6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   '63 Fenderside in Colorado (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49484)

John Mann July 8th, 2016 04:37 AM

'63 Fenderside in Colorado

Hi everyone,

I'm taking my '63 down to the frame to clean/paint/rebuild. Been tinkering with it for a few years; I've got the time now to get after it.

I have the bed and cab off, and am about to pull the engine. The tranny and clutch come off first. Question is, what's the best way to attach the hoist/leveler to the engine. I've seen where someone pulled two bolts from the intake/head and attached the chain there. Does that use the same bolts, or should I look for some grade 8's? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Charon July 8th, 2016 05:08 AM

Re: '63 Fenderside in Colorado

Oposite corners on the intake. Just get a 1/2 inch longer 3/8th bolt. The grade 5 has a shear over 7000lbs. And tension of about 7500. Don't over think it.

John Mann August 22nd, 2016 03:57 AM

Okay, everyone. I'm an extreme rookie at this. I'm trying to understand how the bell housing comes off my 305 engine. There are four bolts internal to it, but I can't get to them with the flywheel attached. I have removed the clutch. Do I really need to remove the flywheel to get those four internal bolts off?

David R Leifheit August 22nd, 2016 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mann (Post 63340)
Okay, everyone. I'm an extreme rookie at this. I'm trying to understand how the bell housing comes off my 305 engine. There are four bolts internal to it, but I can't get to them with the flywheel attached. I have removed the clutch. Do I really need to remove the flywheel to get those four internal bolts off?

Simple answer.

Yes.

TJ's GMC August 22nd, 2016 05:29 AM

Unfortunately Yes, That is the plain STUPID design with this motor. If I could find the engineer who thought this was an awesome idea I'd hit him with a 2x4! You will have to slide the trans out And drop the pressure plate and then the flywheel.

John Mann August 22nd, 2016 01:39 PM

Thank you, David and TJ. A friend of mine, who has never seen the engine, assured me he couldn't picture having to remove the flywheel, hence my doubt. I'll get to that shortly.

Again, appreciate the advice.

John

WE7X August 22nd, 2016 06:26 PM

A warning...If you are not familiar with these flywheels...It is much heavier that it looks. Be prepared for it. Hopefully you will have some sort of support just below it when it comes off the crankshaft. I use a wooden plank on stands for it to 'fall' on, if it gets away from me.
I've seem toes smashed and concrete chipped by lighter flywheels falling just a couple of feet.

Rod J
Issaquah, WA

John Mann August 22nd, 2016 10:48 PM

Thanks, Rod. Really appreciate the heads up.

John

HOTRODJOHN August 23rd, 2016 01:58 AM

I just polled the motor from my 64 and put bolts in the second exhaust bolt hole from the with a longer bolt and the second hole from the back on the other side. The motor weighs about 765lbs. so you will not be able to use a standard engine stand. I bought a stand that has 2 forward legs on it and bought new heavier duty wheels and replaced them. They usually come with junk wheels. I have the complete motor on the stand and it rolls around easily. The four bolts behind the flywheel is a real joke. GOOD LUCK, John

kchampagne August 23rd, 2016 03:43 PM

Hey John! Yeah, those bolts under the flywheel had me stumped a few months ago too! I am just north of you, near Sedalia. I'd love to see your truck sometime. Have you started a build thread? We'd love to see your truck and progress!

Good luck,
Ken