of the powerglide type.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=452869&page=2

Funky61
January 24th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Another avenue is; maybe someone has a Master Parts book that lists the number for the Pow-R-Flow (powerglide). I can check that number against what's on mine.

I have a Master Parts book for 1960 that shows this number for a 177CA Hydramatic.

turbobill
January 25th, 2014, 05:20 AM
On passenger car and Chevy light truck applications, other than the torque converter bolt circle diameter of the TH400 and Powerglide being a different diameter (taken care of on the GMC with the two different triangle plates), the diameters of the ring gears were also different.

The car and light Chevy truck Powerglide flex plates used a 153 tooth ring gear and the TH400 used a 168 tooth ring gear. The TH400 flexplate was about an inch greater in diameter. The larger dia. flexplate required the starter be mounted farther away from the crankshaft. In those applications GM used 2 different starter housings on an application that might have each transmission available.

To my knowlege, GMC never moved the starter on any of the light duty applications, so it is likely the flywheel may be the same.

BarryGMC
January 25th, 2014, 07:20 AM
The flywheels are the same. You can also use the auto tranny adapter to mount any chevy pattern bell housing to a gmc v 6. Nv 4500 or zf6 650 . No adapters are needed.

BarryGMC
January 25th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Forgot to add the hydramatic stuff is its own beast.

lizziemeister'sV6
January 25th, 2014, 08:08 AM
THANK YOU for the uplifting news! Now I can find another install item to fret about. I thought finding 351 PISTONS was bad!!!:pullinghairout:

duallyjams
February 22nd, 2014, 05:58 PM
The flywheels are the same. You can also use the auto tranny adapter to mount any chevy pattern bell housing to a gmc v 6. Nv 4500 or zf6 650 . No adapters are needed.

Huh never thought about using the auto adapter for a NV4500 that's a good idea.

tommyduncan
February 23rd, 2014, 03:31 AM
Good to know!