6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48773)

TJ's GMC December 27th, 2015 01:26 AM

Re: 1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build.

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, well today I installed new belts and a new rad cap and overflow tank. The tank really wasn't needed but I installed one just in case. lol And I made a drive by video so you guys could get a better idea of the exhaust. See ya!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

TJ's GMC January 2nd, 2016 04:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well today I went and pressure washed Crustine from top to bottom including the underside....MAN did a ton of mud fall everywhere. lol Also got some super cleaner and sprayed the engine bay down with it and pressure washed the bay....looks a heck of alot better under there now. Firewall looks new! haha While I was at it I installed a ball and safety chain hooks on the bumper so I can tow trailers when needed. Which I did today. lol Put about a 1/4 load of wet oak in the bed and a bunch of branches and towed the trailer around today...double axle trailer weighing probably around 2500 pounds. Slowed the big v6 down a bit but it pulled it no issues none the less. I plan to start using the truck and trailer to tow my 1947 Case VAI around and maybe to some shows. See ya!

rusty66 January 2nd, 2016 02:57 PM

Looking good, especially the engine.:thumbsup:

TJ's GMC January 2nd, 2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty66 (Post 60382)
Looking good, especially the engine.:thumbsup:

Thanks! Yeah, it was nice to see there was still Some paint under the inch layer of grease! lol

TJ's GMC January 20th, 2016 06:02 PM

Well guys Crustine has been running like a champ! I've been driving her all over the place and even towed some loads with her. Been fun! I'm looking into possibly a different tranny for her as the SM-420 is terrible for towing applications. If I can score a good used gear splitter I may jump on it as a new Gear Vendors is a complete rip off.

TJ's GMC February 22nd, 2016 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys! Got my new tailgate installed! No more chevy tailgate on a GMC! :upyes:

Funky61 February 22nd, 2016 09:08 PM

Nice TJ and looks to be pretty straight!

TJ's GMC February 22nd, 2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 60901)
Nice TJ and looks to be pretty straight!

Thanks! And it is Very straight.

TJ's GMC April 18th, 2016 04:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all! Went and visited Ed Snyder today. Had a fun time looking at his trucks and talking about our projects. While I was there I purchased a manifold from him to modify. Super excited to start some cutting. Also got some new shocks and hub caps and grease seals for Crustine. Later guys!

TJ's GMC April 28th, 2016 03:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, Got the new shocks, grease seals, and hub caps installed. Man does this thing drive Alot better. What a difference! Also took some snapshots while I was out. Later all! :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC May 2nd, 2016 12:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well Crustine was hard at work yesterday. Loaded up a bunch of branches and moved some wood with her in the morning.

TJ's GMC May 2nd, 2016 12:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Then after getting my ears lowered I hitched up the trailer and loaded up my 47 Case tractor and took them to the shop where we installed new marker lights and got the tail lights on the trailer working correctly. Also installed a trailer harness on Crustine so now I can legally tow a trailer!!! :thumbsup:
I did find a severely cracked up front brake hose SO I'm gonna ordering new ones. lol

TJ's GMC May 12th, 2016 03:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Scored a set of bumper guards for Crustine. Also chrome painted the valve covers for the heck of it. lol

Funky61 May 12th, 2016 03:35 AM

Great score TJ and the covers came out nice too.

TJ's GMC May 12th, 2016 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 61860)
Great score TJ and the covers came out nice too.

Thanks! They look a bit better in camera. haha But when the sun hits them it almost looks like genuine chrome.

bigblockv6 May 12th, 2016 03:48 AM

Looks close to the real thing in pics:ahhhh:

TJ's GMC May 12th, 2016 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 61862)
Looks close to the real thing in pics:ahhhh:

lol. Looks pretty close in the sunshine to! Moving up in the world. Maybe I'll scout a pair or have them chromed. lol

TJ's GMC May 14th, 2016 09:03 PM

Well drove Crustine around today...Chrome paint is still there so I should be good. lol

bigblockv6 May 14th, 2016 09:17 PM

You know those chrome painted valve covers may eventually tarnish from the heat!:lolsmack2:

TJ's GMC May 16th, 2016 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 61885)
You know those chrome painted valve covers may eventually tarnish from the heat!:lolsmack2:

lol! Then I'll be repainting them! haha!

Well my magnum manifold is on its way! Super excited to cut that thing open and get some air flow through that motor. Probably gonna grab some jet down kits for my edelbrock.

TJ's GMC May 17th, 2016 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my magnum manifold! Gonna take it Wednesday and have a buddy mill it for me.

azlamm65GMC May 18th, 2016 05:32 AM

Very nice

TJ's GMC May 18th, 2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azlamm65GMC (Post 61902)
Very nice

Thanks! Excited to start cutting this evening!

TJ's GMC May 21st, 2016 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started by grinding down the flange on the manifold. I then purchase a 1 inch tall block of aluminum to be the carb adapter. Then I found out that one of my buddies has a mill! :thumbsup: So I'll be getting a perfect job done. Super excited guys!!!

bigblockv6 May 21st, 2016 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Why not just use a 4bbl square bore carb spacer? Save you the extra work:ahhhh:

TJ's GMC May 21st, 2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 61959)
Why not just use a 4bbl square bore carb spacer? Save you the extra work:ahhhh:

I would have! But the one I have wouldn't fit right. The mounting holes to mount the adapter to the manifold were in the wrong places. Oh well! I don't mind. lol

bigblockv6 May 21st, 2016 09:59 PM

The problem is your talking about an adapter and I'm talking about a spacer plate.:pullinghairout: A square bore spacer plate will only have holes where the carb mounts, all you have to do is make 4 new holes in the spacer plate that sink down, you did see the pic of my setup in this previous post?

TJ's GMC May 22nd, 2016 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 61966)
The problem is your talking about an adapter and I'm talking about a spacer plate.:pullinghairout: A square bore spacer plate will only have holes where the carb mounts, all you have to do is make 4 new holes in the spacer plate that sink down, you did see the pic of my setup in this previous post?

Yep! I did. My bad. haha! We were talking about the same thing and I was wording it differently...or not. lol Well it's to late now. Already have everything milled out and ready to be bolted together. Sunday I'll drill and tap the manifold and will be putting it on the motor for a test. More pics to come.

TJ's GMC May 22nd, 2016 04:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pictures of course! lol!
Spent the rest of yesterday after work milling out this intake and adapter. Time consuming, but a lot of fun. Enjoy the pictures!

TJ's GMC May 22nd, 2016 04:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Comparison pictures. And I am surprised at how clean the plugs are considering it was drinking all that fuel with no air.

TJ's GMC May 23rd, 2016 01:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well guys, I got everything installed today! :thumbsup:

All I can say is...Man...What an improvement! Drinks the fuel with No problem and pulls better than I expected. Few vacuum leaks to fix and it'll run like a champ again. Needs new intake gaskets(they'll be here tuesday) and has a little leak between the adapter and manifold which some silicon and a re-tighten should fix. Idles a tad rough and back fires through the exhaust just a tad when slowing down. New gaskets should remedy that. Far as the plugs go...they're burning real clean...even with points and a pertronix coil. Gonna have to put some thicker oil in the engine and a can of engine restore as it looked like it was burning a bit of oil. lol Had to lead foot it a couple times....hopefully didn't hurt anything! Anyhow, Hope ya'all enjoyed your weekend! See ya!

TJ's GMC May 26th, 2016 05:41 AM

Alright, so I installed a new set of intake gaskets....also siliconed the adapter gasket to the intake...well...the leaks are gone or there is at least hardly Any leak. Idles smooth...fires right up...and pulls like a dream. Pops when slowing down now. lol But that's nothing new for a carbed engine. Timing is at 10 so that might be a bit much, but I'm a leave her like this for now. Will pull some plugs and do another check, and will be making a video soon. Got a lead on some 16 inch rims so I will have pictures if I get them.

TJ's GMC May 31st, 2016 05:04 AM

Well Crustine has been running better than ever. Got the fuel gauge to work properly so I can try and do a fuel mileage test. Towing has improved. Hauled a good load of lumber the other day and Crustine did a fine job. Also made a video for ya'all.....will be making a better acceleration video later when I have someone to hold the camera. Later guys!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

aphaynes May 31st, 2016 06:07 PM

:yourock: Looking good!

Funky61 May 31st, 2016 06:46 PM

I'm curious to see if you have an improvement in mileage. Also I read somewhere that adding a crossover pipe in the exhaust stops the popping on deceleration.
Nice work on all these upgrades and videos too TJ; I really enjoy them and looks like you get a lot of views too.

TJ's GMC May 31st, 2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 62062)
:yourock: Looking good!

Thanks man!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 62063)
I'm curious to see if you have an improvement in mileage. Also I read somewhere that adding a crossover pipe in the exhaust stops the popping on deceleration.
Nice work on all these upgrades and videos too TJ; I really enjoy them and looks like you get a lot of views too.

I'm curious to. Hoping the mileage didn't go down! haha! It pops a tad when slowing down, but only around 1500 does it really pop. Plugs are burning clean though. Yeah, finally over 560 subscribers now! Been posting for 2 years. Thanks! :thumbsup:

kchampagne June 2nd, 2016 03:13 PM

TJ, the engine sounds amazing!! What size exhaust are you running?

TJ's GMC June 2nd, 2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchampagne (Post 62085)
TJ, the engine sounds amazing!! What size exhaust are you running?

Thanks! I'm running 2.25 to the muffler and then a 2.5 tail pipe. True dual exhaust. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC June 4th, 2016 09:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well Crustine had another heavy load in tow this morning! Not quite as heavy as last week's, but still good size. :thumbsup: That ol 305 V6 done did a fine job!

TJ's GMC June 12th, 2016 03:03 PM

So yesterday after work I changed the oil and filter in Crustine. Boy that oil came out a bit dirty! Anyhow, fresh rotella 15w-40 seemed to make things all better. I'm gonna head to Napa today and get some zinc additive. I figure it can't hurt since I am driving this truck everyday.
As I have been doing towing and alot of city like driving so far my mileage has been 10 mpg. So I'm guessing 12 on the highway. Mileage and speed should go up a hair as I found a nice set of 238/85r16's that I will be purchasing. Currently has 29's on it right now(sucks, and they have flat spots. lol). Also purchased a new front brake hose as I am in danger of no brakes if it's not changed out soon. haha Not to mention she needs a new brake booster and master cylinder! Oh...add to that a new steering gear box and tie rod arms because the steering has its own mind...especially when gust of wind hit the truck. So quite a list! Will be doing it a little at a time as my 66 takes priority.