6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Rare 62 Factory Built Crew Cab? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48420)

aphaynes October 10th, 2014 11:02 PM

Rare 62 Factory Built Crew Cab?

Not sure about the truth behind it, but it looks good...and they kept the 305 V6 in it. :)

http://truckviewtv.com/1-of-6-1962-g...pick-up-truck/

David R Leifheit October 11th, 2014 05:16 AM

Re: Rare 62 Factory Built Crew Cab?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 54964)
Not sure about the truth behind it, but it looks good...and they kept the 305 V6 in it. :)

http://truckviewtv.com/1-of-6-1962-g...pick-up-truck/

63 or newer hood...
Not a 1-1/2 ton body
Also not 1-1/2 ton axles (wrong rims...)

Someone can correct me if I am wrong (which I probably am) but I thought all the crew-cabs (and other extensions) were made by an outside source, none were GMC factory.

I have to agree with some of the comments... that engine needs help.

It looks to be a decent job of rodding it... but beyond that I doubt the story that goes with it.

And to suggest it was one of 6 that got the 305... uhhh... no....

6066gmcguy October 11th, 2014 02:44 PM

No Crew Cabs were factory built.

Which Railroad was it built for? it does not say, but from what the rest of it is saying about it being one of six, and it having the V6, and Canadian, it may be just a lot of messed up facts that over time because the story the owner wants.

Canadian truck were just Chevy clones, and if you had a V6 it was an import from the states. if it was built for the railroad, most likely one of the Canadian lines, and being one of six, well most likely they ordered six of them that year, and they came fomr one of the US Builders, and they offered them with the factory engine, the V6. Also the 9 foot bed was used on one ton trucks.

That truck has been around for a while, i seen it years ago in a magazine. I think it was for sale at one time on ebay as well.

GMCNUT October 11th, 2014 03:27 PM

I was told that truck was a clone and not made by Stageway (external company to GM who made all the crew cab trucks) at all - he combined two cabs and did all the customizing in a shop somewhere. Seems like there was no Stageway metal ID tag anywhere on it, and that is the only way to prove one is real.

Ed Snyder October 11th, 2014 06:28 PM

There is a photo of this truck and other crew cab variations on Jolly's site:

http://6066gmcclub.com/gmcguy/CrewCabs.html

Lots more crew cab photos here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=416573

aphaynes October 11th, 2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 54983)
There is a photo of this truck and other crew cab variations on Jolly's site:

http://6066gmcclub.com/gmcguy/CrewCabs.html

Lots more crew cab photos here:

Thanks Ed. As many times as I have surfed through various links on Jolly's site, I have not seen that page. :thumbsup:

Phat 66 November 3rd, 2014 02:11 AM

Some Thing is Very Funny With This Home Built Truck! No Pun Intened Just Don't Add Up Correctly If You a Really Look At It !! Glass Packs and Exhaust Leaks Are Very Obviously on the Funny Sound Good story
Very Pretty Truck

ron david November 11th, 2014 11:26 PM

the only real difference between the us and canadian built was the motor. nobody is cloning anything. time to get over that.
there were coach builders in both the us and canada that made the c/cab bodies and another falsehood is that they were just made for the railroad. if you had the change in your pocket, you could order one. there were lots that were ordered for the logging industry and I imagine if you wanted a larger truck with a crewcab that could have been arranged same as for Napco installation in a larger truck
ron
think of this; one didn't need an adaptor to put an automatic trans in a canadian built GMC but you had to in a us built one

GMCNUT November 12th, 2014 04:42 AM

"nobody is cloning anything. time to get over that".
Q: WHAT? NOBODY IN AMERICA OR CANADA IS CLONING ANYTHING? THAT'S A GOOD ONE!

"there were coach builders in both the us and canada that made the c/cab bodies"
Q: WHAT COACH BUILDERS OTHER THAN STAGEWAY OR ARMBRUSTER ARE YOU REFERRING TO SPECIFICALLY? DO YOU HAVE DOCUMENTATION SHOWING ANOTHER COACH BUILDER MADE CREW CABS SOLD ON GM LOTS OR WHAT SOURCE ARE YOU QUOTING

"think of this; one didn't need an adaptor to put an automatic trans in a canadian built GMC but you had to in a us built one"
Q: NO AUTOMATIC TRANS ADAPTOR ON A GMC V6 ENGINE INSTALLED IN CANADA? - THAT IS A NEW ONE ON ME - HOW BOUT THE REST OF YOU? ANYONE AGREE?

ron david November 12th, 2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 55284)
"nobody is cloning anything. time to get over that".
Q: WHAT? NOBODY IN AMERICA OR CANADA IS CLONING ANYTHING? THAT'S A GOOD ONE!

"there were coach builders in both the us and canada that made the c/cab bodies"
Q: WHAT COACH BUILDERS OTHER THAN STAGEWAY OR ARMBRUSTER ARE YOU REFERRING TO SPECIFICALLY? DO YOU HAVE DOCUMENTATION SHOWING ANOTHER COACH BUILDER MADE CREW CABS SOLD ON GM LOTS OR WHAT SOURCE ARE YOU QUOTING

"think of this; one didn't need an adaptor to put an automatic trans in a canadian built GMC but you had to in a us built one"
Q: NO AUTOMATIC TRANS ADAPTOR ON A GMC V6 ENGINE INSTALLED IN CANADA? - THAT IS A NEW ONE ON ME - HOW BOUT THE REST OF YOU? ANYONE AGREE?

what are you shouting for?
Canadian GMC,s are not clones of Chevrolet
If you do a little research you will find that there were considerable coach builders
and if you are going to quote someone read the statement and understand it before you put your foot in it.
ron

ron david November 12th, 2014 06:46 AM

here are 3 other american c/cab builders
orrville motor specialty truck
crown
proctor keefe
there was coach builders in Oshawa, ont and Vancouver,B.C.
here is a link to quite a few c/cabs and you will see quite a few differences between them. they(builders) all seemed to have their own styles which you will see
ron

David R Leifheit November 12th, 2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron david (Post 55286)
If you do a little research you will find that there were considerable coach builders
and if you are going to quote someone read the statement and understand it before you put your foot in it.
ron

There were actually few coach builders. Unless you can find more literature than already has been found.

Canadian GMCs were basically just Canadian built Chevrolets with GMC badges. Still ran the inline 6 (v6 wasn't available) just like all Chevrolets. All made at the same plant, if memory serves me correct, its been a few years since I looked into the Canadian trucks.

Andice November 12th, 2014 01:30 PM

How 'bout this weather?

GMCNUT November 12th, 2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron david (Post 55286)
ron

Writing in caps is not shouting but I certainly apologize if it seemed that way to you. I do better understand the cloning comment now, so thank you for that clarification - I thought you were saying that the truck in question couldn't be a clone because no one was doing stuff like that.

Your answer my question about which specific coach builders you were referring to suggests you were simply making a general observation based on limited knowledge rather than stating a fact on a subject you are infinitely familiar with, which was how I took it. You do not have to know what coach builders you are talking about to make a statement like that. I don't see a reply to the auto trans adaptor question I posed so looks like maybe you and I both need to do some more research

GMCNUT November 12th, 2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron david (Post 55287)
here are 3 other american c/cab builders
orrville motor specialty truck
crown
proctor keefe
there was coach builders in Oshawa, ont and Vancouver,B.C.
here is a link to quite a few c/cabs and you will see quite a few differences between them. they(builders) all seemed to have their own styles which you will see
ron

Well, Ron looks like you are schooling us all because I am with David - I have always been of the belief that crew cabs came from one or two companies, Stageway and Armbruster and as far as I ever know, no one else. The link to the 67-72 site shows a lot of pics, but I did not see any info to say Orrville, Crown or Proctor made these for GM buyers. Not sure, but if everyone agrees, I guess this is new information the group may collectively adopt as fact? I will back off and wait to see the weigh in from the longer time members ....always good to learn new info if its provably correct

BarryGMC November 12th, 2014 03:13 PM

I will keep the crew cab stuff to myself for now. But the adapter comment from Ron was funny. All GMC v6 engines require a bell housing adapter. Automatic ones are either for the hydramatic or the Chevy pattern power glide and 400 turbo. All standard manual trannies use the small GMC pattern or the larger sae pattern in bigger trucks. So all v6 engine e need an adapter of some sort. Second every Canadian 60-66 GMC I have seen is more Chevy than GMC. And if you had a 60-62 with an automatic it will have an adapter for the power glide.

ron david November 12th, 2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 55288)
There were actually few coach builders. Unless you can find more literature than already has been found.

Canadian GMCs were basically just Canadian built Chevrolets with GMC badges. Still ran the inline 6 (v6 wasn't available) just like all Chevrolets. All made at the same plant, if memory serves me correct, its been a few years since I looked into the Canadian trucks.

David; what would the difference be between a Canadian built and a US built if it had an I6 engine in it?
ron

ron david November 12th, 2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 55292)
I will keep the crew cab stuff to myself for now. But the adapter comment from Ron was funny. All GMC v6 engines require a bell housing adapter. Automatic ones are either for the hydramatic or the Chevy pattern power glide and 400 turbo. All standard manual trannies use the small GMC pattern or the larger sae pattern in bigger trucks. So all v6 engine e need an adapter of some sort. Second every Canadian 60-66 GMC I have seen is more Chevy than GMC. And if you had a 60-62 with an automatic it will have an adapter for the power glide.

I would really like to know what is more chev than gmc in a Canadian GMC except Canadian production didn't use the V6 eng but used a small block chev eng instead. in the 63-66 production if there was a V6 installed in a US production truck it had to have an adaptor to hook it up to an a/trans. in Canadian production there were no adaptors required to hook up and eng to an a/trans because everything fit. wonder who is cloning who
what you guys seem to say is that the US is the world leader in everything.
ron

ron david November 12th, 2014 04:38 PM

here is a Canadian built GMC crewcab (Vancouver, B.C.) that I dug out og the bushes
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...746/PVyqUE.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...538/WBFTXP.jpg[/IMG]
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...674/PIHMgf.jpg
it had a 292 in it
ron

ron david November 12th, 2014 04:43 PM

here is a 65 GMC ambulance that was built in Oshawa, Ont. that I had. neither of thees were Armbruster or Stageway
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...scf1332iy6.jpg[/IMG]
here is a picture of the ambulance when it was new and belonged to the city of Victoria,B.C.. this was taken from a book on ambulances
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...1208261537.jpg[/IMG]
ron

ron david November 12th, 2014 04:47 PM

here is a 1963 Canadian built GMC c/cab that friend has
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...1207051934.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...1207051932.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...1207051932.jpg[/IMG]
ron

BarryGMC November 12th, 2014 05:03 PM

Canadian GMC trucks used the Chevy rear axles and trailing arm suspension. US GMC used Dana axles. And in 63 went to leaf spring rear suspension. Canadian GMC used Chevy turn signal switches and Chevy custom steering wheels were optional. US GMC used GMC specific signal switches. Since all v6 engines do not have a bell housing bolt pattern cast on the block. All need an adapter to bolt a trans up to it. There are 4. Two for the autos and 2 for the manual trans.

BarryGMC November 12th, 2014 05:13 PM

Forgot to add that US GMC used only two types of dash knobs. The grey 60 style and the black 61-66 style. Canadian used the Chevy pattern knobs.

ron david November 12th, 2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 55299)
Forgot to add that US GMC used only two types of dash knobs. The grey 60 style and the black 61-66 style. Canadian used the Chevy pattern knobs.

those are pretty major differences; dash knobs
ron

ron david November 12th, 2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 55298)
Canadian GMC trucks used the Chevy rear axles and trailing arm suspension. US GMC used Dana axles. And in 63 went to leaf spring rear suspension. Canadian GMC used Chevy turn signal switches and Chevy custom steering wheels were optional. US GMC used GMC specific signal switches. Since all v6 engines do not have a bell housing bolt pattern cast on the block. All need an adapter to bolt a trans up to it. There are 4. Two for the autos and 2 for the manual trans.

my 65 Canadian built 1/2t p/u GMC had leaf springs
ron

BarryGMC November 12th, 2014 05:26 PM

Sorry Ron. But I can't help the stupid. Leafs were optional on Chevy 63-72 coils were not on us GMC 63-66. There are more differences than I have listed. But I am done with this.

David R Leifheit November 12th, 2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 55290)
Writing in caps is not shouting but I certainly apologize if it seemed that way to you.

I realize that internet etiquette isn't common, but typing in all caps is usually considered shouting, since it is loud text.

David R Leifheit November 12th, 2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron david (Post 55293)
David; what would the difference be between a Canadian built and a US built if it had an I6 engine in it?
ron

Well, since GMCs in the US didn't come with I6 engines stock, or at all in the early years, that would be one large difference.
Suspension, axles, and a number of small parts as well.
Also came off different assembly lines (for the most part)
Canadian GMCs were build by GM of Canada, just as the Canadian Chevrolets were, using the same line and parts.

David R Leifheit November 12th, 2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron david (Post 55297)
here is a 1963 Canadian built GMC c/cab that friend has

What's the VIN?

ron david November 12th, 2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 55302)
Sorry Ron. But I can't help the stupid. Leafs were optional on Chevy 63-72 coils were not on us GMC 63-66. There are more differences than I have listed. But I am done with this.

are you referring to yourself about not helping the stupid?
remember; ignorance can be fixed, stupidity is forever
ron
previously Sidworks

ron david November 12th, 2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 55305)
What's the VIN?

I would have to go over there to check it out David
ron

AZKen November 12th, 2014 05:54 PM

Ron, differences are differences. He listed more than just knobs. To focus on just the knobs is just to argue. A collection of differences is important to the discussion that is partly about the DIFFERENCES in US and Can. To dismiss a part of the differences instead of acknowledging the whole collection (and there seems to be even more examples) is an ignorant and rude way for a 15 post Jr. to present. When folks have studied GMC's a long time and hear new info, they don't just fall in love with you, they want proof so that the group, you have chosen to join, can be sure it's not just WIKI crap.

ron david November 12th, 2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 55304)
Well, since GMCs in the US didn't come with I6 engines stock, or at all in the early years, that would be one large difference.
Suspension, axles, and a number of small parts as well.
Also came off different assembly lines (for the most part)
Canadian GMCs were build by GM of Canada, just as the Canadian Chevrolets were, using the same line and parts.

David; what was this page that Jolly had listed on his site?
http://6066gmcguy.com/Inline6.html
ron

ron david November 12th, 2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 55308)
Ron, differences are differences. He listed more than just knobs. To focus on just the knobs is just to argue. A collection of differences is important to the discussion that is partly about the DIFFERENCES in US and Can. To dismiss a part of the differences instead of acknowledging the whole collection (and there seems to be even more examples) is an ignorant and rude way for a 15 post Jr. to present. When folks have studied GMC's a long time and hear new info, they don't just fall in love with you, they want proof so that the group, you have chosen to join, can be sure it's not just WIKI crap.

I have more than likely been around here a lot longer than you have; I just haven't bothered posting that much since the changeover. I had used he moniker "sidworks" before the change and the name didn't seem to follow over so I lost interest for awhile.
I did work on them in the 60's and currently have had my 64 GMC 910 4 x 4 panel for 24 years and have had others, so I am really not ignorant of thye fact. but if as you say one must speak a lot to be knowledgable is pretty ignorant. you should never presume anything.
ron
believe that I started posting here in 05

AZKen November 12th, 2014 06:18 PM

Nice to have you back. I'm an actual Jr.

ron david November 12th, 2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 55311)
I'll break down sentence structure for you also, My sentence, without modifiers, says: "To dismiss a part of the differences instead of acknowledging the whole collection is ignorant and rude....." nothing about "speak a lot". BTW, you,ve "been around a lot longer" ? what are you presuming from that? Knowledge? correctness? don't need documentation? expert on everything?

I see that you are not comprehending what you read. I stated; I have more than likely been around here a lot longer than you have. the more than likely takes away the presumption, just in case
please read what is in front of you before you spout and comprehend
cheers
ron

AZKen November 12th, 2014 06:29 PM

I did reconsider and change my post, but you are too "quick" for me. (read: hot head). We are the same age so you haven't been around anywhere longer than me.

ron david November 12th, 2014 06:46 PM

see you are still not comprehending what was written. I wasn't talking about age ,we were discussing the length of time around this forum. now I see that you are calling me names but I won't step a low as you
you're not having senior moments are you?
ron

GMCNUT November 12th, 2014 07:21 PM

"wonder who is cloning who
what you guys seem to say is that the US is the world leader in everything".
ron

OK, so General Motors in a North American automobile manufacturer with plants and lots of satisfied customers in Canada; it is not the opposite - a Canadian company with lots of satisfied customers in the U.S. so if your view is that GM vehicles are superior to that of Canadian auto makers then yes, you can add GM vehicles to the list of things the U.S. seems to be the world leader in.

GM decided that for cost reasons among other things, that it would borrow from the Chevrolet division its cabs, bodies and frames & drivetrains to use as GMC models in Canada. Guage clusters and dashes are all Chevrolet design from the 50's and 60's. Eaton rear ends instead of Dana's, coil springs vs leafs - every difference between the two makes had between them here basically. the GMC name was added to badging, instruments cluster bezels, etc but the trucks were indeed mostly Chevrolet in Canada. No Pontiac V8's in Canadian 55-59 trucks either so same story there.

GMCNUT November 12th, 2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron david (Post 55301)
my 65 Canadian built 1/2t p/u GMC had leaf springs
ron

Leaf springs were a factory installed option on all 60's Chevrolet trucks despite rumors this is not true; you just seldom see one. I have a 66 Chevy truck now that came with them. So your 65 GMC built in Canada was probably special ordered with the leafs, because 99% of the other Canadian GMC's that rolled off that line got standard coils.