6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Yahoo Groups Alternative (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47283)

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 12:51 AM

Re: Yahoo Groups Alternative

I agree with JBP. I use outlook and have a couple of signatures defined for the various groups. I get individual e-mails on my WillysTech yahoo group and this 6066_GMC_Group. The other yahoo groups I just get digest mode in which I get 1 e-mail with all of the mails for the day. Can this new format provide that level of integration or individual e-mail mode?

I agree I do like the new format however as JBP states as time goes on, the topics grow and make it hard to find stuff.

If I can get the e-mails from this new format in individual e-mail mode, I am ok with it. I can still do a search if I need to find something so the mail format would be my only format as I do not use the web interface unless I am traveling and connect to “yahoo groups” but I could do this with the new format.

I am ok either way if the above criteria can be met.

P.S. I would still me a member even if it can’t.

Scott

Scott "Strud" Strudwick

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 12:54 AM

Scott,

I'm collecting a list of people here
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47284

that want an email every time a post is made and I'll work on making that happen. For now every member in the club will receive a daily digest around 4-6pm with posts for the day.

-Jeannie

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 12:57 AM

I am a member of the WillysTech group which is dedicated to our beloved Willys Jeeps. I have 5 Willys jeeps from the cj-2a, cj-3a and my favorite 53 Willys Truck. This includes any and all Willys jeeps no matter how they are powered. I think what set this group apart from the 60-66 chevy group is that the unique big block which is what started the group in the first place. I do believe that we could still have the same great banter regarding the v-6 no matter what they are powered with. Many would like to re-power their trucks with later more modern drive trains which do make these trucks more drivable. I think that the group could have both.

Just my humble opinion.

Scott "Strud" Strudwick

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 01:18 AM

The club forums are alot more fun in my opinion, much easier to use and chat on.

Jeff in St. Louis

63 GMC Pickup 79 Chenowth Railbuggy
305E 1600 cc VW

78 Jeep CJ5 02 Chevy Z-28
304 5.7 LS1 6 speed

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 01:38 PM

I strongly agree with Rick, furthermore this is the "only" GMC website that promotes the preservation of the GMC V6 therefore it should remain as such! There is a real uniqueness in these trucks as they are the last of the real GMC powered trucks. Jolly formed the 6066 Chevy site for the Chevy guys after this site was founded. To David Dewey you got it all wrong as there has never been a problem with owner's of 60-66 GMC trucks powered by other engines afterall Canadian models of those years were Chevrolet powered. The problem comes from those who want to replace their V6 with a small block Chevy 350 which many do and that doesn't need to be discussed on this site. As far as I'm concerned the small block Chevy V8 is a major national obsession and enough is enough. Just about every automotive magazine from time to time has a build up on one, people want to see other builds.
Pete Chronis
Northern Cal.

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 01:42 PM

Peter,

We are and forever will be dedicated to the GMC V6. What Chris was asking is if we might have a small section on the forum where people could show off their other projects. The direction of the club will never change. See the forum here to see the section in question:
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

It's a very small "sharing" section at the bottom of the forum.

-Jeannie

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 01:44 PM

I've registered with the new forum.
Time to kick this old dog to the curb!

Jim J
Tempe AZ

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 01:50 PM

I like Ray Brown's idea. Pete Chronis Northern Cal.

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 02:12 PM

My vote is for the new forum.
Thanks,

Joshua Johnson

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 03:03 PM

Thanks to all for voicing their opinions with such strength; it shows the dedication we all share for the engineering that made the GMC V6 series possible. My current ownership of this I6-powered Chevy in no way should suggest a diminution of my love for the GMC. It's clear that we love the trucks as well as the engines; we don't just display the V6s on engine stands after all! I posted two pics of my Apache in the "Other" section, and I think most GM fans will agree it is a fine and worth preserving example of what GM was doing during the '60 - '66 era. I had to sell my '61, 305V6-powered 1002 when finances forced me to, and the first opportunity I get to replace her, believe me I will. But, as stated, I'd hate to not be a part of this great group of people just because I currently don't own a V6-powered '60 -'66.
Chris in NY.

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 03:13 PM

Thank you for the reply & sending me down the correct pathway. Even though my truck is not perfect, I still get positive looks & comments from people as I drive it. Keep the faith!
Dave Dewey

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 06:37 PM

On 1/21/2013 1:45 PM, From Christopher Wood wrote:

> nut before anything else. I've had a '61 GMC fleetside in the past, and
> currently own a wonderful '61 survivor. This truck is the easily the
> most unmolested truck I've ever come across, right down to the original,
> working tube radio, original air cleaner and
> stamped-with-matching-numbers front fenders. The only problem, from a
> group standpoint, is that it's a 235 I-6 powered Chevrolet longbed
> stepside. I adore the GMC V-6s, have busted plenty a knuckle working on
> them, but just currently don't have one. I'd hate to leave the best '60
> - '66 group on the net just because my ride is not GMC V-6 powered. Can
> there be room on the new forum for members like me?
>
> Chris
> Shawangunk, NY
> 1961 235 I-6 powered Chevrolet longbed stepside
> 1961 305 V-6 powered GMC longbed fleetside (former)

In my opinion, for what it is worth, while the group really does focus
on the v6 more, I am all for a completely original stock truck. While I
too prefer the v6s, a truck with the proper I6 should still be welcome
since it is a 60-66 GMC truck.

Now if you were talking about pulling a v6 to install an I6 or Chev.
engine... thats when the stones start flying!

--
- David R Leifheit
in Dallas, Oregon

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 06:38 PM

n that note... other rides sounds good.

But, *if* we are going to segregate the I6 GMCs from the v6 GMCs, then
have a separate section for Inline 6 Powered 6066 GMC trucks.

Since some trucks did come factory stock with an inline, they are still
GMC trucks and should not feel like outcasts. There are still other
differences between the Chev and GMC lines (clutch comes to mind).

Now if we are talking about someone taking a v6 out to replace it with a
Chev. engine, that is a different and much more hotly debated topic.

I'm all for stock, and would not want to discourage someone who has a
stock vehicle and is proud of it being stock just because it had the I
option.

As for an 'other rides/projects' section I'd agree with that too since
many gearheads/wrenchturners have more than one project (much to their
spouses' annoyance).

--
- David R Leifheit
in Dallas, Oregon

Jeannie January 22nd, 2013 10:26 PM

There are a few of us here who enjoy working with the "Twin Sixs". Many of them are retired/discarded irrigation engines.
Several of us have grafted them into other applications for preservation, education, and pure fun in driving our "Self-propelled display stands" and showing them to those who never knew such a beast existed.
Jolly and all members here have been very open minded in accepting us, helping us, and offering support and info. Yes, now we know how the "Black Sheep of the family" feels sometimes until our goals are known.
I agree with those who want to keep this site focused on the V6&V12s, as it's been said. We have something that is of historical value to GMC history, and since they are unique and threatened with the plight of the dinasaur, we need to hold our focus on them, and recognize they have been used in many different ways. I think all of us take pride in all V6s &V12s, and realized the privelege of owning one.
The unique pickups, as I understand with the original I6, that wintin itself is different, but still GMC produced and marketed, so I feel there will be a place found for all of us thru the efforts of Jolly, Jennie, and others who are making this transition. It shows GMCs ability to see the need for work horses, then design and build what will do the job at different times.
So again, thanks to Jolly and all here for letting us share a little corner of your world, and pursue our goals.
Thanks for the great job you're doing.

Cayoterun
Marvin, Okla

Pope January 23rd, 2013 12:02 AM

Jeannie, I want to say thanks for the work that you are putting into this!

Funky61 January 23rd, 2013 02:15 AM

Hello Jeannie, Will the photo albums be archived as well and available here?

Jeannie January 23rd, 2013 02:30 AM

Yes, but I don't know when I'll get it all finished. I'm still ironing out the mailer and the forum layout :)

GMCNUT January 23rd, 2013 02:44 AM

Sooooo glad we are all moving into the 21st century with the forum vs groups. I have 55-59 GMC's and 60-66's and love them all (hence the name) so I am happy to see a better format to discuss everyone's fun toys....I feel lucky to be a part of this "new beginning" for the group after all these years :)

David R Leifheit January 23rd, 2013 05:03 AM

It looks to me like we can set up our own albums and such. This does appear to be an improvement over the "old" group.

I know I have seen more discussions now than I have before. Seems like this got a lot of people to open up.

Jeannie January 24th, 2013 03:54 AM

For Jeannie, and reply to Chris,

I, too, fall into this category of 60-66 GMC nut (all of mine have been Suburbans over a 40 year span, even to include one Chevy unit.
I still have three Subs- all GMC, and one of them came from the factory with the little inline 6, a 1965 C1000 model. This one I am doing some updating to that includes a V-8 since the swap/conversion is plug-and-play. I'm doing other updates for safety as well like 3-point seat belts and OEM front disc setup, and creature comforts like PS and AC.

Another one, a 63 K1000 that is restored to original that has the 305E V6, plaid valve covers, indash dealer added tach and Dinsmore compass. This one's a big, bad, beautiful beast, and as such, I don't really drive it much. I love this truck as well.

So yeah, I would be up for a sideshow forum that complements the genre of trucks that we are all attached to for those that are interested.

Jim Jantzen
Tempe, AZ

Rap'em Pappy January 27th, 2013 03:27 PM

I think the new version is just great. You can go to the topic you want and post
pictures. Wonderful job, Jeannie.

Cayoterun January 27th, 2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rap'em Pappy (Post 47546)
I think the new version is just great. You can go to the topic you want and post
pictures. Wonderful job, Jeannie.

Glad to see you here. Pappy.
Hope things are going good in the "new" digs down in the sunshine.

Vernski January 28th, 2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 47547)
Glad to see you here. Pappy.
Hope things are going good in the "new" digs down in the sunshine.

Glad to see both of you V-12ers here...Vernski:)

Cayoterun January 28th, 2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 47571)
Glad to see both of you V-12ers here...Vernski:)

Same to ya' Vernshi. I noticed your age on your profile. We're too old to fit in Willie Nelson's old hippies who didn't know what to do. I think Ol' Geezers fit us well as coined by a member on a Chevy forum we watch.

Let's Ol' Geezers support Jeanie and and all the others as they get this forum going in any way we can.

1966shortstep May 17th, 2013 02:47 PM

Thank you:goodjob: