6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1965 GMC 3500 Rescue Squad (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47298)

FetchMeAPepsi May 6th, 2014 01:47 AM

Re: 1965 GMC 3500 Rescue Squad

Too bad you'll lose the generator. That's a cool feature! I like having the extra gas tank though. That's a good idea and you'll be able to drive farter, like to Wichita and a Mini Meet! :bananadance:

6066gmcguy May 16th, 2014 03:25 AM

More info on the tires & Wheels I installed on the front.

Here is the old 20" lock ring wheel coming off,

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Note this is a 5 lug front axle, but the wheels have 10 holes, on the rear axle they use all 10 lugs.

Here is the 22.5" tubeless wheels going on, these wheels came with the 1960 Chevy Viking 60 I bought a while back and stripped to the frame.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

6066gmcguy June 18th, 2014 03:21 AM

Back at the end of May before things went bad for my family, I took the Rescue Squad to a local show at the coffee chop buzzbru.

6066gmcguy June 18th, 2014 03:29 AM

then last weekend I did my own show "Howlin at the Moon"

I even had a car show DJ playing the tunes from his 1960 Ford Braodcase van.

6066gmcguy July 5th, 2014 02:01 PM

Yesterday I showed off the Rescue Squad at the Honeyville 4th of July Parade & Car Show.

I didn't really shot any photos of my truck there, what was I thinking? it was HOT and I guess my brian must have melted.

Anyway here is the Slide Show ~~~>

, Enjoy.

6066gmcguy July 7th, 2014 02:09 AM

Just out taking a few photos today, here the Rescue Squad in front of the old Honeyville School.

And 2 more near the north Welcome to Honeyville sign.

6066gmcguy July 9th, 2014 04:27 AM

I have not posted a night shot for a while so here the latest one.

In this shot some of the lights have quit wroking,their brakers are getting hot and shutting them down, so I'm going to have toi do some rewiring and get those working again.

6066gmcguy July 23rd, 2014 04:15 AM

Last Saturday I took the Rescue Squad out for a drive and some New Photos.

I started out with the Calls Fort Monument Vary near to my home base.

Then I stopped by the Sunmart Travel Plaza in Elwood and roll onto the Cat Scale.

Anyone know how much their truck weights? I do now! 11580 Lbs with driver.

6066gmcguy July 23rd, 2014 04:27 AM

Then it was off to the Box Elder County Fairgrounds main enterance in Tremonton.

6066gmcguy July 23rd, 2014 04:33 AM

Next I drove up to Marble Park in Bothwell.

6066gmcguy July 23rd, 2014 04:38 AM

We have two high schools in Box Elder County, the school in the north end, on the Tremonton Garland city limits, is the Bear River High School.

and in Brigham City is the High School for the kids in the south end is Box Elder High School.

Home of the Bees.

Both of these High Schools were remodeled a few years ago, only saving the newest parts of BEHS and rebuilding the rest new either behind the old school of next to it, once the new school was up and running, the old part nolonger used got torn down.

6066gmcguy August 3rd, 2014 01:23 AM

Today I took the Rescue Squad to the Great Mountain Chevy/GMC Truck Club Picnic, here we see the wild GMC Emergency Vehicle preparing to pounce in it's unsuspecting prey.

Here is a shot out on an old dirt road with old barn behind.

I finally arrived at the Millstream Classic Car Museum in Willard Utah.

Beside myself, three other members brought out there trucks.

6066gmcguy August 29th, 2014 02:08 AM

That last trip my brake booster started going out and by the time I got home I didn't have any braking action left. Looks like it will be time to pull that off for a rebuild, mite be a good project to start this weekend.

I guess I really fill the need to go to a show I can always take the Convertible, here it is with the Rescue Squad in my Yard.

Enjoy your weekend everyone and stay Safe!!!!

Andice August 29th, 2014 04:06 AM

Like Henry J Kaiser said: "Find a need and feel it!"

6066gmcguy August 30th, 2014 07:39 PM

Took the Rescue Squad to the shop last night with no brakes, just took it slow. I got to checking things out and that no fluid in the master cylinder, so finding the leak should be a snap. the rea wheel cylinders are leaking.

One think the shop need is a 5 ton floor jack, or a 20 ton bottle jack, guess I'll be buying a 20 ton bottle jack next week too. I use my ramps to get the truck's back end in the air to start with, then two 2 ton floor jacks to raise the wheel on one side off the ramp and onto stands.

I pulled off the wheel and found this rig has drums that can be removed with out having to pull the axle.

6066gmcguy August 30th, 2014 07:49 PM

With the drum off I can see that this is a 2 cylinder set up, and yes both of them are leaking.

The brake shoes look really good, but then it only has 8800 miles on it.

So I pulled both cylinders off to find some new ones.

I got them coming from NAPA next week. the numbers in case any one really wants to know:
Raybestos, forward cylinder - WC-18196 $37
Raybestos, rear cylinder - WC-37042 $ 44

Here is what you will find if you take them apart, the cylinders are 1.5"

More next weekend, well maybe not, its peach days and I have the convertible entered.

FetchMeAPepsi September 7th, 2014 02:19 PM

Thanks for the part numbers Jolly! I added them to my list for the future. Not sure if they're the same but they look awful close. Powder Puff said to tell you the pic of the Rescue Squad in the weeds looks like a tiger. By the time you see it, it's already too late!
How did the Peach Days go?

6066gmcguy September 7th, 2014 05:55 PM

Peach Days was fun for while, but the blazzing hot sun was well just too much. they pulled in about 1000 cars, trucks, & motor bikes. I have posted photo on my facepage, Jolly's Truck & Car Show Page, see link below.

6066gmcguy September 28th, 2014 12:39 AM

Ok here's an update on the Brake repairs, I'm going to have to replace all the major fluid components of the braking system.

So far I have replaced the master cylinder this past spring, now I have the rear wheel cylinders installed.

This area of your wheel cylinderr should be dry, no water of fluid.

New Brake Wheel Cylinders installed.

6066gmcguy September 28th, 2014 12:56 AM

Here are some tools you mite want to have when doing a brake job on one of these Big GMCs.

First a good bottle jack, 12 tons or more. and don't reliy on just the bottle jack to hold it up while you working under there, always use a jack stand too.

Ok photobucket you have turn that photo anytime now....

You mite have noticed a floor jack in some of the photos, I had to use 2 2-ton jacks at the sme time to lift the truck, so the new bottle jack was bought to makethat job less work, and I didn't want to blow out the seals in the floor jacks.

An inpact driver will help in braking those rusty drum screws loose.

Lst not forget getting those big wheels off the truck in the first place, you need a good air supply and 3/4" inpact gun of bigger,

but you can do it by hand too with a 3/4" braker bar. a large pry bar works good to help in removing and install the wheels. also note in the pic a can of WD-40.

Once you get the tires off and the drum, then all you really ned are a few small hand tools.

6066gmcguy September 28th, 2014 02:37 PM

I have removed my Bendix Hydrovac and sent it off for rebuild. the place I found could not provide a kit for me to rebuild it but said they have boxes of parts and just match up what you have with what they have and do it that way.

Before sending it off I craked it open and took a look but I forgot to do photos of the inside.

What I found was that the big diafram had a large split in it and fluid insdie next to the brake slave cylinder where it should have been dry.

Next I need to locate the front wheel cylinders, anybody got number for those?

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2014 04:08 PM

Where did you send it off to?

6066gmcguy October 3rd, 2014 07:54 PM

Here is a quik update, I found for the front wheel cylinders numbers.
Raybestos: Left WC19090, Right WC19091

I ordered my parts this time from Q'reilly so I chould get my shop discount.
O'Reilly used the same numbers too, only BHH in fonrt of it, BHH WC19090 $47.44 {$24.77} & BHH WC19091 $47.44 {$24.77}
I also picked up the three hoses to replace those too, front you'll need 2 BHH BH36698 $47.44 {$25.05} rear BHH BH36563 $50.83 {$26.84}

I sent the booster to a place in SLC Utah for rebuild, cost $213.oo, Item code PBS 2504102D

PBC Fleet Lites & Parts, P.O. Box 27687, SLC UT 84127 801-972-9700

6066gmcguy November 15th, 2014 03:24 PM

Well I got my Rescue Squad back onthe road and even took it to a show in Ogden in October. So I guess now that is getting cold out I should do an update on the Manville Rescue Squad.

I got the Brake Booster back from Rebuild, looks like they did a good job.

Got it installed with new hoses.

Looks like I need to resize and upload some more photo of the rest of the Brake rebuild.

6066gmcguy November 15th, 2014 03:47 PM

More info on my Wheels, as you know if you have been following this story, I have a set of 22.5 tubeless wheels that came on the old 1960 LCF I parted out.

I put two on the front with some new tires, when I was doing the front brakes, I installed the other four on the rear. this truck being heavy as it is, I bought a 12 ton jack from O'Reilly Auto Parts. then I happen to be near a Harber Frieght Tools a few weeks later so I check their jacks and also picked up a 20 ton jack.

Both work OK now but the Harbor Frieght jack leaked off the first time I used it. I run the bleeder valve in & out a few times then it was OK.

While installing the rear tires I found these marking on the rims.

The wheel look to be from 9 of 1959.

I now have all the 22.5 tubeless wheels on the truck and I also have one spare.

6066gmcguy November 15th, 2014 04:23 PM

Ok the front wheel cylinders started off by raising the fron axle enouhgt for the front tire to get off the ground.

Remove the front wheel and now I can see the bearing will need to be pulled to get to the brakes.

Remove the cover to get at the bearings.

Kinda small bearings for a big truck, but it is rated only for 16000 lbs.

once the outer bearing is removed you can pull the front hub/drum assembly off.

Remove the inner bearing and seal.

clean up the bearings and seal then repack with nice clean greese.

Ok the front wheel bearing are takin care of on to the wheel cylinders.

6066gmcguy November 16th, 2014 05:11 AM

Ok first thing I did was remove the springs at the top so I could pull the shoes out of the way, no need to remove tham as there is plenty of brake lining left. then I loosened the brake line, it does not have a swivel fitting so I pulled the two bolts that hold the cylinder to the backing plate and spun if off the line.

Only one side of one cylinder on the front was leaking, but mite as well do both as you have to just about remove them to check them.

Install the new cylinder by spinning it onto the line then bolt in place.

reinstall the brake shoes,

and the springs on the top. next thing to do is install the brake drum, I started to bleed the system with one side still off and this is what happens, besides you can't get it to built up as you will blow of the pistons and end up with a major leak.....Doh!!!

Jumping ahaed is not a good thing, so I had to remove the cylinder, put it back together and reinstall, then I installed the drum and did the bleeding of the brakes.

6066gmcguy November 16th, 2014 05:21 AM

so with the truck back on the road, it was time once again for the Choose Your Ride Show in Ogden.

I got this nice award for going last year.

Here we are at the 2014 show. LQQK below for a link to All the Photos I took.

The Line Up.

LQQK The Link~~>

, Enjoy eh.

6066gmcguy January 31st, 2015 11:40 PM

Nice day out today so I fired up the Rescue Squad and drove it to DownTown Honeyville, here it is at the Fire Station/City Hall.

6066gmcguy January 31st, 2015 11:42 PM

Here we see what the Big Snow Storm did in Utah this year so far.

6066gmcguy January 31st, 2015 11:46 PM

My 1965 GMC 3500 Black Built Bodies Rescue Squad in my front yard in Honeyville Utah, also my 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible.

FetchMeAPepsi February 4th, 2015 07:03 PM

Great pics! :tiphat:

Youre so lucky living in Utah like that. Beautiful country! I'd have a tough time keeping myself and The Boy from scaling those mountains every day looking for wayward lizards and snakes. :runforthehills:

6066gmcguy February 8th, 2015 02:45 AM

the temps here in Northern Utah reached up to 71*, so it was a good day to take the Rescue Squad out for a Royale Run, Diamond Reo Royale that is.

6066gmcguy March 9th, 2015 12:53 AM

Yesterday I took the Rescue Squad out for a short run, to keep it limbered up don't you know.

Stopped out front of Honeyville Grain for a photo shoot,

Then on the way back to the home 20, I got in some "Accidental Railfanning" as I spotted a train coming in time to get the Rescue Squad in place for a train run by photo, or two.

This train had three locos up front,

and two pushing on the rear.

:thumbsup:

6066gmcguy April 29th, 2015 02:15 PM

Yesterday after work I headed on over to a local car show with the Rescue Squad,
Frozen Udder, Superior Computers, Firehouse Pizza, Sevurity Finance 1st Annual Car Show, Hows that for a short name?

Kids always want to see whats inthe back, which is nothing at this time, but I let them look anyway, and the rear seats are a good place to take a photo.

After the show I stopped for more gas and the girl running the station wanted to take my picture, I told here ok as long as she sends me a copy.

We had a ngood time and Won another Award.

You can find all the photos right there ~~~>

, Enjoy.

6066gmcguy May 4th, 2015 06:21 AM

Well I did another car show Saturday, but had some trouble uploading my photos to the bucket, I put them in the worng album, so I have spent a lot of time today moving them, now we are ready to show them off.

There was one HHR in the show, the Hot Rod Time HHR, their website if great and I post my photos there too, maybe you mite want to chek it out when you have some spare time. *

The Rescue Squad got a wash job before going to the show so we was looking good for the show. I also had on display my New Award for the Best Emergency Vehicle for the Howlin' at the Moon show.

Then the Perry Police Stopped by so I taked him into showing off a little with the Rescue Squad.

the DJ playing the music drives one of these.

And we played some Darts too.

And was always you can find all the photos by clicking there ~~~>

6066gmcguy May 4th, 2015 06:24 AM

Here is a short video of the light show.

6066gmcguy May 4th, 2015 06:30 AM

Shot some photos on the way to the show & onthe way home.

I stopped inthe middle of the street under the Brigham Arch.

Went past the GMC Dealer

then stopped by the lake after the show.

TJ's GMC May 4th, 2015 06:33 PM

Those are some awesome pictures! Sounds like you had a fun day for sure! :thumbsup:

6066gmcguy July 8th, 2015 02:29 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Have been too buzy to post with all the other things I doing, but you can always follow me on Facebook to see what I'm up to, I post all my Truck & Car Show photos over there, out of room in my Photobucket albums. I'll be posting pics below.

These Photos are from the trip up to Malad Idaho & at the show., this would be the Out of State show for the Rescue Squad, always lots of fun but this year was a bit low in numbers at the show.

There was a nice old GMC with a Flat Head Ford for power.