PDA

View Full Version : Correct Windshield Data for 1960 1002

1960HDGMC
November 14th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Hello, I have a cracked replacement windshield on my 1960 GMC 1002 pickup truck. I have a line on a Pilkington Glass Co. windshield, in Coke Bottle Green tint, or clear. Does anyone have a known original early production 1960 GMC Windshield? Or some factory code for the etched in markings? I also need there placement and which way they are readable. Were the original windshields truly clear, or as I suspect, did they have the very slightly Coke Bottle green hue. I want to get this as correct as I can to original. My truck was number 1392 built at Pontiac Plant, and was a Custom with the Stainless Trim around windshield. The original owner took delivery at the factory in fall of 1959. He is 91, and is a friend of mine, a WWII vet and a good guy. Heck, he even signed my glove box door once I got it all painted and back together. He ordered the truck with the extra chrome and two-tone paint,Cape Blue and Olympic White. All back to factory spec except for windshield. Help Appreciated.

BarryGMC
November 14th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Here is one from a February 1960 GMC. Very slight green not as green as the after market. The etching is on the passenger side and in reverse if read from the out side. Here are 2 more very old replacements that are both tinted very much the same.

BarryGMC
November 14th, 2014, 10:25 PM
That last pic is from the inside.

BarryGMC
November 14th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Side glass on another 60. March built.

BarryGMC
November 14th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Forgot pic

1960HDGMC
November 15th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Thank you, Do you suppose the greenish tint faded away over the years, from some to very little? Also ,can you decode this information,LOF,AS-1,N7 etc.? Is there a date code that tells you this was a Feb. 1960 built windshield, or completed truck? Thanks for the great pictures, most helpful indeed. Greg Mead

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 01:24 AM
First no I don't think the green has faded. I looked at my 58 impala that spent 45 years garaged near BELLINGHAM WA. Not much sun and a 43.000 mile car. I think the aftermarket green is to green. If you are having the info etched on new glass you want the AS 1 that means front glass. Then match the date code to your side glass. That's the letters to the right of the LOF logo. Its probably is yc or yy some times there is a # following the 2 letters. The first y is for 59.

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 01:32 AM
One more thing. Dating a truck without a build sheet is not to hard. The fenders are date stamped m/y. Near the hinge mount on the fender well. The engine has lots if casting #'s. Intake has m/d/y on top. Rear end gears and carrier are dated. Trannys have casting dates on the side. Plus the glass markings. If it has the original radio the inspection sticker has the inspector # and m/d/y. These dates usually predate assembly by a few weeks.

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 01:41 AM
I have a collection of these. These are in the seats. These build sheets and dates on the trucks have given
Me a good idea how to date a truck within a couple of weeks when these are gone. This sheet tells me thetruck was ordered march 29-1965 and was the 7th truck built on aApril 2 1965.

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Sorry for the poor pic. Here is a better one

1960HDGMC
November 15th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Green tint or clear, which in your opinion is closer to factory? Pilkington can make either. Also, my truck frame is dated 9-23-59,and the original owner took delivery in Pontiac in fall 1959. He is still alive,91,and a WWII vet and friend of mine. My side glass was all replaced and I do not have the old glass. Lets set an arbitrary date of September 23 ,1959 for the glass, to match the frame date code. What would be appropriate in that instance? I cant thank you enough for all your help in this matter, Greg Mead

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 04:10 AM
I would go with YT. This is august 59. I would go with the green. While I think its a bit off. Most people can't tell. I can get 5 or 6 60-61 trucks together and most can't see the difference. Its subtle.

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 04:15 AM
my experience with first year rigs is the parts are a bit older than the assembly dates. Sub contractors produced more to meet demand and production was a bit slower due to the new changes.

GMCNUT
November 15th, 2014, 01:08 PM
That last pic is from the inside.

The 2nd pic shows the correct green tinted "E-Z-Eye" logo - E Z Eye was used in the 50s cars and trucks and was later replaced around 1961-62 with "Soft Ray" which was used into the 70's. Seems like E Z Eye glass was laminated where Soft Ray was whatever you call the opposite of laminated - single pane in other words. In any case, the green tint did fade and depending on what part of the country the truck sat exposed in, some are worse than others - here in the South, we get a lot of hot hot sunshine, and when you walk upto a soft Ray or E Z Eye glass that's been here 50+ years, its nearly clear. Barrys 2nd pic looks pretty badly faded. The glass started out dramatically greener than clear glass and was offered on trucks as an option - had nothing to do with what style of truck you got, because it was a stand alone option, but seems like tinted windshields were part of the Custom Cab option - so if you got the full foam seat, passenger visor and armrest, and chrome around the windshield, then the windshield itself would be green tinted. My 66 Chevrolet is a custom cab and oddly it has factory tinted glass all the way around - doors, vents and big rear glass. There is a company in Washington state that will etch your E-Z-Eye logos and date codes on new glass you send or buy from them, but now I cant remember who that company is - been a long time since I was considering being that picky about my glass. Now I am OK without the logos but like you I want the right green glass - so today's reproductions are about right, BUT you have to really search to find a company selling green glass windshields with NO dark band at the top - this is incorrect for 50's and 60's trucks - only green glass top to bottom with no added sun shade band. Most people want the sun shaded band on their glass for the obvious benefit, but its not correct and makes the truck look very different to me. Vintage Glass in Atlanta will special order windshields for these 60s trucks with only green tint / no band. So good luck with your replacement - thats a **** good looking truck.

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 02:18 PM
The E-Z-eye glass pictured is a march of 65 glass according to my date books. All of the windshields are laminated. E-z - eye is laminated plate glass with green tint. Soft-ray is laminated float glass with tint.

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 02:25 PM
One more thought. E-z-glass only was a Libby, owens,ford . Product. Only lof glass has it. Soft ray was a gm trademark. And was used by lof and ppg glass on gm products.

1960HDGMC
November 15th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Great Info guys. I have decided to go with the Green Tinted Pilkington Glass Co. Windshield. Can you each tell me line by line, what markings I need them to apply. I have decided to date the windshield from September,1959. Better yet a drawing of what it should look like, or a picture of an original that might just need a few changes to be correct. I have to supply the artwork for Pilkington to apply, so I need to get consensus from you guys on what exactly I need for this particular application. Almost forgot, I need to know exactly where to have it applied. Were they all placed exactly the same, or were they randomly done? Thanks again for all the help. Greg Mead

BarryGMC
November 15th, 2014, 03:08 PM
AY date is sept. TY is august. 1959. I will get a better pic of the e-z- glass. And its location and size. Just remember its backwards from the outside. Just remember that judging allows for about 6 months prior to assembly on dated parts. Early first year of production and January- February rigs have older parts . Due to production adjustments and holiday shutdowns.

1960HDGMC
November 15th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Here is the info on my VIN Plate:

1002 P N2493A

(w/ Frame dated 9-26-59)

As I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, each plant started production with number 1001, so that plants first truck would have a VIN of 1002 P N1001. By that logic, my truck is the 1492nd truck built at that plant. I guess there are VINs with the same number, with only the plant letter to differentiate them. I wonder if the different plants started production in unison, or if Pontiac, being the home team, may have started first.
As for the optional glass tint versus clear, I can not find a part number in the 1960 Master Parts Book, or the 1960 GMC Accessories booklet or tri-fold flyer. Seems like I thought there was an upgrade for windshields with the Custom Package, but I have not found it in print ,yet. If there was an upgrade available in 1960,would it have been Greenish for Deluxe and Shade Banded for Custom, or Clear for Deluxe and Green tint No Band for Custom. Where can I find print that eludes to the windshield upgrade for 1960 GMC?
My windshield has front bottom center, read from front of truck outside, GUARDIAN
SHADED
LAMINATED
AS-1 64
I assume it was made in 1964. I would say it is Green tint with Blue Band. It is butt ugly to me ,and then we cracked it, strike two, its out. Lets get it back to factory specs for a Custom 1002 . Thanks for all the help, Greg Mead

GMCNUT
November 16th, 2014, 01:06 AM
The E-Z-eye glass pictured is a march of 65 glass according to my date books. All of the windshields are laminated. E-z - eye is laminated plate glass with green tint. Soft-ray is laminated float glass with tint.

I have never seen or heard of anyone having a truck of any make with E-Z Eye glass in it after about 1960, so not sure why I only see Soft Ray after about this time - this is very peculiar if yours is on a 1965 truck....

BarryGMC
November 16th, 2014, 03:29 AM
That's a replacement windshield in a 62 truck. Its lof date code is march 1965. The m30 is the style or what could be called a part #. A friend of mine has thousands of pieces of lof glass. That are new. With dates into the 70's. A lot of it is e-z-eye. I compared some of it to new green and found it to be lighter. Sorry he has no truck front glass.

BarryGMC
November 16th, 2014, 03:44 AM
E-Z-EYE is a trademark of lof. Lof continued to make replacement glass for years with that logo. I have seen it on 67-72 trucks and a few other cars into the 70's. Soft ray is a gm trademark and ppg and lof put it on there glass for OEM use by general motors .

BarryGMC
November 16th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Not OEM. But its in another 60. Shat.r.proof. I got one more of these. Green tint.

1960HDGMC
November 20th, 2014, 10:29 PM
OK, Here is a preliminary sketch I came up with, based on you guys input. I am asking you guys in the know, to proofread it before I send it to the glass company. I am not sure what it all means. I am not sure this is exactly correct for my particular truck. Can you guys tell me if this is correct for a September 1959 made windshield, placed in an early Pontiac Plant produced truck? After establishing the text, I will ask about placement and from which side the text is readable. Thanks again for all the help. Greg Mead

BarryGMC
November 20th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Get rid of the bottom line. That's the DOT info that was required in the mid 60's.

BarryGMC
November 20th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Widest part is 1.4 inches. Top to bottom .60. Big letters .16 small letters .12

1960HDGMC
November 21st, 2014, 12:29 AM
Great info. So for clarity, I have it correct ,except I need to get rid of the entire bottom line of text? Would you mind if I passed the pictures you just sent, so that he can get the text fonts? I will not pass them along unless and until you give me the OK to send them. I see this guy is in the truck. Is there a way you could measure to the bottom of my new bottom row, from the bottom of the windshield. Also from the left edge of the "S" in Safety, to the left edge of glass. I assume the text is level with ground if truck is at factory curb height, parked on level ground, which mine is. Please verify that this is correct.
Have you seen enough of these to know if the text is always placed exactly in the same relative place, or is there a human element to there placement, in your opinion. I assume that a person applied a template based on some guide points, and then did what they did to get the text etched into the glass. Any idea if these were hand etched or machine etched somehow?
Again, thanks for all the help. Much of this information I simply have not been able to glean elsewhere, so it helps me a lot. Greg Mead

BarryGMC
November 21st, 2014, 02:08 AM
You can send any pic you want. Most seem to be in about the same spot. I will post some more measurements tomorrow. Yes lose the bottom line. Just so you know this info was sand blasted into the glass.

1960HDGMC
November 21st, 2014, 02:23 AM
Thanks Barry, I will check back tomorrow for the placement info. I believe the glass man said they could etch it into the glass. Honestly, I think you could get a clear cling - on sticker and just stick it where it goes. You would have to look close to see it. Or even a waterslide type we use in vintage instrument repairs to keep the text on the instruments looking original. You could change your mind that way too. But I want to get it as close to factory as I can. Thanks again for all the help, Greg Mead

AZKen
November 21st, 2014, 10:56 PM
Wow, posts like this make me feel insignificant. Shade tree. Dirty. Greasy. I'm just worried on how to get my axle back in. Clean up the frame a little. I will never get to the glass markings at this rate.....shrug.... take a swig..... :guzzle:...better!

1960HDGMC
November 22nd, 2014, 01:12 AM
AZKen, I feel like a knat on a Elephants back on here. It seems I know less and less than I thought I knew, with every visit. Certainly humbling. But I am glad to have a forum to be able to ask about this minutia infinitum, and not be asked to step quietly into the padded truck. Hope its a GMC too, so I know what to look for, ha,ha. By the way, you swigged in reverse order. Always swig first. Later, Greg Mead

AZKen
November 22nd, 2014, 02:31 AM
:guzzle: Greg, you have a nice truck and don't blame you for wanting it correct. Don't pay attention to my jealousy. :getrdone2:
Ken

BarryGMC
November 24th, 2014, 10:36 PM
2 inches from the post edge to the center of the log logo and 1-7/8 from the bottom to center of logo.

1960HDGMC
December 1st, 2014, 11:05 PM
Well I spoke with the fellow at Pilkington Glass today. They zipped me these date codes for 1958-1969. I do not know if they are GM wide, just GMC, or what. They seem to jive with what BarryGMC told me. TY for August 1959 and AY for Sept. 1959. I assume the month comes first and the year comes second. Hope the code helps somebody else out. Later, Greg Mead

1960HDGMC
December 1st, 2014, 11:12 PM
Forgot to mention, they do still actually sandblast the info onto the glass, just like in the old days.

1960HDGMC
December 1st, 2014, 11:20 PM
OK, They can blast this on my glass tomorrow,i f I have it right. I think the date code is reversed. I believe it should read "TY" ,T for August, Y for 1959. Is this code read left to right: Month Year ? If so, TY is correct and YT was backwards.
Are there any other glaring mistakes that anyone can see? I sure want to get it right before I tell him to blast it. Thanks for every ones input on this, Greg Mead