6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stromberg WW throttle return spring (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50003)

bpmcgee May 17th, 2017 01:42 PM

Stromberg WW throttle return spring

Does anyone have a picture of the stock setup? I'm de-converting the Holley the PO had put on, and he just hooked a long spring around an A/C Compressor bolt.

B

AZKen May 17th, 2017 08:58 PM

Re: Stromberg WW throttle return spring

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I did. 305E. The dirty valve covers are temporary. I have plaid. The tab bracket is original way of attaching spring front. Not sure about carb end of spring. Only place that works for me. Spring straight and level.

bpmcgee May 17th, 2017 09:09 PM

By "tab bracket" you mean the piece of metal which appears to be fastened down by a head bolt that your spring fastens to?

B

AZKen May 17th, 2017 09:14 PM

Yes, that is a GMC original. You can make one easily. It's on the water crossover bolt. You can also see it on our "GMC Plaid Valve Covers" Jolly page. I may have one somewhere.
P.S. you never acknowledged/answered your pulley question post?

bpmcgee May 17th, 2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 67111)
P.S. you never acknowledged/answered your pulley question post?

Yeah, I went out for a joy ride on Saturday and ended up having to get towed home -- the float valve appears to have gotten grit wedged in it and flooded the engine. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with it since then.

B

AZKen May 17th, 2017 11:11 PM

Was that the Holley? That must be why you are de-converting. I think that is a good idea.
WW or Rochester. Good, simple carbs.

bpmcgee May 18th, 2017 04:01 AM

No, it was the rebuilt WW. I thought I could get away with the original setup of no fuel filter :(

I'm converting back because the truck only got 5 mpg with the Holley, and the Stromberg fits and looks better with the oil bath oil filter. I'm guessing the Holley was set up all wrong anyway, because I don't notice any difference in power.

B

bigblockv6 May 18th, 2017 04:11 AM

Which Holley 2bbl do you have? There is 500cfm #4412 carb and then there's the smaller the 350cfm version #7448. If you're running the smaller 350cfm version then it's fully understandable there are no performance gains over the stock WW carb. If it's the 500cfm carb then it has some serious issues:ahhhh:

bpmcgee May 19th, 2017 04:18 PM

I just checked -- it's the 4412. A lot of the changes that were made to the truck were done poorly -- sometimes I feel less like I bought the truck and more like I staged an intervention :)

B

James May 20th, 2017 02:11 PM

Taking the Holley off and installing a renew kit and installing smaller jets (which is available and you might have to change the jets again until you settle on the one right for the engine) should show more power/economy gain. Holley spec for the 4412 main jet is 73 (the number is stamp on the side of the jet). A smaller number is leaner, I would only go 2 sizes smaller until I get it close then one size at a time to get it dial in.

However if you still what the Stromberg on your engine that fine too. Then would you sell the Holley, I hate to see it go to waste?