6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48773)

TJ's GMC May 23rd, 2016 01:55 AM

Re: 1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build.

2 Attachment(s)
Well guys, I got everything installed today! :thumbsup:

All I can say is...Man...What an improvement! Drinks the fuel with No problem and pulls better than I expected. Few vacuum leaks to fix and it'll run like a champ again. Needs new intake gaskets(they'll be here tuesday) and has a little leak between the adapter and manifold which some silicon and a re-tighten should fix. Idles a tad rough and back fires through the exhaust just a tad when slowing down. New gaskets should remedy that. Far as the plugs go...they're burning real clean...even with points and a pertronix coil. Gonna have to put some thicker oil in the engine and a can of engine restore as it looked like it was burning a bit of oil. lol Had to lead foot it a couple times....hopefully didn't hurt anything! Anyhow, Hope ya'all enjoyed your weekend! See ya!

TJ's GMC May 26th, 2016 05:41 AM

Alright, so I installed a new set of intake gaskets....also siliconed the adapter gasket to the intake...well...the leaks are gone or there is at least hardly Any leak. Idles smooth...fires right up...and pulls like a dream. Pops when slowing down now. lol But that's nothing new for a carbed engine. Timing is at 10 so that might be a bit much, but I'm a leave her like this for now. Will pull some plugs and do another check, and will be making a video soon. Got a lead on some 16 inch rims so I will have pictures if I get them.

TJ's GMC May 31st, 2016 05:04 AM

Well Crustine has been running better than ever. Got the fuel gauge to work properly so I can try and do a fuel mileage test. Towing has improved. Hauled a good load of lumber the other day and Crustine did a fine job. Also made a video for ya'all.....will be making a better acceleration video later when I have someone to hold the camera. Later guys!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

aphaynes May 31st, 2016 06:07 PM

:yourock: Looking good!

Funky61 May 31st, 2016 06:46 PM

I'm curious to see if you have an improvement in mileage. Also I read somewhere that adding a crossover pipe in the exhaust stops the popping on deceleration.
Nice work on all these upgrades and videos too TJ; I really enjoy them and looks like you get a lot of views too.

TJ's GMC May 31st, 2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 62062)
:yourock: Looking good!

Thanks man!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 62063)
I'm curious to see if you have an improvement in mileage. Also I read somewhere that adding a crossover pipe in the exhaust stops the popping on deceleration.
Nice work on all these upgrades and videos too TJ; I really enjoy them and looks like you get a lot of views too.

I'm curious to. Hoping the mileage didn't go down! haha! It pops a tad when slowing down, but only around 1500 does it really pop. Plugs are burning clean though. Yeah, finally over 560 subscribers now! Been posting for 2 years. Thanks! :thumbsup:

kchampagne June 2nd, 2016 03:13 PM

TJ, the engine sounds amazing!! What size exhaust are you running?

TJ's GMC June 2nd, 2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchampagne (Post 62085)
TJ, the engine sounds amazing!! What size exhaust are you running?

Thanks! I'm running 2.25 to the muffler and then a 2.5 tail pipe. True dual exhaust. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC June 4th, 2016 09:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well Crustine had another heavy load in tow this morning! Not quite as heavy as last week's, but still good size. :thumbsup: That ol 305 V6 done did a fine job!

TJ's GMC June 12th, 2016 03:03 PM

So yesterday after work I changed the oil and filter in Crustine. Boy that oil came out a bit dirty! Anyhow, fresh rotella 15w-40 seemed to make things all better. I'm gonna head to Napa today and get some zinc additive. I figure it can't hurt since I am driving this truck everyday.
As I have been doing towing and alot of city like driving so far my mileage has been 10 mpg. So I'm guessing 12 on the highway. Mileage and speed should go up a hair as I found a nice set of 238/85r16's that I will be purchasing. Currently has 29's on it right now(sucks, and they have flat spots. lol). Also purchased a new front brake hose as I am in danger of no brakes if it's not changed out soon. haha Not to mention she needs a new brake booster and master cylinder! Oh...add to that a new steering gear box and tie rod arms because the steering has its own mind...especially when gust of wind hit the truck. So quite a list! Will be doing it a little at a time as my 66 takes priority.