6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pan Gasket Help (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48400)

AZKen September 27th, 2014 10:04 PM

Pan Gasket Help

I am looking with a mirror. Ready to clean off motor flange for new gasket. 305E. I see two 3/4 "holes" in rear of pan mating flange on motor. Something is in there. I see two "plugs" in picture of gasket I ordered. What are these and what do I do? Started to pull these oily, semi-crumbling pieces out of motor bottom flange but decided to ask first. I am trying not to do my usual blast attack on everything.

Funky61 September 27th, 2014 11:23 PM

Re: Pan Gasket Help

I've not changed a pan gasket on these, but scroll down to post #21
and see if that helps explain.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433505

AZKen September 27th, 2014 11:53 PM

I don't see anything, I maybe see a white protrusion where the holes are? Am I missing something you see? Text or Pic?

Funky61 September 28th, 2014 05:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I looked at two factory manuals and they don't mention the plugs.

Here is the photo from Rockauto showing the gasket and plugs you mentioned.

2nd photo:
I thought they may be plugs for those two holes you see on the right side of this second photo; (one towards the front and one towards the back of the block) they are just inside of the old oil pan gasket.

Again I have never changed this gasket and am only trying to further the post so that someone else who has done this will respond. Maybe most don't use them. I am curious myself.

AZKen September 28th, 2014 05:18 AM

Thank you, yes that is the gasket with extra pieces. These two holes are both in the rear by the oil pump, sort of. They are right on the gasket sealing surface. They have either a piece of the old gasket or a plug or something in them. I need to know for sure before I continue. Nothing in the X-6023 manual I have. Hope someone chimes in soon. Look in the back in your pic, where the oil pick up tube meets screen cup, it's about where that white stick-up is. Maybe when I get the gasket on Monday, I will realize what those two round things are. I'm going to guess they are manufacturing holes or something for V12. The gasket seems to go right over them with no corresponding hole? Old gasket broke all up and thrown away before I saw the holes so can't examine.

Funky61 September 28th, 2014 05:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok two more photos found with a maybe answer

Photo 1- shows the area you mentioned with the oil pump removed and with something pushing up on gasket material (hole/plug?)

Photo 2- shows two more holes, not visible before, under the gasket...
might those be the plugs?!

AZKen September 28th, 2014 06:12 AM

Yes, pic 2 with the screw driver handle sticking out. That shows the two big holes. What the heck are they? I guess that stick-up next to one of the holes in question is a busted off pan bolt. Thanks for digging so hard on this, much appreciated.

sclor September 28th, 2014 06:40 PM

Ken:

Those holes have bolt recessed in them for the rear main bearing cap. If you don't have the rubber plugs that go in those holes, you can clean the holes (a shot of brake cleaner should work), then fill the holes with silicon before you replace the pan and gasket.

Hope that helps.
regards,
Steve
New Orleans

AZKen September 28th, 2014 07:21 PM

Thank you Steve. I will do that. Maybe that is what is included with the gasket. Probably is. Will know tomorrow now that you have explained.

AZKen September 30th, 2014 01:06 AM

Yeo, they are 5/16 thick rubber plugs. I will yank the old ones and install these. Thanks again Steve for the reply.