PDA

View Full Version : 1946 chevy terrain master build

BarryGMC
June 8th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Well since I don't have much happening with the v6 jimmy fleet other than a brownie install And the other rigs are needing mucho mucho. I am doing a quick little thing. Most of the bits are ready To go and i hope it takes a month or two at the most. I will keep it short tonight but basically i am building a 46 chevy version of a vintage power wagon. This two ton will get shorter and taller and sit on some 3/4 ton gear. It will keep the frame and springs and steering but have some things swapped out. Super easy really. So now its inside next to its roomate. This cool old buick.

GMCNUT
June 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM
ooh....liking both of these very much. I would have to restore the Buick all original I think...the old convertibles are so cool no matter what you do, but original would be awesome if you could manage the difficulty of finding the correct fabric for the seats, etc.

BarryGMC
June 8th, 2014, 07:37 PM
The buick will be original. But it will be a very long term project. It's all there and has very little rust. The interiors on those post war gm cars have good support so it's about money and time. Lots of time. Fair bit of moolah. However the wife looked like this :pullinghairout: I need her back to this :yourock:.
The 46 will be getting the watson 42 I have posted pics of in the trans section. A 205 t case a d60 out of a 72 gmc and a 10 bolt from a 90 burb. It's keeping the 235 and the 420 trans. It's also staying 6 volt. I will be cutting 16 inches out of the frame in the middle and make a 9 foot dump bed for it. I did one like this a long time back and have been joneson to do one again. Plus I have an older 1-1/2 ton and really don't want another.

gmc1963
June 8th, 2014, 08:09 PM
The 46 will be getting the watson 42 I have posted pics of in the trans section. A 205 t case a d60 out of a 72 gmc and a 10 bolt from a 90 burb. It's keeping the 235 and the 420 trans. It's also staying 6 volt. I will be cutting 16 inches out of the frame in the middle and make a 9 foot dump bed for it. I did one like this a long time back and have been joneson to do one again. Plus I have an older 1-1/2 ton and really don't want another.

get it off the ceiling first lol

FetchMeAPepsi
June 8th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Thats going to be a great project Barry! (both of them) I cant wait to see it come along. :thumbsup:

BarryGMC
June 17th, 2014, 03:25 AM
So I spent a couple of hours on the front axle. The pre 55 first series are tough to make a 4x4 out of but not so tough that it can't be done on the stock frame and suspension. chopped that 10 bolt down so it will bolt in. Next i will make s few steering bits and drop off the inner axle to be shortened.

BarryGMC
June 17th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Let's talk a little about what I am doing here. First the spring center width on these trucks is 27 inches and the frame tapers in at the front. The front spring hangers are castings that are rivited in and double as the bumper mount. So instead of trying modify the frame with out board mounted hangers and a heavily modified scout or wagoner axle I just cut down a full size GM axle 5 inches. This gives me an easy solution that bolts in with about 6 hours work.

BarryGMC
June 18th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Dang Iost my post. Well I got the housing done a bit ago. It was raining today so i went and worked on the front end This afternoon. Next i have a couple of steering mods to make. Hey vern this is the front end that was at montgomery. I brought it to The little shop to work on.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 18th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Is it cut and the end welded back on or cut off both ends?

BarryGMC
June 18th, 2014, 08:45 PM
I only cut down the long side. I cut it down 5 inches. The spring centers are basically 5 inches different. I shifted the pumpkin over and used the cast mount and put a new mount 27 inches on center from the cast mount. Here are this mornings results.

BarryGMC
June 19th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Busy afternoon.

BarryGMC
June 19th, 2014, 05:05 AM
I got a bit more done tonight. No pics though. Got all32 rivets popped of the frame and marked it for the cut down. Also got the rear out. Next it will get cut and welded and some spring mods in the back. And I will roll the d 60 rear under it.

BarryGMC
June 19th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Cut cut cut. And keeping the old guy company during surgery

BarryGMC
June 20th, 2014, 04:08 AM
So when you do a few Marathon builds after 30 Years your hands get like this. My kids call them dad hands. Special joint lube is required.

BarryGMC
June 23rd, 2014, 01:19 AM
I did not do much on the 46 this weekend. I had a little tenant improvement to do. But I did pull the seat and tank so I could mount the watson shifter. And i found this.

BarryGMC
June 26th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Slowly but surely. T case and Watson are in. Frame is welded and bolted. I ended up taking 18 inches out. One cylinder is done on the frame side.

BarryGMC
June 27th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Got a bit more. All fabbed up builds get a branding. Original coil and armored Wire. View from underneath.

BarryGMC
June 27th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Any one want to see a flat bed build? If so I may take a few pics. Other wise it's like brushing my teeth. Something I do. But if someone is interested I will post. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi
June 27th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Haha, you signed it :thumbsup:

I'd like to see the flatbed build if you dont mind taking the pics.

Oh, and sweet find! i just finished putting my "collection" of guns into NMCollector (nmcollector.net) for insurance. That's a neat little toy.

BarryGMC
June 28th, 2014, 12:59 AM
The amazing thing with GM is how much stuff fits from different eras . All this rear stuff is 72 3/4 ton two wheel drive leaf spring parts. Shock brackets and brake hose bracket. All hung on the 46 springs.

BarryGMC
June 29th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Started making drive lines. There is no black magic involved. Cut the weld cut the tube. Set back up measure measure and measure again. Tack it up and check run out. .005 or less then weld it up. Check run out. Done. Some guys say have it balanced but I have never had a shaker. Simple. 30 minutes Max.

BarryGMC
July 11th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Well not much to show. I made s drive line then got busy with work. I did get the drag link done. I will post s pic when I get back to town. I did decide to go with some 19.5 tires. I just can't resist the patina and coolness of the old wheels.

BarryGMC
September 15th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Well I slowed a bit here. It moves under its own power but I need to finish the brakes. Plus I got a ford. Its not much of a ford but it has been use full . I grabbed some steel for the bed and will start it after a roof project.

Vern
September 18th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Hey Barry, maybe a little off topic but the idea came to me looking at your build. The next big project I'd like to do is pull the bed off the 66 and clean up the frame. Is it feasible to use the engine cherry picker to lift the box and drive the truck away?

FetchMeAPepsi
September 18th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Hey Barry, maybe a little off topic but the idea came to me looking at your build. The next big project I'd like to do is pull the bed off the 66 and clean up the frame. Is it feasible to use the engine cherry picker to lift the box and drive the truck away?

Vern, that's what I did once I got a picker. I recommend putting a cross board in the back though because it'll pull the sides of the bed together as it raises since it's so dang heavy. Barry might have a better way though. :my2cents:

BarryGMC
September 18th, 2014, 05:20 AM
3 Guys and a 6 pack of beer. One beer before. Pic it up and move it. One beer after. 20 minutes drinking beer. 2 minutes of work. Best way. Barry

Vern
September 19th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Vern, that's what I did once I got a picker. I recommend putting a cross board in the back though because it'll pull the sides of the bed together as it raises since it's so dang heavy. Barry might have a better way though. :my2cents:

OK, that's a great idea. Was thinking of selling my picker, but maybe I'll hold on to it now.

Vern
September 19th, 2014, 04:53 AM
3 Guys and a 6 pack of beer. One beer before. Pic it up and move it. One beer after. 20 minutes drinking beer. 2 minutes of work. Best way. Barry

Beer makes everything better. Trouble is finding some suckers that would come out to help. By the way, Grandpa's rebuilt engine is purring along nicely.

Vernski
September 19th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I like the beer idea but things can get side tracked easily. I have bolt holes in the stake pocket for stake racks that I can tie the strap to, and yes a 2x4 across the rear of the box pick it up slowly one person can get the box off but putting it back in the right spot is not as easy, you need an extra body to help line up the bolt holes. I Like the 46 Barry that's a cool old truck Vernski...:thumbsup:

BarryGMC
September 19th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Vern glad you got it going. That's a good 292 and I am glad its getting used. Removing and installing beds is always fun. You don't want to damage anything.
Vernski thanks. That 46 has been fun to build. This fall I should have the time to get it done.

Vern
September 21st, 2014, 04:57 AM
Vern glad you got it going. That's a good 292 and I am glad its getting used. Removing and installing beds is always fun. You don't want to damage anything.
Vernski thanks. That 46 has been fun to build. This fall I should have the time to get it done.

My neighbor said the other day that the truck "sounds like a Harley".
The 46 is a really cool project, but that convertible is a definite diamond in the rough! Barry definitely has some great toys.