PDA

View Full Version : "Patina Trucks" in the group

GMCNUT
June 19th, 2014, 09:40 PM
After reading newbie Albert Blue's post about his cool all original 63 truck, I thought maybe it would be cool to start a new thread for the purpose of only showing pics of "Patina trucks" in the group.
A Patina truck is a fairly newly coined expression used to describe trucks that still sport all their factory paint, or if not factory, at least old weathered paint that is still un-restored and hanging on. Patina trucks capture a glimpse of the past in a way we cannot replicate after a restoration by preserving the "war scars", fading and age that can only come from a long productive life. Because of this, and the low cost of ownership vs paying for a restoration, Patina trucks are bringing high-dollar prices, and public awareness and demand is skyrocketing.

I will start the thread with a couple pics of my own Patina truck, and then everyone who has one can chime in and add yours. Mine is a well preserved 2 owner 1964 2500 series "Camper Special" with 86K original miles I got from Ulysses Kansas a year or two back. Mine was sold new with a huge over-the-cab camper body on it, so the brand new never installed tailgate was stored in a dry barn from day 1 until 2009 when the camper was removed and it was finally installed on the truck. It came pretty highly optioned with power steering, power brakes, dealer A/C (currently off) 4 speed w/ 305E, Pow-R-Lok (positraction), bumper guards, custom cab equipment, deluxe heater, hazard switch and dual gas tanks. I added the plaid valve covers - couldn't resist :)

Looking forward to seeing the other patina trucks you guys have - Steve

Albert Blue
June 20th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Very nice find.. I'll post some pics next week. I still need to do some very basic maintenance as well as replacement of the tires. Hmmm. Maybe some new 24" rims..

BarryGMC
June 20th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I really like that truck Steve. You have all seen my 65. It has a similar story as Steves truck. Here are a few shots

Albert Blue
June 21st, 2014, 12:11 AM
Barry, looks like you have some nice options. Mine is very bare bones. Didn't even have a rear view mirror- side view only!!

aphaynes
June 21st, 2014, 12:17 AM
That's a great truck GMCNUT. It was even better to see it up close and personal at the show in Decatur! :thumbsup:

Got some primer on it, but does this count?
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

Looking good Barry. So, the floor mat was that color originally? Mine was as well, but it tore to pieces when I pulled it out to tend to the rust underneath. Does anyone carry replacement floor coverings that color now?

BarryGMC
June 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM
Only black on the new mats.

GMCNUT
June 21st, 2014, 04:01 PM
love these truck Barry and aphaynes - ironic we all have light green colored ones of all things....I have my eye on a 1963 1500 series that is a Palomino Tan & white patina truck...guy wants a pretty penny for it, but its a big window custom cab w/ cool factory options automatic trans, power steering & power brakes and the uber rare factory clock.

GMCNUT
June 21st, 2014, 04:43 PM
I really like that truck Steve. You have all seen my 65. It has a similar story as Steves truck. Here are a few shots

Thank you Barry - this is the truck I need a 3:42 gearset Dana 60 and speedo cable adaptor for - I can't remember if you told me I had to change the whole powerlock out or just get the correct ring and pinion to swap from 4:11 to 3:42?

If you have what I need to do this, shoot me what $$ to send you and I will get it on the way....thanks Barry

GMCNUT
June 21st, 2014, 05:14 PM
Only black on the new mats.

I heard you cannot even get new mats at all now - Black nor any other color

GMCDAC
June 22nd, 2014, 03:14 AM
My favorite kind of thread! These trucks wear some of their history. If only they could talk. Keep the pics and stories coming, great looking GMCs!

DAC

BarryGMC
June 22nd, 2014, 04:01 AM
I saw this at the building supply today. Its not a GMC but its still working for its keep. And looked cool.

GMCNUT
June 22nd, 2014, 08:33 PM
I saw this at the building supply today. Its not a GMC but its still working for its keep. And looked cool.

Love it - I have a 61 Apache I am building for my son. Love the cat eye hoods on the 60-61's

BarryGMC
June 23rd, 2014, 12:52 AM
Well since not many are posting. Hey Clarke. Hey Foley. Let's see em. Here is my old friend Larry's 60 chev. I have known him for 40 years. Went to school since the beginning. We got our friend rockey to get a 63 GMC. I will track it down he lives at priest lake Idaho now. He has a cool patina Truck. Come on pics guys.

nathankershaw
June 23rd, 2014, 04:20 PM
My old girl is definitely rocking some patina.
Hopefully the new motor & tranny will be in within 4 weeks then I can move down the list of other things to do :)

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>)

Foley
July 12th, 2014, 04:58 AM
So here is ol' Dudley. A 1964 1500 stepper. Followed me home one day last year after quietly sitting in the original families barn for 23 years. Doesn't run, no brakes, not hardly a square inch on it that isn't beat up or dinged. It has 3 different wheel sizes on it but good glass, no rust, and truly a good ol' ranch work truck. I'd say therez a little patina goin' on here. I was able to get a good, complete set of 16" wheels/tires from Funky61, and with the help of other forum guys I've got a deal going with a guy in Missouri to get a nice set of hub caps that will fit those wheels. Found a decent tail gate at a local swap meet, hoping to get a good rear bumper from Bob C. later on, and an original oil bath air cleaner came from DAC when we passed thru South Dakota last week. He found it in a salvage yard last winter, cleaned it up, and stored it under his bed untill I could get there. Slowly working to gather other odds and ends that the truck needs. I'll post a couple of pix about what I found when I crawled underneath this ol' dog to change his oil after all those years.

BarryGMC
July 12th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Sweet. Glad to see it . If only that tail gate could talk.

6066gmcguy
July 12th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I guess my 1965 GMC 2500 would fit in this group.

6066gmcguy
July 12th, 2014, 05:40 AM
The Whole Line of truck pretty much fits in this group.

Foley
July 12th, 2014, 06:00 AM
I do have a few stories Barry from the original owners 79 year old son. He told me all about what this truck was used for, and how it got to be in the shape it's in, but we'll save those for another time.

So here is what I found when I opened the hood. Pretty sad I'd say but not unexpected. I don't really plan to do too much mechanical upgrading to the motor and only want to use this truck for a "go to town truck" on Saturdays And thus I've been collecting original parts like that oil bath air cleaner from Doug.

So I climb underneath ol' Dudley (well, actually sorta slide underneath) with my oil drain pan and wrenches and filter taker offer and the first thing I do is grab the exhaust pipe just in front of the muffler to pull myself to where I need to be. Oh yea! kabonk....the pipe falls apart in my hands! Completely rusted through exhaust system. Hmmm, ok, I guess we'll deal with that problem a little later. Then my eyes shift up to the old canister oil filter and oil pan drain plug and I cringe as I see the bottom of the oil pan. Looks like the the P/O has probably driven this truck over a few LARGE rocks at one time or another. So as I lay there with exhaust pipe rust in my eyes I figured it was a pretty good assumption that the crunched bottom of the pan was pushing up or had really bunged the oil pump screen. So, off comes the oil pan which requires raising the motor. Now then, this simple oil/filter change has proved that murphys law is alive and well. So I decided it would only be proper and common sense to clean things up a bit under there and have a look at the bottom end. I pulled out and R & R'd the oil pump, acquired a decent used oil pan from a forum member in San Diego, and upgraded to a spin on oil filter which Barry supplied. I mentioned in another thread last spring that I did a diesel flush of the motor too. Whutz a diesel flush you ask?? After draining all the globbly goopy, black oil which came out of there like soft serve ice cream, I put the old pan back on, put eight quarts of diesel in the crank case, spark plugs removed, and slowly, SLOWLY pulled the truck around in high gear for about 100 yards with my work tractor. Then drained it out, removed the old POS oil pan and let ithe truck sit there for two weeks slowly doing the drip dry thing. So as I type, the bottom end of the lubricating system is back together, oil pump primed, pressure is up (again from slowly pulling the truck in gear) and Ol' Dudley is sitting in my tractor shed awaiting summer to be over so I will hopefully have time to get back on him and start on the next step in the "start up" process, that old, crud infested fuel system.

Ed Snyder
July 12th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Since we're collecting photos of "Patina Trucks" in this thread, I'll repost a couple that were first posted in the Redding Mini-Meet thread. I bought this '67 several years ago from a former forum member, Don Barnes, of Cool, California. Foley accused me of "poaching" since this was only about 7 miles from where he lives.

It has lots of battle scars including a slice clean through the hood where one of the fan blades apparently came loose and flew off. That would have given someone a headache had he or she been leaning over the radiator when it happened! Nearly every body panel has at least one dent in it. Not much rust though.

Upgrades include the Holley 500, Pertronix ignition, wheels/tires from a 2006 GMC, and 3-point lap/shoulder belts. The bed floor is covered with a smooth aluminum sheet, making it perfect for shoveling out the many tons of sand and gravel I've hauled with it.

Andice
July 12th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Mine certainly had some patina before the restoration.

Ed Snyder
July 12th, 2014, 09:52 PM
I hope it's OK to post a few photos of a truck to show a lack of patina. This is the '66 3/4 ton I purchased for $1000 in 1995, restored, then sold in 2003 to a guy in Meadow Vista, CA. He in turn sold it to "Reefrunner Larry" in Minnesota who's on our forum. Then Clyde in SC (also on our forum) bought it from Larry. The truck, which came off the assembly line in Fremont, CA, on 6-6-66, was factory-equipped with 351E, Turbo 400 automatic, Powr-Lok rear end, power steering, power brakes, and custom cab. It had less than 40,000 miles on it when I bought it. During the restoration process I had the frame and driveshaft shortened so I could put a short bed on it.

About the only patina on it prior to restoration was the rear bumper. The only rust we could find on it during restoration was minor surface rust under the rubber floor mat.

Albert Blue
July 13th, 2014, 03:47 PM
My '63 .. Not gonna restore. Will tidy up the mechanicals..

Albert Blue
July 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM
A couple more. Well one . Trouble uploading off the iPad.

Foley
July 15th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Very nice 63 there Albertblue. Doesn't look hardly used. Tell us about the history. If it's a Georgia truck, I'm surprised at the lack of rust in the quarters. I'll also have to say that I really like that flag you got flying there at the front of the house.

Foley,
Roots in Dublin, GA

aphaynes
July 15th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Foley,
Roots in Dublin, GA

Ha! my roots are in Savannah, GA. Just passed through Dublin on July 4th weekend on my way back from Savannah to Huntsville, AL. Construction on I-16 forced a detour through Dublin.

:threadjacked: sorry...back to Patina business!

Albert Blue
July 17th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks, fellers. The truck was on a farm in Ty Cobb's hometown of Royston, GA for all but the last 2 years. It is a very basic truck. Didn't even come with a rear view mirror! The guy I got it from drove it a short distance to his home and mercifully left it alone save a seat cover. He had purchased a 80s generation 4x4 and was gonna do a chassis swap. Thank heavens he didn't get around to it.

The panels and paint are all original and even still have the "chalk marks" under the hood and in one wheel well. The truck was parked under a shelter which has helped with the rust. Amazingly the rockers and lower front fenders are rock solid. 73k on the clock.

My plans are to keep it as original as is safe and practical. The thing still has L78/15 "workhorse" bias ply tires on it. Prob from the '70s. I need to swap the fluids, go thru the brakes etc.. No rush for now.

BarryGMC
July 18th, 2014, 03:34 AM
Cool flag. And cool truck. I did not see the flag from my phone it's not clear. I pad and pop.

Albert Blue
July 18th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Thanks. Flirst Navy jack seems appropriate these days. Not to mention I was in the USN for a few years.

sodly
November 17th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Any more "survivor" GMCs out there?

BarryGMC
November 18th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Here are 2 1960 trucks. Same guy owns both. He uses the one ton but the other sadly just sits. Both are still sporting the v6 engines.

Phat 66
November 19th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Working a Deal on this GMC BW Found it in Arizona great Patina

abus319
March 28th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Looks like the 3500 will fit in on this thread.
I just put in in the shop to as Albert Blue says "tidy up the mechanicals.

TJ's GMC
March 29th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Here's mine. lol 1964 GMC 1500 305E v6.

Foley
March 29th, 2015, 03:51 PM
For Mr. Phat 66What does "BW" mean? And your 64...what does "SB BBW" stand for?

Jeannie
March 30th, 2015, 02:15 AM
For Mr. Phat 66What does "BW" mean? And your 64...what does "SB BBW" stand for?

Foley,

BBW stands for Big Back Window. SB is for Short Bed.

Have a great evening,

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club

Onuma
April 16th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Oh I've got some "patina" to share :)

Someone goofed this truck all up before I rescued her.

'66 1000, Wideside, BBW, now with a '77 305 V8 engine (probably from another GM truck? Who knows?) and a 3 speed column shifter.

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

pilotguy1050
October 5th, 2015, 05:06 PM
The truck my Brother has given me from my late Father's estate. joe got it from Dad about 15 years ago, and is going to help me get it roadworthy again. It will get a cab and box swap. The rust is just so extensive.... But here she is for the moment.

For these pics, they are video grabs from Facebook vids shot after resurrecting her.... she is being driven for about the first time in 20 years maybe. Cant link to em since they arent on Youtube... But its great to see her moving.

More photos when i can get them.

May paint the truck after the body swap, but this is here for the moment....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sodly
October 5th, 2015, 05:44 PM
I hope it's OK to post a few photos of a truck to show a lack of patina. This is the '66 3/4 ton I purchased for $1000 in 1995, restored, then sold in 2003 to a guy in Meadow Vista, CA. He in turn sold it to "Reefrunner Larry" in Minnesota who's on our forum. Then Clyde in SC (also on our forum) bought it from Larry. The truck, which came off the assembly line in Fremont, CA, on 6-6-66, was factory-equipped with 351E, Turbo 400 automatic, Powr-Lok rear end, power steering, power brakes, and custom cab. It had less than 40,000 miles on it when I bought it. During the restoration process I had the frame and driveshaft shortened so I could put a short bed on it.

About the only patina on it prior to restoration was the rear bumper. The only rust we could find on it during restoration was minor surface rust under the rubber floor mat.

Just going back through this thread again. Cool 66 GMC. It's the first one I've seen with a V6 backed by a TH400. I know it was an option but I've never actually seen one. Such a shame that this truck was restored... and worse yet, that it was cut up. Got any pics of the truck cleaned up... before it was "restored"?

TJ's GMC
October 5th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Liking that 4x4 with the snowplow!

pilotguy1050
October 5th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks! It has always been an awesome truck. Dad refused to use less than an 8-ft blade. Anything less he felt just dumped the snow under the whhels if slanted, and the plow was useless if legt straight, the only way to not drive over the snow you were pushing. But a six foot blade was only as wide ss the truck... So i agree with him on needing an 8-ft blade.

The tores/wheels were to go on an ild Dodge Piwer wagon, but they will look great on this truck.

Walys60
October 6th, 2015, 09:28 PM
This was my grandfather's pickup. He bought it used from a buddy of his at the Post Office where he worked in Phoenix in '62. By that point his buddy had put a camper in and panted over the original cape blue with white to match the white camper. You can see the old color coming through the white nowa days.

I do plan on restoring it but thought this would be a good place for it (patina trucks) till I get the building put up that I'll be working on it in. Spent 2 years in red tape with the county so far. fingers crossed and prayers answered I'll have the building permit next week. It's a kit steel building (30x50) and has been sitting on a trailer next to the house for those 2 years.

Anywho, already talked about paint with 1960HDGMC (awesome guy by the way) and it will end up pretty similar to that (I hope). Generally looking to go as original as possible with it but being white most of its life and the cape blue having been my grandmother's favorite color, I figured on going the two tone with it. At least that was an original available option anyway.

Well, I love talking about it so I know I've already droned on enough for now. Love the forum all! Thanks for letting me join!

surfamtn
October 10th, 2015, 02:56 AM
Love me some patina<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noahr63
December 25th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Since im new ill post my truck in here as well as she fits tight in to the patina group. She is a 63 with the 305e backed up with a four speed. Say hello to sarah lee. She was a farm truck for most of her life as her battle scares show. A recent carb rebuild and she runs really well. I am missing pieces of the heating system and she needs new shocks however she is pretty straight and mostly origional. I have all of the split rims and two of the hub caps as well as an oil bath air breather.

GMCNUT
December 26th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Welcome aboard Noah! Terrace Blue is one of the best colors you could get in 63, and no one ever seems to match it right when they do repaints, so glad to see yours still wearing that great color. Something I always thought was neat that you can see in your interior pictures is how GMC hand brushed the inside door jambs with the exterior color where Chevrolet stopped its exterior paint farther back at the edge. Not sure why they did that, but its an important difference to be sure to recreate if ever doing a historically correct re-paint on a GMC. Great truck - thanks for sharing

kaneerarchery
December 27th, 2015, 04:53 AM
My truck and my two helpers.
Randy Kaneer

mikkelkendall
January 16th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I got 4 lil helpers from 5 to 9 3girls and a boy on my big 68 Gmc k6500 stepside 305c big block v6 5.0L <br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Boomerswany
April 14th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Hi, New to the forum. Here's a look at my 65. I prefer rough and original over shiny and untouchable.

Semocoachworks
April 25th, 2016, 05:49 AM
<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>)
Here is our 62. It is a salmon( pink) color, my wife loves it. We got it to haul our saint Bernards around in and it will be labeled for our beekeeping and honey business. It still wears it's original paint.

GMCDAC
April 25th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Welcome from Rapid City. I sure wanted that truck when it was on CL a couple years ago. Glad it went to someone that will keep it a real GMC!

DAC

Semocoachworks
April 25th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Welcome from Rapid City. I sure wanted that truck when it was on CL a couple years ago. Glad it went to someone that will keep it a real GMC!

DAC

Hi fellow Rapid Citian! Couldn't pass it up. I too tried to buy it a few years ago and they backed out on selling it. Seen it and snagged it immediately this time!

GMCDAC
April 25th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Hi fellow Rapid Citian! Couldn't pass it up. I too tried to buy it a few years ago and they backed out on selling it. Seen it and snagged it immediately this time!

Hello, Monday's my day off work so I'm able to stop in again! I resisted the urge to persue your 'burb when it first came up, couldn't come up with the cash, and I need to get another one back on the road first. I did post a link to the sale here in this forum but I don't know if any of the members checked on it. If I remember right the first time was $1200 then the second time it was listed was $1900. Both good prices in my opinion, but it sounds like the seller wasn't all that serious in letting it go back then? It must have been listed again recently?

Congrats on the score, and thanks for saving a V-6 GMC! Lots of knowledgable folks here for any help you may need.

DAC

Semocoachworks
April 26th, 2016, 02:27 AM
The first time I found it, it was $2400, 2 or 3 years ago. Seller had remorse and couldn't let it go. This time it popped up on Facebook and I gave him 10 crisp $100 dollar bills. Same guy had it last 15 years. He said motor was seized up and gave me another 305 with hogshead, flywheel, double pulleys and boxes of other parts. I hauled it home and threw a battery in , poured a little gas down the carb and it fired right up. Not sure why he thought it was seized. Got my slave cylinder on today and bled and took my first short drive. Tcase isn't even overly noisy yet! My wife said she would give up one of our novas if it ever came to having to make a choice. Never thought I'd hear that! The suburban will look nice next to my 63 Chevy stepside longbox 4x4!

GMCDAC
April 26th, 2016, 04:01 AM
I would say you got a smokin' deal on that truck! Nice he finally decided it needed to go to someone that would use and appreciate it. Sounds like you have some real nice rides! Are you taking any of them to the G3 hot rod show Saturday? It's a fundraiser for B.H. Childrens Home where my wife is a teacher. I'm not much of a show guy but I told her we would take the old beater '55 GMC---weather permitting, sounds like it may be wet.

DAC

Semocoachworks
April 26th, 2016, 04:12 AM
It all depends on if I have to work or not. I have some equipment that I only get on the weekends. If I can, I'll be there. That's at grubas out on West Chicago? G3 rods?

GMCDAC
April 27th, 2016, 12:23 AM
Yeah, here's the flyer. My main reason for not being a "show guy" is because it's the most productive time to get something done for us at home! Right now it sounds like a high in the 40's and rain---that's a bit warmer than today! The '55 can still go out in such weather, but don't know how much of a turnout there could be.

DAC

Semocoachworks
April 27th, 2016, 12:45 AM
I won't know until Thursday whether I get the equipment this weekend or not. Thanks for sharing the flyer.