6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   pull and save deals. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48369)

BarryGMC September 10th, 2014 09:31 PM

pull and save deals.

1 Attachment(s)
I have to start sharing the pull and save finds. There is lots of crazy stuff for cheap. Here is the first. Today a 63 GMC and a 65 Chevy. The GMC was beat to death. But it had s few things. Mostly the 61-63 window trim. The Chevy was nice but plain. It still had the pb pad even though the booster had been swapped out to manual .

BarryGMC September 10th, 2014 09:39 PM

Re: pull and save deals.

1 Attachment(s)
Only one pic at a time today. 14 bucks.

aphaynes September 10th, 2014 10:18 PM

Nice! Can't even find trucks that old here in yards I have been to in the southeast.

BarryGMC September 11th, 2014 02:42 AM

I can't imagine not having vintage rigs in the yards. I have grabbed 5 60-61 hoods. 3 GMC and 2 Chevrolet. 22.00 with the latch. Plus 4.00 for the lights. Both of these have good hoods. But I can't store any more later hoods. Plus they are still setting about 20 per year. Last week I scored a 67-72 tool box and door and the box section for 14.00. Plus a 4.10 ho52 with a no spin for 47.00. No charge for the red radio delete plate.

turbobill September 11th, 2014 11:31 AM

The oldest stuff normally kept around here is about 15 years. Road salt reduced anything older to a useless pile of scrap that disappeared in '09 when scrap prices went sky high.

There are a couple yards still hoarding old stuff, but most of it is salt destroyed scrap.

BarryGMC September 11th, 2014 02:35 PM

Bummer. The 2 pull and save yards turn everything over every 6 weeks. About 2000 rigs. Pre 1980 rigs are probably about 300-400 of that . All makes . My guessed on 60-72 GM trucks is about 50-60 a year.

Cayoterun September 11th, 2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbobill (Post 54626)
The oldest stuff normally kept around here is about 15 years. Road salt reduced anything older to a useless pile of scrap that disappeared in '09 when scrap prices went sky high.

There are a couple yards still hoarding old stuff, but most of it is salt destroyed scrap.

My comment may a tad off subject, but we're lucky here in our dry climate. It used to be I could buy an almost complete vehicle for parts for the one I was building for 3-4 hundred dollars. Then sell what was left for scrap/trade.
Once in awhile, you could find complete cars/trucks in farmers junk yards from the '30s-40s that were "running when parked". Not any more. Scrappers would come from other states combing the back roads buying scrap, but that's pretty well cleaned out our source of good clean, mini-rust parts.
So, the high scrap prices has sure taken some of the fun out of our project building here.

GMCNUT September 11th, 2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54618)
Only one pic at a time today. 14 bucks.

I could use that 60-63 windshield moulding if you decide to part with it. Not too fun to package that squirrelly stuff, but if you will let me know. Got a 63 Chevy custom cab someone switched the windshield out on and they never re-installed the chrome.

Hantke September 11th, 2014 08:36 PM

do you find them in u-pull-it yards? I may have to go find a hood, the apple of my eye needs a hood + 2 doors, if i had all of that when i rolled it home, she could sit in my front driveway without me being worried about thief's

Hantke September 11th, 2014 08:37 PM

i'm down in oregon, but i drive to lynnwood regularly, i may hit up the yards up there to

BarryGMC September 11th, 2014 09:31 PM

Steve . I can part with a set. I have at least 5 or 6 of the 61-63 window trims. Plus I have some small stuff to get to you. I will put together a nice one for you and post some pics.
Hantke. This stuff is in our local u pull it yards. Clean hoods are not hard to find here. I don't grab any more 62-66 hoods or 69-72 hoods. I have to many. I have a 2 car garage full of tin. Enough to make 8-10 trucks.

Hantke September 11th, 2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54638)
Steve . I can part with a set. I have at least 5 or 6 of the 61-63 window trims. Plus I have some small stuff to get to you. I will put together a nice one for you and post some pics.
Hantke. This stuff is in our local u pull it yards. Clean hoods are not hard to find here. I don't grab any more 62-66 hoods or 69-72 hoods. I have to many. I have a 2 car garage full of tin. Enough to make 8-10 trucks.

Over by spokanne? i think it would easily be worth the drive for me at those prices. LMC is expensive as well as online used ones, i'll need a hood (60-66 is fine by me, i prefer 64-66 look, but will be okay with 60-63 because thats what it should be) and 2 doors, are the '63 compatible doors easy to find? that would be awesome if i don't find em down here! i'd even possibly send you the money to grab them and perhaps meet you somewhere once i have the truck in the future (if that is okay with you?).

the truck I'm after is in a collectors back yard, he has a 65 DD, a 63, and a unknown (to me) mostly covered as well as a 73 chevy. he said he has 4 more (for a total of 7) in other places to, but not actively trying to sell, so it shouldn't move any time soon, and his main project is one with factory spot lights, so he'll be busy on that for quite a while (long enough for this college kid to pay off the hospital bills and get the money together again i expect)

BarryGMC September 11th, 2014 10:50 PM

62-66 GMC hoods are what you want. I have some really nice ones. Since I don't actively sell tin. There is always one available for local pick up. Knee knocker doors are like tail gates and 60 window trim. I have a hard time parting with them. But if you catch me in a good mood i would probably let a pair go. Barry

BarryGMC September 11th, 2014 10:55 PM

Hantke. What is your hopeful budget? I come across lots of nice drivers in good shape. I have not checked Craigslist lately but there are usually 3 or 4 for sale locally.

Hantke September 11th, 2014 10:57 PM

okay, was i wrong on the hood years? i though 60-63 were different.

60-63
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4716/001jpw.jpg

64-66
http://jimcartertruckparts.com/image...%20oct2002.jpg

or am i just wrong?

BarryGMC September 11th, 2014 11:03 PM

Just looked on Spokane cl. There are a few. There is an interesting 63 over in wenatche. 3 grand.

BarryGMC September 11th, 2014 11:04 PM

The top one is 60-61 hood.

Hantke September 11th, 2014 11:22 PM

right now I'm paying off surprise ER / surgery bills (just got metal screws, pins, and plates in my arm a couple days ago... yay...) and need the rest of them to come in the mail, but i agreed to do some work for the guy (learning experience for me, not required to buy the truck though) and its mine for $900 which seems like a fair price, i figure i'll have the doors + hood and a new bed floor (debating whether or not i should get wood) for under $2,000. Plus a new semi local friend (i used to live two blocks down the road) to talk to about these trucks.

and thanks for the heads up, i like the '60 hood from chevy better, but the 62-66 gmc hood is my favorite.

budget depends on work though, school starts on the 22nd, and this whole not using my left hand thing really messed me up on finances due to not being able to work, plus, no income

Hantke September 11th, 2014 11:29 PM

on the other hand, me and my girlfriend did just win a sand rail from mtn dew, and if we sell it, i may have immediate finances after fixing some stuff up on her car, so we will see on tuesday. (see what it is / what its worth / if we are keeping it)

GMCDAC September 12th, 2014 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 54631)
My comment may a tad off subject, but we're lucky here in our dry climate. It used to be I could buy an almost complete vehicle for parts for the one I was building for 3-4 hundred dollars. Then sell what was left for scrap/trade.
Once in awhile, you could find complete cars/trucks in farmers junk yards from the '30s-40s that were "running when parked". Not any more. Scrappers would come from other states combing the back roads buying scrap, but that's pretty well cleaned out our source of good clean, mini-rust parts.
So, the high scrap prices has sure taken some of the fun out of our project building here.

Yeah Cayoterun, similar situation up here. The reservation used to be great parts hunting but portable crushers have ruined that almost completely. Back in the 70s and 80s when a car or truck was sitting unused, if the owner of the land could be found, most of the time they would say "Get it out of here now and you can have it"!

Nowadays, as you say these scrap prices are diminishing what is left of the old cars, trucks, ag equipment and machinery that should be saved for historical reasons if nothing else. It's all about money.

The first pic is a rust free mid 50's Ford tanker truck at a local scrap yard where no parts can be bought. The second pic is a '58 or '59 GMC 270 next in line to be crushed at a local yard that does allow parts to be pulled, but no one was buying anything off of it. They only hang on to them for so long. I took this pic with the crusher seen through the windshield.

I hope you don't consider this a hijack, BarryGMC, great buys you got there!

DAC

Hantke September 12th, 2014 01:09 AM

wow, thats crazy! i get they gotta make money, but still!

RustyNut September 12th, 2014 02:03 AM

Mtn Dew Sand Rail???????

I think I might have a buyer or my 78 GMC. If so I might be interested. I used to drive a rail as a "daily driver" for about 10 years and enjoyed the **** out of it. What are you asking?

RustyNut

Hantke September 12th, 2014 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyNut (Post 54652)
Mtn Dew Sand Rail???????

I think I might have a buyer or my 78 GMC. If so I might be interested. I used to drive a rail as a "daily driver" for about 10 years and enjoyed the **** out of it. What are you asking?

RustyNut

Not sure yet, I havent even seen it! :lolsmack2: they should email us with the make / model of it soon, then it will arrive (supposedly) tuesday, just gotta jack it up and add the wheels (they ship them separate) and it's good to go. I'll post as i get info.
Mtn Dew raffled it off, comes with a $250 gift certificate for gear and lessons.

BarryGMC September 12th, 2014 04:01 AM

Hijack away. Really I want to start a discussion about scrounging parts. This stuff is getting shredded and shipped. I grab all I can. Plus the GMC stuff will never probably be reproduced. Do I need 5 60-61 GMC hoods. Nope. Actually I really don't need much of it. But someday some kid rebuilding his great grandads GMC may need one. And I will give to him. Just like a long gone gent did with me 30 years ago. I needed a 37 Chevy truck hood emblem. Had no money. He gave me a whole hood. I still have that hood. Minus one emblem. It hangs on a wall. I still thank him on occasion. Barry

Clarke September 12th, 2014 04:19 AM

Hello Barry,

Speaking of hoods... I still need a front left-hand turn signal socket/harness. Mine doesn't work most of the time because a portion of the plastic socket and one of the metal grounding spades is gone.

BarryGMC September 12th, 2014 04:24 AM

Clark I just grabbed another. I will get one to you. Barry

Hantke September 12th, 2014 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54659)
Hijack away. Really I want to start a discussion about scrounging parts. This stuff is getting shredded and shipped. I grab all I can. Plus the GMC stuff will never probably be reproduced. Do I need 5 60-61 GMC hoods. Nope. Actually I really don't need much of it. But someday some kid rebuilding his great grandads GMC may need one. And I will give to him. Just like a long gone gent did with me 30 years ago. I needed a 37 Chevy truck hood emblem. Had no money. He gave me a whole hood. I still have that hood. Minus one emblem. It hangs on a wall. I still thank him on occasion. Barry

:threadjacked::threadjacked::threadjacked:

I'm sorry, I'm a little ADHD at times, a man gave me a part for my motorcycle for free at one point, all he asked was that i share my knowledge with the community freely. I always planned to repay him, but he was hit and killed in a turn lane by some old lady who couldn't hardly see the road and was going way to fast over the speed limit. Since then I've realized it's not always about money, but sometimes just helping someone else out.

I'll see what I find, I'm a horrible pack rat anyways, but i just moved and I'm getting a new shed, so i'm sure i can try and accumulate some smaller things as needed.

Foley September 12th, 2014 09:34 PM

Random acts of kindness. It's not always about the money. Pass on your knowledge. Pass on your parts to those who are sincere and worthy.

Foley

Hantke September 12th, 2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 54674)
Random acts of kindness. It's not always about the money. Pass on your knowledge. Pass on your parts to those who are sincere and worthy.

Foley

I should print this on to business cards and attach it to every thing i can find. truer words have not been spoken

MHoyt1964 September 16th, 2014 04:18 PM

Hi Barry, this is a bit off subject but since my job is being shipped off to Mexico and i was out your neck of the woods to visit my brother i found auto mecca in your area. Long story short i bought land in Sandpoint and plan to move once the dust settles. I would be interested in meeting you once i get there if that is acceptable to you. Don't know quite yet when this will happen but it is going to happen. My 64 came from Spokane, from a guy who bought it from a farmer. and yes there is very little left in the yards here in Penna. however i have seen a handful of BBV-6 come thru the yard i pick from.
Thanks Mark

BarryGMC September 16th, 2014 06:29 PM

First. I will gladly meet you. Second. sandpoint is nice. The selkirk and cabinet mountains surround the area. Wonderfull clean lakes. Third. More old rigs than most can imagine. Barry

BarryGMC September 17th, 2014 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic for gmcnut. 61-63 window trim. One door trim. Its from a60 GMC .but I Think its the same as chevy.

David R Leifheit September 17th, 2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 54648)
and thanks for the heads up, i like the '60 hood from chevy better, but the 62-66 gmc hood is my favorite.

Just an FYI

The noticeable difference in hoods, besides the 60-61 and 62-66 look is the turn signals.
62 are clear lense while 64-66 will be amber (orangish) 63 turn signals were clear at the beginning and went amber during the model year as regulations changed.

One of those things to keep in mind if you are ever looking at an "all original" truck.

Hantke September 17th, 2014 07:02 PM

Awesome, thanks! I doubt I will be in the market for an original truck as my mantra is "built not bought" right now, but perhaps that will Change when I'm out of my twenties

Sent from my dumbphone via tapatalk

Andice September 17th, 2014 08:47 PM

Why buy one already built when you can build one yourself for twice the price? LOL.

Hantke September 17th, 2014 11:27 PM

Exactly!!!

Sent from my dumbphone via tapatalk

Clarke September 18th, 2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54662)
Clark I just grabbed another. I will get one to you. Barry

Great, thanks Barry.

BarryGMC September 18th, 2014 04:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More trucks.

FetchMeAPepsi September 18th, 2014 04:21 AM

Any 16" wheels out there :D

BarryGMC September 18th, 2014 04:24 AM

A 67 k20 chev and a 71 GMC. I got a lot off these a 5:30. I will post more pics tommorow. Battery died before i got home.