6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   351e V6 Up and Running - Starting Issue? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47705)

tommyduncan August 17th, 2013 01:43 AM

Re: 351e V6 Up and Running - Starting Issue?

Is it chilly in the morning when you start it? If it is I am very jealous since I live in Vegas with 90° lows...

...anyways, I was wondering if your choke is working? All a choke does is enrich the mixture which is essentially what you are doing.

AndrewJoey August 17th, 2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 49810)
Is it chilly in the morning when you start it? If it is I am very jealous since I live in Vegas with 90° lows...

...anyways, I was wondering if your choke is working? All a choke does is enrich the mixture which is essentially what you are doing.

Too funny, you have good timing. I actually adjusted the choke last night because it wasn't closing all the way. I did that and pumped my pedal slower allowing the acc. pump to raise and it started this morning without starting fluid. I'm getting closer, still unsure if my timing is right or not. It still pops a couple times here and there but I think I'm gonna just start driving it as is.

I'm afraid if I mess with the idle mixture that I'll do more damage than good since I'm clueless at this stuff.

tommyduncan August 18th, 2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJoey (Post 49825)
Too funny, you have good timing. I actually adjusted the choke last night because it wasn't closing all the way. I did that and pumped my pedal slower allowing the acc. pump to raise and it started this morning without starting fluid. I'm getting closer, still unsure if my timing is right or not. It still pops a couple times here and there but I think I'm gonna just start driving it as is.

I'm afraid if I mess with the idle mixture that I'll do more damage than good since I'm clueless at this stuff.

This is where you need to start buying/borrowing tools. A timing light and a vacuum gauge would be pretty helpful right now.

AndrewJoey December 30th, 2013 12:30 AM

Re: 351e V6 Carb Question?

Ok, It's been a while, but I did get a timing light and adjusted the timing. I still think it's a carb issue. I ordered a new vacuum advance, so I'll replace that and see if it still backfires on high rpms. I doubt that will fix it.

I want to make it a daily driver so I may replace the whole carb altogether. Does anyone know the right carb model and order number, and do they make a new carb for the 351e V6? I'm wondering if I'll need a special adapter to make it work?

I looked at Summit, and LMC, but can't really tell. No one ever lists the 351e.
Thanks for any info guys, I'm still pretty new at this, but I'm learning. I love this truck and want it on the road.