6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48103)

aphaynes June 9th, 2014 08:47 PM

Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 53714)
You are going to love this... :)

There are 4 bolts holding that assembly in place. 2 on each side.
They go into it from the backside. I think both bolts each side are accessible from the inside of the front fender well.
Or...
One each side from inside of fender, and one each side from inside the engine compartment.
Its been a while since I removed/replaced one.

:saywhat: Seriously?!? Am I that blind? :banghead:
Can't wait to get home and confirm this. :toofunny::signthankspin:

My headlight connectors and headlight adjusters should be delivered today as well. This could be a good day :D

BarryGMC June 9th, 2014 09:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There are 4 on each side. 3 under the fender. One under these supports.

David R Leifheit June 9th, 2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 53715)
:saywhat: Seriously?!? Am I that blind? :banghead:
Can't wait to get home and confirm this. :toofunny::signthankspin:

My headlight connectors and headlight adjusters should be delivered today as well. This could be a good day :D

I don't know if you are "that blind" but I am that forgetful.
BarryGMC has it correct, there are 4 bolts each side (went out and looked at the spare assembly I have, looking at the trucks would have been a longer walk and I'm lazy... :) )

aphaynes June 9th, 2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53716)
There are 4 on each side. 3 under the fender. One under these supports.

Thanks! I already have the supports pulled from running wire. Should be able to get it off pretty quick. :)

aphaynes June 10th, 2014 02:20 AM

So much for quick:ahhhh:
I could not spot those bolts before because they were covered in whatever this is...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Looks like asphalt or something. Took forever to chip it off to get a rachet on the bolts. :poke:

Help I'm blind...

Some poor bondo work here. Not sure how this thing took a blow so high but it obviously did.

BarryGMC June 10th, 2014 02:26 AM

Alabama chip seal. Most of these trucks have quite a story so not much surprises me.

aphaynes June 10th, 2014 02:35 AM

LOL! Just amazes me how much I did not see when I was looking to buy it. :lolsmack2:
But I am learning a lot that I did not know before. :D

aphaynes June 16th, 2014 01:48 AM

Well, with the grill off, I got to do a lot of sanding to smooth out that bondo work. Never knew hand sanding could be so tiring. :ahhhh: Evidently the repair work that was done on it last was done while it was mounted to the truck. The roughest areas of the bondo work that was done was on the lower side of the grill were you can't see it to good when it is mounted. Plus all the white overspray that is on the truck in the pictures above in a previous post were a pretty good clue. :lolsmack2:

After pulling the grill, like the headlight bezels, there was a lot of rust on the back side. Most of it seemed to be barely more than surface rust, but since these grills seem hard to find, I went ahead and POR'd the backside. Sorry Fetch, no "before's". That was done after doing some additional metal straightening. In this pick the braces that hold the headlights had been manipulated back in position. When I removed the grill from the truck, they were still bent down into the grill. Not something you can really fix without removing it from the truck.

You can see evidence in the same pick, in the lower right corner of where holes were drilled, I assume to pull it straight, and bondo applied.

Here are the headlight buckets, all cleaned and painted with new adjusters.

Not sure how much I trust those nuts to not come loose.:headscratch:

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there! :yourock:

Andice June 16th, 2014 10:20 PM

Nice work. I remember doing the same thing to my grille, headlights, etc.

aphaynes June 16th, 2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andice (Post 53784)
Nice work. I remember doing the same thing to my grille, headlights, etc.

Thanks!