PDA

View Full Version : Way to drop front end?!?!

joseph.haney
February 19th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Ok, I need some help and I'm new to the 6066 group... I have just air bagged my 65 Step side and I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to drop the front end lower to the ground. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said crank my torsion bars down but its has none... I've done a little research and found where someone said loosen the mounting bolts for the upper and lower a arms to the desired height and then tighten them back down. Wanted to see if anyone has any ideals. Thanks

WDShaffer
February 19th, 2014, 08:34 PM
DO NOT LOOSEN SPINDLE BOLTS FOR RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT. Think about how the system works--the bolts hold the spindle to the upper and lower control arms. Without torsion bars, you are running a coil spring front end. Cheapest lowering is to cut one or two loops off the coil spring and put it back -- like we did in high school. Better options are drop spindles or airbags. Any way you go, realignment is mandatory.

tommyduncan
February 19th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Assuming you bagged the rear and the front is still stock you will probably want drop spindles and lowering spring to get it really low. To make it lay frame it is waaay more involved than that.
That right and easiest way(but not the cheapest) is to use a Porterbuilt crossmember.

quest
February 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Ok, I need some help and I'm new to the 6066 group... I have just air bagged my 65 Step side and I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to drop the front end lower to the ground. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said crank my torsion bars down but its has none... I've done a little research and found where someone said loosen the mounting bolts for the upper and lower a arms to the desired height and then tighten them back down. Wanted to see if anyone has any ideals. Thanks

Loosening any control arm mounting bolts would do nothing to lower your front end but it will screw up your alignment.
Chop your springs or get a proper drop spindle and spring kit or air bags then get an alignment.
Who ever told you to loosen those bolts has no idea how the suspension is mounted or how it works.
Good job on asking around before jumping the gun on the first advice you get, that practice will save you a lot of headaches. You will find all the info you need from people right here. Good luck.