6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Other Rides and Projects (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1966 c20 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48548)

GMCDAC April 4th, 2015 12:39 AM

Re: 1966 c20

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Hantke, I decided to man-up and get the shield off of my spare engine. Here are pics of it so you may get an idea of what to look for. Now maybe one of these days I will get the matching flywheel pan and this painted up and spend a an hour or two on the hoist at work swapping it out on the '55 instead of waiting what may be years before the engine has to come out!

Pic1-approximate view in place similar to your missing pic.
Pic2-flywheel side
Pic3-engine side

DAC

Hantke April 4th, 2015 03:28 AM

Cool! Thanks! I can't wait to have this thing running again! It's gonna be great to take it out on the road and know it'll be reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hantke April 11th, 2015 04:54 AM

Little by little she's going back together! I want to replace the old bolts, but right now I'm content with just making it all fit back together correctly

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Hantke May 1st, 2015 04:57 AM

Is there a way to bypass the ignition and make the engine turnover? I'm trying to isolate a wiring issue and see if I can get it to start again soon

OLDTRUCKHAULER May 1st, 2015 03:24 PM

Hantke,

Make a starter switch with a push button and 2 wires with alligator clips on th end of them. Take one wire to the positive wire on the starter solenoid, and the other wire to the top left small stud on the starter solenoid. This should let you turn it over from under the hood without starting. If you go to the lower right small stud, it should start. Make sure you are clear of the fan, in case I'm thinking backwards.

Hantke May 1st, 2015 08:13 PM

Awesome, thanks! It's got no carb actually attached to the intake, I'm going to test fuel flow and all that first, then I'm hooking everything up and going through the wiring. Gotta get this behemoth out of the driveway!

Hantke May 2nd, 2015 04:40 AM

1966 c20

I get the feeling this was jerry rigged

Hantke May 2nd, 2015 04:45 AM

1966 c20

So I tried the positive to the left stud, nothing happened. Tried positive to the right stud, it sprayed sparks.

*update*

Disconnected battery and messed with some wiring, tried again and still nothing. I think now that the starter is just fried, it was already on the fritz anyways.

Hantke May 9th, 2015 04:09 AM

1966 c20

So I got the starter tested and it failed horribly, two different stores (gotta double check, right?) had it just make a loud thump then nothing. So I got a new starter thinking it was a good idea. The gear on the new starter is set so far back I don't even know how it could possibly connect if I wanted it to, and, the housing around the gear is actually between the gear mesh (go figure) so it will need to be trimmed. Is there a way adjust the positioning of the gear on the starter? The guys at the part store kept the booklet and the box to take my old core

Hantke May 9th, 2015 04:10 AM

1966 c20

New starter positioning:

And I just learned what shimming a starter does, sounds like I have a new project. Unfortunately I only have two spots to attach the starter instead of three because someone broke a bolt off in there and left it