6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1960 k1001 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48348)

AZKen September 9th, 2014 03:09 AM

Re: 1960 k1001

Well the trauma of getting it out is over. It's home now.

AZKen September 17th, 2014 07:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Cleaning her up. Next step: compression check before continue to clean and paint and renew.

AZKen October 24th, 2014 10:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Phase one complete, Motor Start. Seems to run good but Two of the **** new freeze plugs I put in leaked without pressure! I did not put any goop on them. Should have. I figured it was a waste of time, a press fit is a press fit. But castings are castings. Always did it before. Bottom long bolt on filter leaks a little. Nothing else so far. Temporary Valve covers while I "restore" the plaids. Oil pressure about 50.

AZKen October 31st, 2014 08:49 PM

6 Attachment(s)

Now hubs and brakes getting done. Rears done and one front

Andice October 31st, 2014 10:15 PM

Ken: You certainly aren't messing around! The project is coming along nicely.

AZKen November 1st, 2014 06:31 AM

Well it seems like I am slow. "Lazy is as lazy does". My name is Ken, people call me Ken. I've had it three months. But I'm a one man show. Plumbing and drivetrain install next. Then test drive ,without clip or bed, before continuing. A person needs little successes or mile stone activity to keep going on these projects. Possibly a TV program or two helps also.... And the 6066 GMC Club. Many thanks for the encouragement. The difficult period of finding parts for motor, painting motor, finding brake parts and also the 4X4 hub work is done. The rest is all cleaning, fixing, the dreaded body work, assembly, wiring and so on...if the drivetrain operates OK.

Foley November 1st, 2014 06:39 AM

Nice work Ken. Keep those pictures coming along too. Great training films for some of us!

AZKen November 1st, 2014 07:09 AM

I've done a lot of searching to find parts at O'Reilly's, Napa, Rockauto for the truck. Local places don't have info that far back but I've been able to get PN's from this site, the old parts and other places and convert to available parts at Local Auto Parts stores where I can compare and make sure it's correct and take it back if it does not fit. O'Reilly's is great for that but I find my own parts from their website and tell them the number. Telling them I have a 1960GMC K1001 is no good. Example: 1960 front inner wheel bearing and cup for 4X4: same as 1972 Chevy K10. Could not find it under 1960 GMC K1000. So if anyone needs Part Numbers, or where to buy, I'll be glad to try and help. I'm getting good at finding parts. The places I've listed above, Ebay, Amazon and some other web sites use industry part numbers and you can trace it to a local store which has the part but their database lists it for some other vehicle you would never find. Some of them list the sizes of the part and that helps also. To me it's fun to find them. The "classic truck parts" guys and others, convert to their part number so you can't go around them. I have received a lot of help from members on this site also. Thanks to all.

AZKen November 1st, 2014 08:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cleaned Hub parts, My office desk, present state of chassis.

GMCDAC November 2nd, 2014 02:54 AM

Yeah, agree with everyone else. Great thread! Keep it coming.

DAC