PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Tires Size for 15x5.5 wheels

Surf61
July 20th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I currently have 215/75x15 tires on my stock wheels. I would like to go a little larger with new tires. Is 235/75x15 too much for the 5.5" rims? What sizes have others tried?

Funky61
July 20th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Hello Surf61 and Welcome!

Here is a thread discussing that question. Looks like you can do it.

http://www.67-72chevytrucs.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=428936&highlight=yokohama (http://www)

I used to have 235x70x16"s using wheel spacers. I had 215x75x15's put on the original 15x5 rims, but found them too short. I used to have 3" lowering rear springs, but found they were not designed for the heavier suburban rear so I had air shocks in the back.

I returned to 1.5" lowering blocks and the stock springs and am happy with the look and the tall, skinny Yokohama tire referenced in the link.

Pops
July 25th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I'm sure you've given it some thought, but, when I talk to older gm guys, they don't even recommend radials (though they agree with handling and ride improvement). For me, I would be concerned with harder steering. But then I don't have power steering. Please share your experience.:goodluck:

Funky61
July 25th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Hello Pops, Not sure if you were talking to me or OP but I have few observations.

I bought this Suburban back in 2007 and drove 700 miles one way from Redding to SoCal area. At the time it was stock (no P/S) and had 225 x 75 x 15 retreads. Made it without a hitch. I don't recall the steering being too bad, but excitement from a purchase will cloud a memory.
I do know the P/S upgrade made a big difference in the trucks utility; just so much easier to park. Also the radials. as you stated, helped the ride out a lot. The torsion front end allows a nice, smooth ride. A front anti-sway bar would also improve this I'm sure.
Rides much better then the 1970 GMC 2500 I used to have and only slightly less comfortable then the 1973 GMC I had as well.

Maybe the old GM guys were referring to the stocker/cookie cutter wheel look. Been a while since I drove on bias ply type tires and I recall they used to "hunt" a lot on the highway "looking for the groove."

Pops
July 26th, 2014, 12:40 AM
I am not really on top of tire sizes so I only throw things out for consideration. I was speaking to a community college teacher at a car show this summer (he taught some form or auto repair class). He was the one who mentioned the radial tire issue but I've heard it before. It might be a myth. And yes, I run a stock appearance set up (narrow white walls and dog dish caps). I also prefer radials and that's what I run.
Back to considerations, I would stick with your term "reasonable". I would ask questions regarding speedometer, radius, suspension match up, etc.
Sounds like a nice ride you have. Rare too. Good luck on your tire set-up.

Quigley
July 29th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I have 16"x5.5 original wheels on my truck and am using 225 75R 16 tires and they work great. the same height as original tires and no problems with the 5.5 width. Speedometer is dead on also. My tire guy claimed 235s would not be a problem on 5.5s but would be taller. My 2 cents worth. Good Luck, Dave