6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1966 Chevy Auto Column to 1960 GMC Issues (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48478)

1960HDGMC November 18th, 2014 10:56 PM

Re: 1966 Chevy Auto Column to 1960 GMC Issues

Do you think the GMC Auto Column would have comparable throw range to shift a 700-R4, as a TH-400 Chevy Column from a 1966 model? Pros and cons to each that jump out at you? Also, do you think there is a PRNDL that is close, or dead on for my 700-R4 tranny gears? Is there a supplier that you can recommend for a replacement Indicator? Would the GMC Auto Column swap in easier? And would the Hand Brake bolt up with either column? For a 700-R4, I would need PRND(or OD) 3 2 1 to show all gears selectable. As long as D is right, I guess the lower gears registering off a little is not the end of the world. But accurate readings would of course be preferable. Thank again for all the help. Greg Mead

1960HDGMC November 18th, 2014 11:05 PM

Great Pictures. I noticed you have a 100,000 miles register that is visible on your speedo. The one on my truck is hidden behind the faceplate. You can see only 10,000 miles, but the 100,000 miles does work, you just can not see it until you remove the speedo. Have you ever heard of such. It made me think of the running changes you mentioned concerning these real early, first year model trucks. If this is not the place to ask about this, please tell me where to type it. I am really new to this . It is a blast, but being easily side tracked, I have to really work to stay focused on here. Thanks again for all the help, Greg Mead

David R Leifheit November 19th, 2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 55475)
Great Pictures. I noticed you have a 100,000 miles register that is visible on your speedo. The one on my truck is hidden behind the faceplate. You can see only 10,000 miles, but the 100,000 miles does work, you just can not see it until you remove the speedo. Have you ever heard of such. It made me think of the running changes you mentioned concerning these real early, first year model trucks. If this is not the place to ask about this, please tell me where to type it. I am really new to this . It is a blast, but being easily side tracked, I have to really work to stay focused on here. Thanks again for all the help, Greg Mead

That is actually common. It seems some show all the miles digits (but not the tenths) and some show the tenths but not the hundred thousand.

With the column, does the indicator really need to be correct? As long as -you- know which position is drive... it would be (as I think you mentioned) one heck of a way to confuse a thief.

1960HDGMC November 19th, 2014 01:10 PM

David, Thanks for the info on the speedo. My truck show 10,000 miles. But no tenths of miles. I will have to look, but I think there is no tenths miles marker at all. There is the 100,000 marker, but it is hidden behind the face plate. But as best as I can remember, there was no tenths marker hidden or visible. I wonder what the logic was for hiding that 100,000 miles marker on these vehicles. Wish they had hidden a 1,000,000 miles marker while they were at it, for long term accuracy on these trucks that will not die.
As for the PRNDL, the early Auto Column would look confusing. Also, I understand that the Chevy 64-66 auto column can accept aftermarket turn signal replacements ( life saver going forward). I believe the early GMC auto columns do not accept them. Plus, I would think that the Chevy column in my truck would save a GMC Column for a needy GMC restoration.
Thanks again for the info and ideas, Greg Mead