6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Restoring '65 GMC, will '66 Chevy cab, doors, and hood fit? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48795)

azlamm65GMC May 17th, 2015 10:26 PM

Restoring '65 GMC, will '66 Chevy cab, doors, and hood fit?

I am restoring a '65 GMC 1/2 ton short bed/step side, I need a new cab, hood, and doors. I have read that between these GMC and Chevy trucks some parts are interchangeable. So I found a '66 Chevy 1/2 ton that has good doors, cab, and hood. Before I buy these just want to make sure that I can use these '66 Chevy parts for my '65 GMC. I heard the cab the mounts to the frame might need to be altered to fit the cab and the hood and doors will work. Just wanted to ask someone else again before I buy these parts if what I'm wanting to do is possible.
Thanks
Zach

705jmguy May 18th, 2015 12:34 PM

Re: Restoring '65 GMC, will '66 Chevy cab, doors, and hood fit?

yes they will fit, from my limited knowledge and experience they are the same and interchangeable good luck on your cab change

Texas63GMC May 18th, 2015 07:36 PM

there are differences in the rear mounts between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton cabs, but they are pretty easy to change. I know the earlier chevy dashes are different than the same year GMC, not sure about 65 or 66. Do the dashes look the same?
if you find a good cab, the dash can be removed and replaced with some work.

Vernski May 20th, 2015 06:26 AM

Azlamm 64-66 are the same in the GMC 1000 series vs chevy C10, beyond 1/2 ton I can't say for sure as my experience is with the half ton. Changing out the dash is allot of work but GMC's are getting harder to find these days. Good luck with your project...Vernski:goodluck:

Sonic65 May 21st, 2015 12:11 PM

Swapping the VIN plate could be an issue. I remember when I had to get my truck inspected and the inspector gave me a hard time because the rivets on my VIN plate were rounded - headed, not rosette - headed. Just a thought.

GMCNUT May 21st, 2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic65 (Post 57992)
Swapping the VIN plate could be an issue. I remember when I had to get my truck inspected and the inspector gave me a hard time because the rivets on my VIN plate were rounded - headed, not rosette - headed. Just a thought.

Wow - can't believe this - I swap VIN plates all the time to eliminate rusty Alabama cabs in favor of solid Western ones, and we don't have any professional inspectors here - just a bunch of gossipy women who come look at the VIN # and see that it matches my bill of sale, so I believe I could use a Cadillac VIN on a truck and our DMV would never know the difference I don't think - much less ask about the rivets!

Sonic65 May 21st, 2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 57993)
Wow - can't believe this - I swap VIN plates all the time to eliminate rusty Alabama cabs in favor of solid Western ones, and we don't have any professional inspectors here - just a bunch of gossipy women who come look at the VIN # and see that it matches my bill of sale, so I believe I could use a Cadillac VIN on a truck and our DMV would never know the difference I don't think - much less ask about the rivets!

This guy was really technical, pointing out that the style of rivets currently holding the VIN plate were not used back in the 60's. He said for all he knew, the cab could have been switched or the truck could be stolen and I had attached my VIN plate onto someone elses truck. I knew none of his concerns were true, so I went to the salvage yard and found a few older trucks with rosette-headed rivets and reused them on my VIN plate (tricky work). Went back a few weeks later and passed inspection.

bigblockv6 May 21st, 2015 10:57 PM

If you're careful with a small roloc air powered angle grinder it's relatively simple to duplicate rosette style rivets.

gmccollector June 27th, 2015 02:16 PM

For Chevrolet now, Rosette Rivets didn't come into play till mid year 1965 . That is documented. Many early GMC rivets are round right from the factory.1966 was all Rosette.

Sonic65 June 27th, 2015 10:41 PM

I wish I would have had documentation to show the inspector regarding what types of rivers were used when. It would have saved me a lot of work.