PDA

View Full Version : Shocks for 1000 Series 2WD

aphaynes
September 4th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Ok guys! What shocks do you all like to use on your GMC 1000 Series 2WD trucks and why? Mine needs them in the front and rear. I still have standard suspension, drum brakes, etc. all the way around.

Are shocks a pain to change on these old trucks. I have never changed shocks on anything.:ahhhh:

Funky61
September 5th, 2014, 12:09 AM
I have used Gabriel Sensa-trac as well as KYB's and Monroe's.

The Gabriel was called Classic's and rode really smooth. KYB's can be a bit rough depending.

Shocks are a good beginner project to do and you don't have to necessarily take off the wheels to do them.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1492376,parttype,7556

BarryGMC
September 5th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Kyb now on the 65. Rides good. Back 10 leaf packs are rough.

aphaynes
September 5th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys! :tiphat:

aphaynes
September 5th, 2014, 02:31 PM
BarryGMC - for the KYB is that the KYB GR-2/Excel-G Series?

BarryGMC
September 8th, 2014, 09:58 PM
No idea. I would need to look.

BarryGMC
September 10th, 2014, 03:04 AM
Gr 2. Sorry for the delay

aphaynes
September 10th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Gr 2. Sorry for the delay

Cool. Thanks. So the ride is good but you made a comment about the back being rough?

BarryGMC
September 10th, 2014, 03:30 AM
The rear has the stock 7 leaf springs plus 3 added leafs. On top of that it has 4 leaf over loads. 40 sheets of rock or a cord of wood it rides great. This old guy was a camper truck. It has some cool old home built mods to make it camper worthy.

aphaynes
September 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
The rear has the stock 7 leaf springs plus 3 added leafs. On top of that it has 4 leaf over loads. 40 sheets of rock or a cord of wood it rides great. This old guy was a camper truck. It has some cool old home built mods to make it camper worthy.

Ok...mine has 7 leaf springs plus 3 added leafs you mentioned.
It has been forever since I have seen a camper mounted on the back of a truck. It has probably been 25+ years since I actually slept in one. :) I guess they are not as popular as they once were.

Pops
April 28th, 2016, 05:28 PM
HI Barry. Ted from Mich. We spoke last summer about 66 rear drums. Mine ended up giving up one more turn so things worked out. Whew!
Question for you and aphaynes: Are you still standing by the KYB GR-2's for shocks. Aphanes, did you use them and what do you think?
I do not want a stiff ride. More for good handling.
I saw Delco 530133 ProPremGas and the write up was very good. Shock is about $10 more each than KYB.
Just for fun, do you know if the original shocks were Delcos? Do you know what the original shock color was. Old GMC ads have all sorts of colors under the vehicle..

THANKS!!

aphaynes
April 28th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I have not tried them yet. To many things have diverted my funds.
Barry is unfortunately no longer part of the forum, so he will not be replying.

Pops
May 4th, 2016, 10:13 PM
dear aphaynes,
sorry to hear funds are being diverted. Unless, of course, your diverted funds are making you $$. I have another question for you. What is your truck doing that makes you feel you need shocks? I have some fluid on driver front shock. I am also working on dampening (maybe). I found a few minor vibration issues -- like an exhaust system that was installed way too tight. Anyway, I am not getting a big bounce out my shocks so not really sure if new ones will improve anything other than visually not seeing oil on a shock.
thanks for responding to thread

aphaynes
May 18th, 2016, 01:42 PM
dear aphaynes,
What is your truck doing that makes you feel you need shocks?

When I hit a dip or bump in the road, the tuck goes through a few to many up and down motions before settling. It is not terrible, hence I have not replaced them even though I drive it almost every week.