6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Correct Rear Leaf Springs (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48570)

Busted Knuckles 65 January 7th, 2015 04:39 PM

Correct Rear Leaf Springs

The farther I dig into this, the more confusing it gets! Ahhhhhhh!:banghead:

I have a 65 GMC 1000 Series SWB Fleetside truck that I am looking at replacing the rear leaf springs, problem is, i'm not sure if the ones on there are the correct ones to start with. When looking at replacement springs online, the companies that I have looked at thus far says the alignment pin for the rear end is 26" forward, 26" aft. I looked at mine last night and they are 24" forward and 28 aft". If the websites are correct, this indicates that these spring are from a '67-'72, and possibly older. The springs have 8 leafs on them. I'm trying to put the correct ones back in there so any and all help is appreciated!

aphaynes January 8th, 2015 02:10 AM

Re: Correct Rear Leaf Springs

I wish I could offer you some insight there, but that is another of the many things I have not messed with. I did not receive a notification of this new post, but when the system sends it out, the pros here should be able to chime in.

surfamtn October 1st, 2015 03:18 PM

Hey busted knuckles, did you ever solve this leaf spring question?
I'm looking at several of the drop springs that are available online, and I curious if the will bolt right up like they say the will.

Busted Knuckles 65 October 1st, 2015 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ended up buying the 4 inch drop leaf spring from GMC Paul's website. Fit perfectly and bolted up nicely without any modifications. I ended up using the original shackles, just replaced the bushings, which I got from Advance Auto Parts. I replaced the original mounting hardware, which is 9/16 inch diameter bolts. Had to get them at Fastenal, as the local hardware shops don't carry that size. Attached is my truck after the leaf spring replacement as well as a 2 1/2 inch drop spindle install.

surfamtn October 1st, 2015 04:28 PM

Looks great! That is exactly the look I'm after. My brakes are drum and work surprisingly well, so I'm gonna skip the drop spindles for now and cut 2 inches of the front springs.

What shocks are you using?

What size tires are those?

Busted Knuckles 65 October 2nd, 2015 02:40 AM

Thanks, i appreciate it. I just used the stock monroe shocks. With the drop spindles on the front the geometry of the front is not changed and the mount points are still the same. The stock shocks are still on the rears as there is still some throw left on them, but i do need get some that are a little shorter. As for tires i am using 235-70-r15s.