6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48103)

aphaynes March 30th, 2014 06:10 PM

Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Ok. Could not find a part number in the manual for the crankcase breather. Figured, well just take the one of the engine to the store and see what yyou can find. Pulled off the cap to find the shell was empty and full of gunk :jaw-dropping:

So anyone know the part number for the filter that goes in here and how my big hand can get it cleaned out in that tight spot???

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

FetchMeAPepsi March 30th, 2014 07:11 PM

Cleaning it is easy. Soak it in carb cleaner overnight. Dont know about the fitler though. Mine is road draft ventilation tubed.

aphaynes March 30th, 2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52700)
Cleaning it is easy. Soak it in carb cleaner overnight. Dont know about the fitler though. Mine is road draft ventilation tubed.

Got a pic of that? ...I know you do. :)

aphaynes March 30th, 2014 08:17 PM

Should have just dug around here on the 6066 main site before scouring the web. Jolly's part list came through. Should be able to get it from NAPA

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

In the pic of mine, the center hole even looks plugged up. That concerns me since that should be an airway into the block correct?

aphaynes March 31st, 2014 02:09 AM

Got the carburetor tore down. Just have to pic up the kit and get her back together. I thought about taking pics, but all you have to do is hop over to FetchMeAPepsi's build thread and you have all the documentation you need! :D Thanks Fetch!

Still need to take more off the engine. I have oil coming out of the top rear of the engine and running down everywhere. :( It seems that for some reason there is no gasket under the plate that is under the intake manifold between the valve covers....no, I do not know what it is called. :) Won't know for sure until I pull more stuff off where I can see what is going on back there.

Also, that nice orange engine in my original photos....well...not sure what they did when they painted it, but it is flaking off various spots on the valve covers and block. Basically anywhere I touch it now it seems. :pullinghairout:

On a lighter note, when I brought the truck home, I was calling it rust bucket. Well, my daughter (10) has now officially named it Rusty! She spent the afternoon drawing "Rusty" in different styles because she plans to paint the name in floor of the bed. :lolflag:

FetchMeAPepsi March 31st, 2014 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 52702)
Got a pic of that? ...I know you do. :)

I thought I had one with the tranny pics but nope.

Its a hard very immovable steel pipe that pokes down the back of the engine. If you crawl under the truck for any reason it will seek out sore spots and poke you in them, usually around the temples and ears. Oh, and it drips oil too so you get a nice coating of facepaint as a bonus.
:takethat:

Its not my favorite feature lol.

aphaynes April 1st, 2014 02:45 AM

Well, didn't have much time today, but went hunting for the source oil...black gold...Texas tea! :D

Pulled the intake manifold to see this.

Looks like rivers of black coming from the passages. Not sure if that is a normal look under the manifold.

Tried to take some pics further back where the oil is but couldn't get my self back there where I could see. So some of these shots were taken blind :ahhhh:

In front of the distributor in pic below.... Something strange about the paint going on here. looks bubbly. Not sure whoever painted the engine knew what they were doing. The back piece of that top panel had been cleaned off by previous owner and he had tightened down on those back two screws, thinking the oil was coming out there. He thought he slowed it down and told me a gasket there was needed. Maybe he's right, but I don't know yet.

Driver side, rear of engine, distributor at top of pic, firewall to right side of pic. oil and gunk everywhere.

From passenger side, rear of engine, distributor to the right of pic, firewall to left. Oil and gunk running down everywhere.

With it running down from somewhere at the top, all over the transmission and evidently has sprayed onto the firewall, I really am not sure of the source. :pullinghairout:

jrmunn April 1st, 2014 03:14 PM

aphaynes,

I followed this thread down from where you found the plugged breather cap. My 1964 GMC with a 305E V6 has a different breather setup that leads to the air cleaner housing, but it does have an in-line filter that plugged up on me and apparently caused pressure to build up in the engine, which led to oil being pumped out the dipstick tube. So this is something else to think about. I remember it made a big mess on the passenger side, but I don't recall it spreading so much to the driver's side of the firewall. Before a more experienced neighbor pointed out what was happening, I had twice replaced valve cover gaskets with no affect on oil loss. After cleaning the breather filter (carburetor cleaner is good for this), the problem went away. Good luck finding the oil leak. I know it is hard to track back through the mess.

jrmunn

aphaynes April 1st, 2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmunn (Post 52736)
aphaynes,

I followed this thread down from where you found the plugged breather cap. My 1964 GMC with a 305E V6 has a different breather setup that leads to the air cleaner housing, but it does have an in-line filter that plugged up on me and apparently caused pressure to build up in the engine, which led to oil being pumped out the dipstick tube. So this is something else to think about. I remember it made a big mess on the passenger side, but I don't recall it spreading so much to the driver's side of the firewall. Before a more experienced neighbor pointed out what was happening, I had twice replaced valve cover gaskets with no affect on oil loss. After cleaning the breather filter (carburetor cleaner is good for this), the problem went away. Good luck finding the oil leak. I know it is hard to track back through the mess.

jrmunn

Thanks for the tip. I am still trying to find out how to remove that crankcase filter carriage so I can ensure I get it cleaned and unplugged. I can't find anything that shows if it screws into the block or is some sort of press fit. I don't want to damage it as it is apparently hard to find and I can't get a good view of it where it is located. :helpsign:

At work, someone also suggested oil could be coming from distributor seal. I had not considered that but might as well take a good look at it while I am in there.

Culver Adams April 1st, 2014 05:41 PM

(someone also suggested oil could be coming from distributor seal)

Hi Aphaynes,

Experimenting with alternatives to original road draft crankcase vent tube a 1965 Chevy 235 I6 engine, I closed off road draft crankcase vent tube. There was enough pressure in the crankcase to blow oil (like a gusher) up the space between distributor shaft and the vertical bored hole in which it is placed. The oil left the engine and went out to the world between the engine block and distributor flange. I opened up the crankcase vent again and, of course, the oil stayed where it belonged: thank you, gravity.

Suggests to me your clogged crankcase vent may be related to gushing oil.

Hope this helps, Here's hoping for a quick fix, and Regards,

Culver

aphaynes April 1st, 2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culver Adams (Post 52740)
(someone also suggested oil could be coming from distributor seal)

Hi Aphaynes,

Experimenting with alternatives to original road draft crankcase vent tube a 1965 Chevy 235 I6 engine, I closed off road draft crankcase vent tube. There was enough pressure in the crankcase to blow oil (like a gusher) up the space between distributor shaft and the vertical bored hole in which it is placed. The oil left the engine and went out to the world between the engine block and distributor flange. I opened up the crankcase vent again and, of course, the oil stayed where it belonged: thank you, gravity.

Suggests to me your clogged crankcase vent may be related to gushing oil.

Hope this helps, Here's hoping for a quick fix, and Regards,

Culver

Awesome! That to me is what looks like has been happening...gusher....the way it has covered the rear end of the engine, the trans housing, the firewall, etc. etc. I am trying to figure out now how to safely remove that so I can get it all cleaned up and get the gunk out of that center hole without sending it into the block. It appears to be a press fit, but it must be in their pretty tight. Of course the gunk is probably gluing it in. LOL.

Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully i can report good some good news when everything is cleaned up and put back together. Unfortunately, I'll be getting home to late tonight to do anything with it.

aphaynes April 3rd, 2014 04:20 PM

So the Crankcase Filter housing won't budge from the block after fighting with it for several hours. The center hole that allows air into the engine is completely clogged. I would just knock the stuff out of that hole, but then it is going to go into the engine. Evidently with the engine still in the truck there is no good way to get a grip or leverage on it to break it loose. Maybe a shop vac while breaking the crud in the center loose, followed by dumping the oil and pulling the pan to get any crud out that falls in? Seems like a lot of hassle for a part that should not be so difficult to remove.

Maybe cooling the area with something to get the metal breather housing portion to contract?

Culver Adams April 3rd, 2014 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52721)
I thought I had one with the tranny pics but nope.

Its a hard very immovable steel pipe that pokes down the back of the engine. If you crawl under the truck for any reason it will seek out sore spots and poke you in them, usually around the temples and ears. Oh, and it drips oil too so you get a nice coating of facepaint as a bonus.
:takethat:

Its not my favorite feature lol.

---
Hi Fetch and AP,

Attached, from "1960-1966 Chev/GMC Truck Factory Assembly Instruction Manual" is a drawing of crankcase road draft ventilation tube, also called crankcase vent and, among those with first hand experience, facepaint application tube. In drawing, it is labeled "Ventilator Assy." It is shown on the passenger side of a straight six engine. (The drawing does not show the cleverly concealed face-seeking mechanism on the lower end of the vent tube.)

Other versions replaced the open-to-the-road downdraft tube with a positive crankcase vent (pcv) valve and smaller tube to the intake manifold.

Regards and Hope this helps,

Culver

aphaynes April 3rd, 2014 08:27 PM

Thanks Culver. Unfortunately, I do not have a downdraft tube. My setup is just like what is shown on the club page

Here is the location of the item. Unfortunately, not so easy to handle with the engine in the truck. easy to change the filter though if that was all I needed to do right now. :D

Culver Adams April 3rd, 2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 52780)
Thanks Culver. Unfortunately, I do not have a downdraft tube. My setup is just like what is shown on the club page

Here is the location of the item. Unfortunately, not so easy to handle with the engine in the truck. easy to change the filter though if that was all I needed to do right now. :D

Hi AP,

From your post #44 I followed your link and I figured you might have a crankcase ventilation filter similar to NAPA's FIL 2718. In post #42, Fetch wrote, "...about the fitler though. Mine is road draft ventilation tubed." Then in post # 43, you wrote about that, "Got a pic of that? ...I know you do." And he responded, "I thought I had one with the tranny pics but nope. Its a hard very immovable steel pipe that pokes down the back of the engine..."

Putting 2 and 2 together and not coming up with an answer, I figured you were tired of pouring perfectly good carb cleaner into a black hole and might be looking for a way to scrap modern technology by going back to the good old days. Which, parenthetically, is precisely where I would be. And, like you, I would get out the torch. After I melted most of the crankcase ventilation filter's housing, I would thank the stars for confirming my battle plan i.e. reinvention/adaptation of the road draft vent. Hence the drawing makes perfect sense to me. If your luck with removal of existing is good or better, "Hats off" I say, followed by an apology for the confusion ;=) .

Regards and Good or better luck torching,

Culver

aphaynes April 3rd, 2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culver Adams (Post 52781)
Hi AP,

Putting 2 and 2 together and not coming up with an answer, I figured you were tired of pouring perfectly good carb cleaner into a black hole and might be looking for a way to scrap modern technology by going back to the good old days. Which, parenthetically, is precisely where I would be. And, like you, I would get out the torch. After I melted most of the crankcase ventilation filter's housing, I would thank the stars for confirming my battle plan i.e. reinvention/adaptation of the road draft vent. Hence the drawing makes perfect sense to me. If your luck with removal of existing is good or better, "Hats off" I say, followed by an apology for the confusion ;=) .

Regards and Good or better luck torching,

Culver

:D to funny. All info is greatly appreciated!
Yes I have been considering a change to either the older days of the road draft or newer days with tubes going to valve covers, etc., etc. Heck if odd stuff like this keeps up and with parts hard to find, I may have to take on the idea of a whole new modern engine. :jaw-dropping:

LOL...just a frustrating little bump in the road right now. I thought I would be done with this leaking business and be on to fixing up other issues. Oh well. At least I'm learning as I go! :woo:

Fetch - as for my little assistant and namer of truck, well...she saw a spider in the cab and won't go near it now. LOL. I have to "fumigate it" before she will get in it again. :D

jrmunn April 4th, 2014 04:54 AM

AP,

You may have a big enough audience on this thread to get feedback from someone who understands where the crud would go if you were able to break it up and some fell into the engine. If it goes straight to the pan bottom (below pump pickup and moving parts) without plugging any oil channels, would there be a problem? If you go the shop vac route, the bottom will probably fall into the engine before you get it all. My luck would be that I would also drop a tool into the hole. I am really surprised that carburetor cleaner does not soften it up, because it works really well on the much smaller amounts of crud on the little screen in my tube leading from the engine to the air cleaner.

jrmunn

BarryGMC April 4th, 2014 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a brass mesh in the tube. Blast it with Carb cleaner and then run some diesel through the hole to flush it out the oil drain.

aphaynes April 4th, 2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 52791)
There is a brass mesh in the tube. Blast it with Carb cleaner and then run some diesel through the hole to flush it out the oil drain.

Well alrighty then! I haven't seen anything that talked about mesh being in there. Many thanks! :tiphat: I was about to try to get that stuff out last night. On that note, I guess I don't need to remove the whole housing. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

BarryGMC April 5th, 2014 03:17 AM

While you are at it you should check the PVC valve. That's really why your engine is pressurizing. It needs vacuum to pull through the breather. While your at it put some new valve cover gaskets in. Glue them to the covers with black rtv. This lets you pull the covers with ease. Then check the valve lash hot. .012 intake, .018 exhaust. This is a big problem I have found with these old boys, to little lash. Finally find someone with a dwell meter and a vacuum guage and set the timing. I bet there is some old timer in northern Alabama with these tools and the know his to use them. Lastly when ever I think of the rural south I think of the movie deliverance. I bet you think of my neck of the woods and think randy weaver and the order. It's a draw. But we have better old rigs. Barry

BarryGMC April 5th, 2014 03:21 AM

I hate my I pad it spell checks for me and is often wrong. It's Pcv valve. Try it you will see.

aphaynes April 5th, 2014 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 52798)
While you are at it you should check the PVC valve. That's really why your engine is pressurizing. It needs vacuum to pull through the breather. While your at it put some new valve cover gaskets in. Glue them to the covers with black rtv. This lets you pull the covers with ease. Then check the valve lash hot. .012 intake, .018 exhaust. This is a big problem I have found with these old boys, to little lash. Finally find someone with a dwell meter and a vacuum guage and set the timing. I bet there is some old timer in northern Alabama with these tools and the know his to use them. Lastly when ever I think of the rural south I think of the movie deliverance. I bet you think of my neck of the woods and think randy weaver and the order. It's a draw. But we have better old rigs. Barry

Whew! :postgood: Well you lost me after pull the valve covers, but I will figure it out. :D A new phase of learning on this journey. :woo:

Carb kit arrived today so got that back together and set aside until it can be put back on the engine. Got the head set gasket kit as well, so I can get the ones I know are leaking ... and the valve covers to boot. Now .... off to go do some research on checking valve lash!

Foley April 5th, 2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 52798)
I bet you think of my neck of the woods and think randy weaver and the order. It's a draw. But we have better old rigs. Barry

Randy Weaver and Ruby Ridge, Naples, ID. Randy Weaver was my hero! He fought the Feds and ultimately won. However, the price he paid was enormous.

aphaynes April 6th, 2014 02:24 AM

Well just about got this thing clean today. I can see that shiny brass now. :)

The only way I can check the progress on it is using my cell phone camera to look at it. Just can't get my eyeballs directly on it. :ahhhh:

Well, to have worked on this thing most of the day, I don't seem to have gotten to far. :( Seems to take me forever to get all the old gasket material off the manifolds. Must have been super glued on there. :pullinghairout: Also pulled the valley pan and got all the bubbly paint off of it and cleaned that gasket area with shopvac in on hand and rags stuffed in all openings to keep junk out of the engine.

Decided to pull the distributor in case oil was blowing through there as Culver had suggested. I had really expected there to be a gasket or o-ring where the distributor sits on the block that would need replacing, but there wasn't. Am I mistaken on this assumption or did someone prior mess up by not putting one there???

Also, what's the best way to prep the intake manifold for paint, since the current paint job is flaking off? Note: I do not have access to any type of media blaster.

BarryGMC - may be a dumb question, but hey, I never claimed to be smart! :)
When I get to a point where I can check the valve lash, it seems as you stated, that has to be done with the engine hot. So do you pull the covers and let it run with them off, or let it get hot then attempt to pull the covers?

BarryGMC April 6th, 2014 01:55 PM

One of the first thing I do if the truck runs poorly is go through the carb, and check the ignition. Then I put valve cover gaskets in because most of them leak. If it has a Pcv valve like yours I clean it out. I do the oil change and run it a bit. It usually runs better. Most of the time though it's not running quite right. A miss or an occasional pop through the carb. This is when I check the lash on a solid lifter rig. And yes I pull the covers off hot. But since I already had them off once its easy. Then if it still has symptoms you can more easily narrow it down. I also some were in that process power wash the engine and trans. It really depends on the weather here though. Here there are 4 or 5 months that's not practical. With a clean and good running engine I then can. Look for any oil leaks as I shake down the rig. Honestly besides the valve cover gaskets the only places that usually really leak oil are the front and rear main seals. At this point I use the engine and start to take note of any other symptoms such as oil use or smoke. Then I go through a whole other process. Barry

Andice April 6th, 2014 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I am a little late to the party but here is an image of the breather filter canister. Looks like it is pressed in place. Probably very hard to remove because of its location. Glad you got the "clog" resolved. I never would have known there is a mesh filter in there!

aphaynes April 6th, 2014 05:48 PM

Thanks BarryGMC for laying all that out there for me! :tiphat:

Last question for now. :). Should the distributor have an oring where it sits on the block?

Going to be raining here the next couple of days so my playing is on hold. :(

bigblockv6 April 6th, 2014 06:13 PM

No oring is used, just a thin circular gasket that usually comes with an engine gasket set. I doubt you can buy it alone, most likely you would have to make your own gasket.

aphaynes April 6th, 2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 52830)
No oring is used, just a thin circular gasket that usually comes with an engine gasket set. I doubt you can buy it alone, most likely you would have to make your own gasket.

Thanks! When I pulled the distributor it didn't have anything and neither did the gasket set I bought. Thought that was odd.

bigblockv6 April 6th, 2014 06:29 PM

I bought a FelPro set for my 478, it came with the distributor gasket and also bought a few off brand sets that were compiled with either Victor or Felpro that didn't include the distributor gasket. I like the FelPro gasket set because it's so complete they even included two 4bbl carb gaskets for the optional dealer installed 4bbl manifold.

aphaynes April 6th, 2014 06:59 PM

Thanks. I got the Fel-Pro as well, but only got the Head Set portion. Should have gone ahead and got the full set I suppose. I'm sure I'll need them eventually. :ahhhh:

aphaynes April 11th, 2014 02:48 AM

Pulled the valve covers today. Looks pretty gunked in there.

Should I attempt to clean it now or put something in with the oil when it is back together, run it and drain oil again?

On the other side, I noticed this wire coming out of the firewall and just dangling. :ahhhh: Any idea what it goes to?

FetchMeAPepsi April 11th, 2014 04:28 AM

I can't say on the wire, but for the sludge I put this in one of our older cars. Run it for a few hundred miles then do an oil change, then do another dose and oil change. Clean as a whistle :thumbsup:

klausz April 11th, 2014 04:29 AM

Hi the wire goes onto the fan motor under the heater unit,hard to see from the top.

aphaynes April 11th, 2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52911)
I can't say on the wire, but for the sludge I put this in one of our older cars. Run it for a few hundred miles then do an oil change, then do another dose and oil change. Clean as a whistle :thumbsup:

Thanks Fetch! I'll check that out.

Changed the PCV valves under the valve covers just for kicks since I was already in there and they are cheap. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the pieces I have pulled while chasing my oil leak sources painted. Still have a little paint on the valve covers to get off. I got a little ill tempered over some inaccurate HOA citations I received today and called it quits...and they have not even seen me working on the truck yet. LOL.

Wish I could repaint the whole engine since it is flaking everywhere, but no means to pull the whole thing out...future project. :) Looks like "they" did a quick spray of the whole thing without any real prep. As I get flaking paint off, I see what looks like remains of older paint & grease.

aphaynes April 11th, 2014 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klausz (Post 52912)
Hi the wire goes onto the fan motor under the heater unit,hard to see from the top.

Thanks! :tiphat: I wondered if that was the case, but couldn't see an obvious connection. Since that wire is disconnected and the heater hoses are not even going to the assembly, I have to wonder what is wrong with the system and how to test it...time for more research...once I get the engine back together. :helpsign: :)
The levers in the cab are snapped as well from rusting behind the panel. So got to find those levers and knobs as well. :runforthehills:

aphaynes April 12th, 2014 12:45 AM

Had a little fun trying my hand at rattle can painting today. :woo:

Now, even though someone painted my engine chevy orange, I decided that even though I can't pull the engine and paint the whole thing, I would at least go back to the GMC red on the parts I pull as I work on this thing. Maybe one day the whole thing will be red again....but..... :D

Having grown up in and spent 90% of my life in GA, even though I am in AL now, while painting all that red, the Georgia Bulldog fan in me came out and I had to throw in some black! :jaw-dropping:

Just got to get my bride to paint those GMC letters red!

As for painting, I kind of like my creative parts hanger.

Now I can get all this stuff baked tomorrow and start getting her back together. :bigdance:

BarryGMC April 13th, 2014 03:27 PM

I usually wash down the sludge with kerosene and a parts cleaner brush. Spray it on with a spray bottle. Then pour more to flush it down and out the drain plug. Those levers break because the cables are stiff. I take those cables off and soak them in my old oil barrel and then work the cables in and out. Wipe them down with some lacquer thinner and smooth as silk. No more busted levers. Barry

aphaynes April 14th, 2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 52928)
I usually wash down the sludge with kerosene and a parts cleaner brush. Spray it on with a spray bottle. Then pour more to flush it down and out the drain plug. Those levers break because the cables are stiff. I take those cables off and soak them in my old oil barrel and then work the cables in and out. Wipe them down with some lacquer thinner and smooth as silk. No more busted levers. Barry

thanks for the tips Barry! :tiphat: I don't have an old oil barrell...yet, but I'll come up with something to give that tip go!

aphaynes April 16th, 2014 09:57 PM

Well, put it back together yesterday afternoon and believe it or not...it cranked right up! :woo: :bigdance:
but...yes there is a but ;)

it idled fine, but when you first press the accelerator it tries to stall. if you immediately let off and repress the accelerator, it revs up just fine. Now I also only did the basic pre-crank setup on the carb. I was cold and it was getting dark, so I left it at that. Plus the Oil filter carriage had oil running down one side of it from the top, so I guess I did not get something seated very well. So unless there is a red flag here to you experts, I assume I just need to re-seat the oil filter carriage (check o-ring/gasket as well) and finish the setup of the carb?

Regardless, it was good to listen to her run for a few minutes after having her opened up since I got her home. :D

Is there a spin-on adapter for these 305's? I have seen some for V8's just not the V6.