PDA

View Full Version : weak hood springs

Pops
October 9th, 2014, 04:12 AM
what is the best aftermarket hood spring set for my 66 gmc? mine look new or restored but will not support the hood. also, are chevy and gmc hood springs identical (seems they would be)? hope someone can share a positive experience /vendor.
Thanks in advance.
Pops

tdeming
October 9th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I have the same problem with my 1960 pickup. I got some replacement springs from LMC but they don't hold the hood up either. Has anyone found shorter springs or helper springs?

Pops
October 20th, 2014, 12:50 AM
tdeming, it looks like this may take awhile. I wonder if there is a good repop for springs. I often wonder if all vendors get their parts parts from the same source. As such, LMC, Brothers, etc are all carry the same thing made by the same manufacturer.
Please keep me (and others) informed if you figure something out. Ill do same.:headscratch:

GMCDAC
October 20th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Hi guys, I kinda stay out of these type conversations since I don't currently own a 60-66 GMC but about all I can recommend is checking out local junkyards, and open the hoods on junk ones. These pics are a about a year and a half old but it looks like some old springs may still be OK. These trucks are probably crushed by now and I probably couldn't have bought these parts affordably enough to re-sell anyway.

DAC

Clarke
October 22nd, 2014, 03:39 AM
what is the best aftermarket hood spring set for my 66 gmc? mine look new or restored but will not support the hood. also, are chevy and gmc hood springs identical (seems they would be)? hope someone can share a positive experience /vendor.
Thanks in advance.
Pops

I bought a new set from Bowtie Bits in Wichita, KS and they work fine. That's where I bought most of my repro stuff. Jeff has a lot of stuff on his website. His prices are very reasonable too.

http://www.bowtiebits.com/

Good luck.

AZKen
October 22nd, 2014, 09:42 PM
Something like hood springs are probably all made by the same Chinese company. As such, they change over time. They don't understand types of steel makes a difference in the heat treat/tempering process and may just use what wire (or old ship steel) they get in from Indonesia or India. Therefore you may run into a batch from one vendor that is good and another vendor has bad; and back and forth. The vendor does not know ,or intentionally buy, bad springs. If you buy springs that are made for your truck and they don't hold the hood up, send them back. It can help a little to "tighten" the hinge joints with a hammer, but that's mostly for the wiggle factor. The weight is still the same on the springs. I suppose finding some at a wrecking yard that hold a hood up is a good idea if cheap. Do the old springs match the new one's? Wire diameter, length..?

BarryGMC
October 22nd, 2014, 09:58 PM
OK I don't want to sound dumb but why are you guys replacing hood springs? I have never replaced one yet in 30 years of owning 60-66 trucks.

AZKen
October 22nd, 2014, 10:06 PM
I forgot to mention, the required broom handle needs to be 37.82918 inches long. Duplicolor 1605 ford red.

tdeming
October 23rd, 2014, 12:48 AM
My stock springs don't hold the hood up any more, and the Chinese ones I got from LMC don't hold it up either. The manual talks about adjusting the hinges if the hood is to hard to close, and I tried to adjust them the other way but no help. I was thinking of trying to find a shop that can cut off a few turns but haven't any luck. I made a hood rod from some steel rod and connected to the radiator shroud for now.

Pops
October 23rd, 2014, 03:08 AM
Hi Barry. I did not change the springs - came that way. I did get a broom stick though.I have read more than once that weak spring are out there. As suggested, prob made out of country without correct strength. Still hoping I can get a recommendation. They might be better today. Mine are a few years old; maybe older.

dthela
October 24th, 2014, 04:31 PM
my repops worked fine, until I lubed them to keep rust out. broom handle!!!!!!!!

dthela
October 24th, 2014, 04:32 PM
by the way, just changed the springs because they were rusty, I have 3 sets lol

Pops
October 24th, 2014, 04:48 PM
The funky broom handle is awesome (any color will work) unless a good wind catches under the hood. Then you want to make certain your head is out of the way - lol. I know, not funny.
Ive still not read of any good springs out there. Ive heard of two companies to avoid. But my fear is that they all buy from the same manufacturer.
Dethela, why would oil on a spring weaken it?

Vernski
October 25th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Hey Pops how many knot's did the broom handle leave buy the way? I haven't had any problem either[Barry] in all the years I've had a GMC or Chevy, but not saying some don't have just not mine. I've had mine off and cleaned them up and repainted them without any problems so this is a puzzle to me. The only problem I've had is gap alinement between the fender and hood sometimes it takes awhile to nail it. I'm sorry pops but you made me laugh there.Vernski:toofunny:

Pops
October 27th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Actually,Vernski, the wind kept the hood up long enough that I pulled my head out in time. In other words, the broom stick is unsafe out in the open unless the wind speed is a steady 35 mph or more.

wsignman
November 25th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Silly question are these hoods.going all the up to the lock position?

Pops
November 25th, 2014, 10:39 PM
My hood does not lock when lifted fully. However, most spring type hoods stay open at any position. Mine drops at all positions. Havent heard of any solutions or suggestions yet. Still hoping.

Jeannie
November 25th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Pops,

Clarke mentioned good results with bowtiebits.com. Another option GMCDAC mentioned is collecting a new set from a local salvage yard. These both seem legitimate options.

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club

GMCNUT
November 26th, 2014, 12:49 AM
OK I don't want to sound dumb but why are you guys replacing hood springs? I have never replaced one yet in 30 years of owning 60-66 trucks.

you took the words right out of my mouth LOL

I sandblast and powdercoat my originals or any from a junkyard and never had an issue

dthela
March 2nd, 2015, 07:24 PM
My springs worked fine until I lubed the hinges to keep out rust! Gonna try to squeeze the pivot rivets harder