6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New guy with a 65 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50687)

HowIsThis August 16th, 2019 05:46 AM

New guy with a 65

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I’m new to the site. I’ve had my 1965 pickup since I was 16, me and my dad both put her together by painting her. Doing the wood bed some upholstery work and I had a blast driving her when I was young

Once I got older I did neglect her a bit, I bought a new car and kinda let her sit for a while, then she all of the sudden wouldn’t crank over anymore. Me and my dad have tried to get her back up and running but unfortunately we don’t know much about the older vehicles. Sometimes it kicks up and runs but then it shuts off. My guess is that it’s the fuel pump, or maybe the lines for corrosion and won’t let her get gas.

Anyways, I’m getting her back up and running and I’ll be logging my work on here as I go but I will need some help from you guys if possible. She has a V7 305 and a 4 speed transmission. Here’s what she looked like in her prime

P.S my sister picked the color and she was 4 and she was into tweety at the time lol

Ed Snyder August 16th, 2019 06:46 AM

Re: New guy with a 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowIsThis (Post 71386)
Hi guys,

I’m new to the site. I’ve had my 1965 pickup since I was 16, me and my dad both put her together by painting her. Doing the wood bed some upholstery work and I had a blast driving her when I was young

Once I got older I did neglect her a bit, I bought a new car and kinda let her sit for a while, then she all of the sudden wouldn’t crank over anymore. Me and my dad have tried to get her back up and running but unfortunately we don’t know much about the older vehicles. Sometimes it kicks up and runs but then it shuts off. My guess is that it’s the fuel pump, or maybe the lines for corrosion and won’t let her get gas.

Anyways, I’m getting her back up and running and I’ll be logging my work on here as I go but I will need some help from you guys if possible. She has a V7 305 and a 4 speed transmission. Here’s what she looked like in her prime.

Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of helpful people here. I would start by thoroughly cleaning the entire fuel system from tank to carburetor. Old gas can turn into something almost resembling molasses. Ask me how I know!

jbgroby August 16th, 2019 02:22 PM

Welcome, we LOVE pictures. BTW there is not a single question you can ask this group in regards to your truck that one of us wont have an answer for, You in the best group going.

BillT August 16th, 2019 02:30 PM

Cool truck.

Like the 4-Speed part.

Looks like it is in pretty nice condition.

Welcome to the site.

POWERSTROKE August 17th, 2019 08:18 PM

Tweety Bird Yellow! Not my favorite color but it sure looks like it kept well since You and your Dad worked on it. These old GMC's sure have character! The 4-speeds sure work better for doing truck "things" with these trucks. Dad always got 4-speeds in his trucks. Until about 1970, traded the '60 Chevy for a '67 F-250 Camper Special, had 352 and FMX auto, predecessor to the C-6. Few years later bought a '67 D-100 Dodge with 225 slant 6 and 3-on-the-tree. Neighbor farmer I worked for always got 3-speeds and V-8's in his pickups too. So much harder on the clutches!

Looking forward to seeing your progress making your GMC your daily driver!

LEWISMATKIN August 18th, 2019 03:46 PM

Welcome to the club! As jake previously said, everybody here is more than willing to help with any question you ask. If you need any p/n's I am more than happy to furnish any you may need.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: