PDA

View Full Version : Project "Honor your Father" - Ultra quick boat project (I hope)

FetchMeAPepsi
March 19th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Like I mentioned in my Cecilia thread my father had a heart attack and almost died. If not for the luck of having someone walk by and see him lying blue-faced on the sidewalk :ahhhh: he would be dead and in the ground with so much unsaid between us.

What I didn't say is is that his wife decided that she was going to leave him while he was in the hospital too. He won't be able to work anymore and that'll put a crimp on her finances (I'm guessing) so she's done. The divorce will be final in May.

Between now and then I'm fixing up his house enough to sell. I've repaired floors that were sinking (big job) and repaired a fiberglass bath tub so far. It's tough work in the heat. The fiberglass tub re-cracked though so I'll be patching that again I guess.

I also have to fix up a few holes in the walls. My dad...he's not much of a spit and polish guy. If he needs to repair something in a wall he'll cut a hole in the wall, do the repair, then caulk the wall piece back in.

That's right, like bathroom caulk! So I have to tear all that out and re mud it. I've been practicing at home and I think I can pull this off with a reasonable degree of success.

Finally, I have to rent (probably) two different UHaul big trucks and haul all of his stuff here with me and put it in storage. Then I'll move him up here and put him in a place he can live out his days visiting grandkids and going fishing and hunting with me. Wife and time permitting :lolsmack2:

FetchMeAPepsi
March 19th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Part of that goal requires a boat. "Ever' man oughta own a boat", he used to say. Well I never did but I've always kinda secretly wanted one. We'll see how it goes. Right now I'm leaning toward a used Ranger or Skeeter bass boat. That should be fun for he and I to fish off of and I can drag the wife up on a pair of skis from time to time too.

I've already looked at two. One was a no-name from the 1980s, but it wasn't decent enough for the wife to sign off on. The second was a Ranger from the 90's but the guy wanted too much money. I'm hoping to have something by May so we can get out on the water as quickly as possible. I'll update with pics after the next candidate shows up.

bobdylan
March 21st, 2016, 02:54 PM
Try and find an aluminum boat, much lighter, does not require as much pwer to pull someone on skis. Lowe makes a nice boat and were made in Mo. Should be easy to find in kansas. Good luck. I will keep an eye out for one, I live north of Lawrence Ks.

FetchMeAPepsi
March 21st, 2016, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the tip Bob. I looked at an aluminum but the old man says they tend to crack at the seams and dents are tough to repair. Are you running aluminum?

bobdylan
March 22nd, 2016, 03:26 AM
yes I am running a 22 foot aluminum Lowe deck boat,has a live well and trolling motor, not pretty but gets the job done, Before that had a princecraft 17 foot fish and ski aluminum, had to go to the bigger boat because I have 6 kids at home. Aluminum are much lighter than fiberglass, also a dent when you hit somethingis better than that a hole ar crack you would get with fiberglass. Bob

FetchMeAPepsi
March 22nd, 2016, 01:38 PM
Hmm, I didn't think of that. I'll add Alums to my list of possibilities. I'm on a tight budget so it might come down to whatever is affordable, but that opens a bunch more possibilities. I didn't know they had live wells etc. :signthankspin:

FetchMeAPepsi
April 12th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Well it's done, my friends! I'm now the owner of a 19 foot 1996 Skeeter. Super stable platform for old-man style fishin. I'll drop a ton of pics on the fix-it portion all at once so Ron doesn't beat on me again (haha) for having too many posts on non-GMC stuff.

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>)

I have to fix the motor. It won't start and overheats when it does. And I have to fix the seats plus a few other odds and ends. Let the learning experience begin!

GMCDAC
April 13th, 2016, 01:55 AM
That looks like a great setup! "Ron" hasn't been back since the day after the tantrum over two years ago so I would let that go. Jeannie gave her approval to your project then and I'm sure she will now! Lets see some more pics and get Dad to pose with it!

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi
April 14th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Well OK then. I've done a few things already. Pics will be up soon. Here's my repair list:

Trolling motor wire cover
Clean up wiring under dash
Front step pad
Skiing eyelet
Fish finder
Transducer
Spare Tire Hold-Down bolt
Oil pump-------------------------Check!
Title change---------------------Check!
Oil level gauge
Trim button in front
Skeeter side decals
Registration decals
Water pump
Spark plug-----------------------Check!
Seats----------------------------Check!
Bearing cap----------------------Check!
Bearing Zerk Screws
Bearing grease
Boat lights
Trim tab
Trailer lights
Skeeter brand Charger

FetchMeAPepsi
April 14th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Ok here's a small picture drop. I got a Lawrance finder with it but it's not mounted or wired in. I need to do that. There's a ton of wires. At least there are also labels!

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br> (<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>)

And the first thing I messed with - the oil injection system. These motors have a tank by the gas tank that is full of what seems to be weed eater style oil. There's a pump by that tank that pumps the oil into a reservoir on the engine, then a second pump in the motor dribbles oil into the carbs (there's 3!) from the reservoir. Mine wasn't pumping anything onto my tissue.

And behind my reservoir there was a busted off bolt. Turned out it wasn't a big deal, but I tried to drill it out anyway. I ended up making a mess.

Finally, here's me measuring the SKEETER on the side for new decals. Look at that sparkly paint! Nobody sells these older decals anymore so I had to order some made up. Cost me $15 whole dollars. :ahhhh:

FetchMeAPepsi
April 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM
The oil pump replacement wasn't too bad. I found it plugged in to two little round wires. I was worried I was going to have to cut it. That repair cost me $150 bucks.

Since this isn't a step by step style because I thought Ron would have a fit, I don't have a bunch of how-to pics. But here's some of the kids helping out.

First, The Boy playing Pilot. The little Blonde is now old enough to get outside and get into stuff (4) so she's got a sponge and she's soaping up the inside.

Here's The Boy, The Powder Puff, and the Little Blonde soaping up and using the shop vac to suck out the random leaves, dead and dried up minnows, and whatnot from all the storage on this thing. You could hide an army in all the cubbys!

Here's the seat problem. All the seats were like this.

Here's the Powder Puff working on removing the seat backs. They only use two screws to hold them down. There's two hooks on the back that just slip on receivers.

I took one of the seats down to an upholstery shop and they said, "No can do. You probably need new seats. It'll be $650.00". I said thanks and went straight to Wal-Mart. I bought some white thread for sewing blue jeans (tough stuff) and some thick needles. In two days I had them all repaired. They weren't even ripped, just the seams had popped. Total cost - About $4.00 :upyes:

Of course my hands felt like they had arthritis for 4 days afterward, but it was worth it. :teehee:

FetchMeAPepsi
April 14th, 2016, 04:40 PM
I had some oil pump and seat repair photos so here's a few of those. The seats had just popped the threads in the seams, like I mentioned earlier. To start, the Powder Puff took them off and I spent the $4.00 on thread and needles.

I took out 4 screws holding the bottom plate on.

Then came the surprisingly long task of removing the staples. This took longer than the sewing. Like, an hour per seat! I used the booger picker to get them started up then if they didn't fly across the room I used a pair of pliers to get them the rest of the way out.

From there I just peeled back the vinyl seat coverings carefully so as not to rip them.

Then I got to sewing like a little old granny. La'dee dah. Put the radio on, Fred. I think Howdy Doodie is on. :oldman:

FetchMeAPepsi
April 14th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Two days later I finished up the sewing and such then I stapled the vinyl back on. It looked great!

Here's a random shot of a wire under the cowling that has apparently been bypassed. I never found out what it went to.

These two wires behind the fuel pumps were both loose enough you could pull them out with a single finger. I re-did both of them.

FetchMeAPepsi
April 14th, 2016, 04:56 PM
The trolling motor battery connection was worn through too. Replaced that with the leftover connection I used on Cecilia :)

The Little Blonde helped me remove the oil fill tube...

So we could dig this little pump out. It's nestled inside a hole in the back of the fill tank by the outside wall. NOTHING holds it in there. I used huge 3ft long zip ties to put it back in there.

While all this was going on our "sometimes" cat that visits in the evenings delivered a present, four actually.

Kids got distracted by the kittens so I removed the lower unit myself. First I drained the oil, then took out the six big bolts.

FetchMeAPepsi
April 14th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Lower unit dropped, it's pretty heavy so if anyone does this have a lowering plan. The white plastic on the shaft there is the water pump.

The water pump isn't like with cars. You can't just replace them. You have to buy the parts and rebuild them. It's good practice for learning how some water pumps work.

Inside there's a huge finned circle thingy made of tough rubber. Under that on mine was two spacers or something. No wonder the water pump didn't work!

I'm waiting on parts for the water pump now.

While I waited I put the cord on the Skeeter battery charger. It was cut in half for some reason. It charges two batteries at once. Pretty nifty.

That's all I've done yet. These parts came in the last two days. I'll be messing with the trailer bearings tomorrow then the water pump Monday or Tuesday if I get time.

The first picture is fancy greaseable hubs. You don't have to knock the cap off anymore, just pull out the rubber stopper, grease the zerk fittings, and off you go. Also in the first pic is the trim tab. It was missing from my boat.

The second pic is a zerk fitting set, the oil level gauge, and my mal-formed skeeter decals. They came in too short. With the zerk fittings, I'll put new ones in the trailer since they were both broken off and not working. I drilled them out starting with small drill bits then working my way up. They wouldn't come out by themselves.

And that's it so far. The kids have named the new boat "Nemo" after the slightly gimpy fish on the cartoon. I think it fits, for now ;)

bobdylan
April 15th, 2016, 03:19 AM
You will want to replace the water pump, that is considered a maintenance item. I could not tell from the photo. What brand engine. On Johnsone Evinrude motors, oil pump and fuel pump are all in one. Fuel part might work right and oil side not work, the cheap thing to do is do away with the oil injection and mix gas. Let me know if you have any questions, my neighbor is a boat mechanic.

FetchMeAPepsi
April 15th, 2016, 01:04 PM
You will want to replace the water pump, that is considered a maintenance item. I could not tell from the photo. What brand engine. On Johnsone Evinrude motors, oil pump and fuel pump are all in one. Fuel part might work right and oil side not work, the cheap thing to do is do away with the oil injection and mix gas. Let me know if you have any questions, my neighbor is a boat mechanic.

That's good advice! :signthankspin: I might mix gas anyway for safety. Seems like too many moving parts in there for things to be reliable. Maybe it's trustworthy, but it seems like 1 million points of failure.

The motor is a Yamaha 175. It has two fuel pumps on the side of the carbs and two injection tubes for oil on top of each set of carbs. It's a lot to get your head around when you first pop the cowling, I can tell you that haha!

bobdylan
April 15th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Sorry. I missed the post where you were already replacing the water pump. My water pump was shot from running the boat up onto the sand, and running sand thru the pump.

FetchMeAPepsi
April 15th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Sorry. I missed the post where you were already replacing the water pump. My water pump was shot from running the boat up onto the sand, and running sand thru the pump.

Haha, I bet that'll do it! All our lakes have sand so I'll need to watch out for that. Never driven a boat before so this entire thing will be a learning experience.

For the water pump, this D-Ray guy has it all figured out for me. I always forget about Youtube, but man there's just about anything you want on there anymore.

nUyh-0so5ks
ef_ys3nIkXo

FetchMeAPepsi
June 8th, 2016, 12:59 AM
Long story made short due to loss of pics :(

Replaced water pump, wiring to the dash switches, plan to replace fuse box because it only works half the time at powering things unless you wiggle the wires. Suspect corrosion but can't see anything when I take it apart. He runs though...or well, he did. We've been fishing up a storm. Powder puff caught a 5 lb 4 oz blue cat on a spinnerbait of all things! Also been dropping lots of stuff overboard. My jump-box (200 bucks), a rod and reel I inhereted (130 bucks), a pair of sunglasses (30 bucks), My phone with all my pics ($200 bucks), and many little things. Didn't know what a klutz I was until this past two months.

And then things turned nasty this past weekend. We made two fun-trips around the lake before settling down in our fishing hole. About 20 minutes of good hard running at wide open throttle.

When we stopped we heard a horrible rattling noise coming from the engine and it just died. KAPUT! Opened the head to look at the pistons and this is what I found.

I priced a new motor. $10,000! Yeah right! Second hand is still more than I gave for Cecilia. No way buddy. So today I pulled the powerhead. I'm about to learn how to do pistons. 4 1/2 hours of work and the powerhead is sitting on the ground in my garage.

Oh, and the Dad in this picture? He got to feeling better and true to his scottish nature became stubborn, went back to work and said he'd try to visit every few months.

I'm not mad, just sad about it. Good news is the Powderpuff, The Boy, and The Little Blonde are all making wonderful memories with me fishing, swimming, and flying down the lake on a tiny pad of water with the wind in our hair.

And now we'll have more memories as we rebuild the engine that pushed us for what? 3 months now? Life is an adventure I guess.

bobdylan
June 8th, 2016, 02:01 AM
I quess that is why they say, the 2 best boating days, are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
If it will make you feel any better, I need to pull the powere head off of my 115 Johnson because water is pumping out thu the seal.
Glad to here your Dad is feeling better.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 8th, 2016, 03:06 AM
I quess that is why they say, the 2 best boating days, are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
If it will make you feel any better, I need to pull the powere head off of my 115 Johnson because water is pumping out thu the seal.
Glad to here your Dad is feeling better.

Haha, that's for sure! I'm more upset about my dad moving back 4-6 hours & change away than I am about the motor, but it is what it is on both counts. I got ahead of myself thinking I'd get this boat and "lure" him into wanting to hang out and do stuff like back in the old days. Maybe we're both different people now or something. IDK. Anyway, he's back doing the same thing he did before the heart attack and neither one of us are getting any younger. I can't help but think that we're both missing out.

/end whining.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 10th, 2016, 12:58 AM
Got the powerhead off yesterday, got alot of the electronics off today> When taking the flywheel off this silly piston popped out altogether.

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

Here's a pic of the head with little aluminum bits on it.

<br><font color='red'>To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?</font><br>

And a pic of the inside after the piston fell out. Surprisingly, the only serious scarring seems to be a 1/4" scratch right on the bottom right where you see the pieces hitting in this pic.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 13th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Man I'm learning a TON of stuff on this boat motor (2 stroke) that will crossover to Cecilia when the time comes. I've got all the extraneous stuff off now including the oil injection, carbs, and electronics. I hope I can get it all back together :ahhhh:

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the oil seals off each end so I can finally break open the case. I've got a new piston on standby. I will need to order new rings and a wrist pin too (I think). Heck, even knowing what a wrist pin is makes a big step forward!

FetchMeAPepsi
June 14th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Got all the end caps off and now I'm sitting on a case that is stuck together. Heard I'm going to have to bang it apart with a block of wood and a hammer. Hope I don't break anything.

Also, a super helpful "little bird" told me that I possibly had an air leak in my engine and that caused it to run lean, making it break up the piston. Better put all new gaskets in I guess!

:)

I'll update when I get the case broke open and let you guys know how it's going.

FetchMeAPepsi
June 16th, 2016, 12:01 AM
I got my crankcase apart! There were four more bolts I was missing. Luckily I didn't bang on the case with anyting more than a piece of wood. Tada! So satisfying.

I was out of time today, but here's the plan right now. Clean up the intake with Carb Cleaner and get all those little flecks of metal out. Then take the two bolts off the piston thingy and push the rod and all up through the piston hole. Then clean it all up with carb cleaner. Then find out if it's scarred on the inside. If not too bad, throw my new piston in it and start putting her back together.

Final step: Take these kids fishin! :runhappy::runhappy::runhappy::runhappy:

FetchMeAPepsi
June 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I don't think anyone's watching this but me and Bob, but I'll post this anyway. I got my crank out today and that let me see down in the cylinders better. They're not perfect, but I think they'd work OK.

First, the exhaust port for the piston (ask me how I figured that one out haha) is a little wallered out. That might be OK, I don't know. It's got a larger opening instead of just a little divit at the top. Here's a good piston hole:

And the bad one:

If that's OK, then there's one final uh-oh. After spraying carb cleaner all over the place (and my face, and my um...longstepper? - you do NOT want that! DON'T STAND IN FRONT OF THE EXHAUST WHILE YOU DO THIS!) I discovered one tiny flaw...

Is this a deal killer or can I have it welded or does it really even matter since it's just the weight area on the crank? JB Weld? :D

FetchMeAPepsi
June 17th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Well, Fetch. That's quite a hole you have there. Good news is any machine shop can patch that hole with a TIG welder and boom, you're back in business.

(I just found this out today. Dropped him off and $50.00 & three days later I'll be putting him back together again)

FetchMeAPepsi
July 7th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Three days turned into three weeks. My machinist was backed up and he's a perfectionist so he put it on a machine to get it ground down right and blah blah blah. I just dropped off the bolts for the intake so he could bolt it to a machine to bore it out. It should be ready to go in about 2 hours. If so, I'll start putting him back together tomorrow. While I waited I put the entire fuse box (minus the fuses) in a bag of CLR to dissolve some of the corrosion. It worked great. 24 hours later my fusebox was clean and ready to go. I might do this with Cecilia's box when I get around to it.

That solved a lot of my electrical problems. I did have to re-wire the front depth finder, but that's not a big deal.

And that's it for the update. I don't have pics (boo!!) but once the motor's back I hope I can remember how to get it back together. The kids are dying to go fishing.

Final thought: It's funny, I bought this thing that I didn't want to hang out with my father, who decided he didn't want to hang out after all. I ended up enjoying the heck out of it, using it as a project (even if I didn't mean to) with my kids, and giving them some of the most enjoyable memories of their young lives. Life is beautiful, even when it isn't. :teehee:

FetchMeAPepsi
July 20th, 2016, 03:00 AM
Finally got my block back and it had aluminum mashed into the cylinder sleeve. So I guess I'll be re-sleeving it. Now I need to find a place that sells sleeves pretty cheap.

Charon
July 20th, 2016, 05:53 AM
You can't change those sleeves. That aluminum came from your pistons. Scrape it out . Call it good. And give it a hone. This is my last post pep. Hope you see it. Can't take the ignorance. Good luck here. I will email you and send some parts your way. Barry.

FetchMeAPepsi
August 4th, 2016, 04:22 AM
I tried removing the sleeve and failed so bad. burned up a pair of gloves and smoked up the house. I ended up having the sleeve redone at a pro shop for $250 bucks. Arrgh!
But it's on the way to going back together now. Thankfully.
Once it's running again I can get back on Cecilia. I'd really like to drag the boat with her. :beer:

FetchMeAPepsi
August 6th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Sleeve is done and I'm putting him back together. Sooooo satisfying. Powder Puff is ready to go fishing again. Here's a pic of the crankcase all buttoned up. I learned a ton on this project. Let's hope it still runs when I get it back together and doesn't just blow up haha!