6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Known, good part numbers for clutch rebuild kits for the 1500 series... (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48694)

fingle March 15th, 2015 07:06 AM

Known, good part numbers for clutch rebuild kits for the 1500 series...

Greetings!

I am having the worst two weeks of my life trying to get someone to find the 11" clutch rebuild kit for my truck.

Does anyone have a known, good part number and manufacturer for the following rig?

1966 GMC 3/4T pickup
Two-wheel drive
1500 series VIN #
305 E V-6 enging
New Process SM-420 tranny

The LUK kit, and a kit from O'Reilly's Auto Parts in southern california, both feature a clutch disc that has major projections on both sides.

The former rebuild kit, as well the one before that, as well as the one before that, all feature a clutch disk that is nearly flat on one side, with very smail springs and a projecting splined hub on the opposite side.

I used to be able to order the correct kit. now everyone wants to sell me either a 12" disc and pressure plate, or a 10 and 15/16ths kit that comes with a clutch disk that I cannot bolt up, because BOTH sides impact the flywheel.

I'm losing my mind. Please, if you have any actual part numbers, let me know! All the parts houses I've been going to for the past thirty years or more have been unable to help!

Thanks!
- Patrick
fionn.mccueil @ verizon.net

Jeannie March 15th, 2015 07:10 AM

Re: Known, good part numbers for clutch rebuild kits for the 1500 series...

Fingle,

The clutch kit is still readily available. See this thread for part numbers.

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47796

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club

fingle March 15th, 2015 08:00 PM

Thank you, Jeannie, but those kits all seem to specify 12" disc plates, and only change to 11" if I select a different model of truck and engine than the one I actually own.

The correct clutch disc for my truck is nearly flat on the flywheel side, and I keep finding the kits that have the giant procecting springs on the flywheel side. It's very frustrating.

I am still hoping that there is someone out there with an actual part number for the right kit, rather than links to eBay and Amazon.

I have my old parts out of the truck again, so I'm going to haul both pieces down to my favorite shop and fling it on their counter and beg for help.

Although that didn't work yesterday, after my second favorite shop assured me that I would be getting the right part. OY!

Thanks for the help, though. I guess I can rent a car for a week and order something online on the off chance that it's right, if it comes to that, but that is an expensive fix!

- Patrick

bigblockv6 March 15th, 2015 08:07 PM

The only difference in the clutch for the V6 vs the inline 6 and V8 is the center splined hub, a local clutch remanufacture can reverse that hub. I've had this done before, basically they have to break off all the rivets holding the disc together, reverse the hub then re- rivet the whole assembly.

snazzypig March 16th, 2015 07:29 PM

Don't rule out the 12" clutch. I believe it will work fine. Maybe someone else here can confirm that, or you can search the forum for more information.

fingle March 16th, 2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 57203)
The only difference in the clutch for the V6 vs the inline 6 and V8 is the center splined hub, a local clutch remanufacture can reverse that hub. I've had this done before, basically they have to break off all the rivets holding the disc together, reverse the hub then re- rivet the whole assembly.

Thanks! I've considered having the splined hub simply machined down on the new 11" disk, but maybe someone can do that for me. I just got a quote from someone who offered to do something like that for $245.00, but that seems a bit steep. I have to go retrieve my old parts from him so that perhaps I can at least get back to driving the truck with a soft clutch until I can solve this problem.

fingle March 16th, 2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snazzypig (Post 57215)
Don't rule out the 12" clutch. I believe it will work fine. Maybe someone else here can confirm that, or you can search the forum for more information.

I guess I'll measure the flywheel and see if it will accept a 12" disk on the mating surface. That could solve this problem. Thank you for the idea!

bigblockv6 March 16th, 2015 09:32 PM

Yes a 12 inch clutch will work on the stock flywheel. I first converted to a 12 inch clutch on my 68 KM-2500 30 years ago. Basically it was a Webber replacement clutch for newer trucks built in the 80's but also an upgrade for earlier model, the pressure plate bolted right up to the stock V6 flywheel. What needs to be done when resurfacing the flywheel is to make sure the entire circumference of the face is resurfaced for the larger clutch disc.:goodluck:

aphaynes March 16th, 2015 09:41 PM

I believe GMCNUT rebuilt his clutch not long ago. I would search through his posts to see what he did to keep the 11"

aphaynes March 16th, 2015 09:45 PM

Here ya go.
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48447