6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Very lucky Clock/Tach EBay purchase (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48609)

Clarke March 2nd, 2015 03:19 AM

Gauges

5 Attachment(s)
I completed the install of my Bat-O-meter, Tach and Tach Transmitter this weekend...

I installed the tach transmitter on the driver's side inner fender well, similar to the battery regulator on the passenger's side fender well. I matched the same hardware they used to install the battery regulator.

I also installed three additional gauges under the dash left of the sterring column. I still need to hook up the wires for the oil and water sending units, but the wiring is complete.

I installed 2" gauges. I trimmed the gauge cluster to match the cluster you can get for the 2-5/8" gauges. This reminds me of the single tombstone gauge cluster they offered years ago.

On the tach transmitter, I installed a rechargable AA battery (NiMH). I adjusted the tach to be more accurate at the top end. For example: using my timing light tach to adjust the RPM,

Timing Light: Tach Gauge:
800 RPM 1,500 RPM
1,400 2,000
2,100 2,500
2,900 3,000
3,620 3,500

jagarra March 3rd, 2015 02:50 AM

Re: Very lucky Clock/Tach EBay purchase

Clark,

Your dash is looking good. You may find that a rechargeable battery doesn't last long. I still would recommend the e series of AA batteries.

gg

Clarke March 3rd, 2015 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagarra (Post 57104)
Clark,

Your dash is looking good. You may find that a rechargeable battery doesn't last long. I still would recommend the e series of AA batteries.

gg

Thanks! I'll keep track to see how long the rechargable lasts. I'll spot check the amount of error it's off too after I drive it for awhile. Once the rechargable dies on me, I'll try your recommendation and compare the amount error it's off. My understanding is, the amount of error changes as the battery runs down. It will be interesting to see the results.

Now, my transmitter only has one battery in it, but it has another area where I can add a second one, but there's no wires of clips in place. I think I'll do some research and see if I can mod the other side, so I can add another battery; assuming that will make it last longer between battery swaps.

RustyNut March 3rd, 2015 11:47 PM

Clarke,

If you solder "jumper" wires to the pieces of metal that make contact to the battery itself you will double the capacity (life) of the batteries.

Just make sure the jumpers connect both negatives and both positives together. This will maintain the 1.5 voltage. If you connect one positive to the other negative you will double the voltage.

Rusty

Clarke March 4th, 2015 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyNut (Post 57114)
Clarke,

If you solder "jumper" wires to the pieces of metal that make contact to the battery itself you will double the capacity (life) of the batteries.

Just make sure the jumpers connect both negatives and both positives together. This will maintain the 1.5 voltage. If you connect one positive to the other negative you will double the voltage.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty! That's exactly what I'll do.

Clarke