6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48479)

1960HDGMC November 19th, 2014 05:31 PM

Re: 1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck

4 Attachment(s)
Fetch, I have thousands of pictures. I bought a digital camera when I started, so I could get pics as we pulled here apart, so I had a clue as to how to get her back together. I wish I had more than the one pic of the before truck. She was pretty far gone. Had it not been for the history of this truck, and my memories of it, I would have never bothered with the truck.
Here are a few pics during the work. Not a lot of rust, but some. She slept inside the Harley shop at night for years. Now I keep her inside the garage, heated and cooled.

Ed Snyder November 19th, 2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 55459)
This truck is a 1960 GMC 1002 Wideside,1/2 ton pickup truck. Purchased new in 1959 by my friend, Mr. Grover Sasaman. He bought it for a delivery truck for his new business, Harley Davidson Sales of Macon Georgia. I hope you enjoy looking at my ole truck. And feel free to offer insights, ideas, even criticisms if you have them. It all helps further the craft. Thanks, Greg Mead

Outstanding thread, Greg! Keep up the good work! Any idea how many engines it's had in its million miles? Surely the 396 didn't last that long. What's under the hood now?

bozzhogg November 19th, 2014 07:11 PM

Hay man that's a really nice truck. How well does that 396 run??? When you pull it out to drop in the 305 V6 let me know how much you want for that 396 un less someone out there has a 351 GMC V6 they will sell me right cheap.

1960HDGMC November 20th, 2014 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The bed wood is Bald Cypress. I went to the wood yard of a local swamp and picked from there select stack. I also made some stake rails to match the floor. "One Time" stain was used. It stinks until fully catalyzed, but does a wonderful job. The 396 is the third motor for the truck. The first 396 was on its last leg when I got the truck. I found this 1971 Camaro 396 in a wrecked 1978 Chevy truck. It was wrapped around a telephone pole. But the motor was just built. I stored it for years till the time came to drop it in. It is still very tight. A friend donated the cast valve covers, and we painted them to match the motor and air cleaner. Sanderson headers and the air cleaner are two of the few new parts. Most of the engine is junk yard finds.

1960HDGMC November 20th, 2014 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the frame hung from a boom. We used that on a lot of the heavy lifting. I took pictures of all the stamped markings on the frame while I had access and clean metal to work with. Even found a painted production code on the frame rails, completely hidden under the crud of 50 years.

FetchMeAPepsi November 21st, 2014 03:17 AM

Very nice pics! Keep 'em coming. I'm always a fan of the original stuff but the history and story here are priceless.

1960HDGMC November 21st, 2014 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fetch, I grew up comparing other trucks to this one, and always thinking they just could not compare. Never dreamed I would one day own what everybody called "Grovers Truck".
Mr. Grover Sasaman is a living legend around here. He went to the Harley School in 1939. Mr. Harley asked him to start a southern dealership, and he did. During WWII, he built a short take-off field for Jimmy Doolittle and his Tokyo Raiders. They practiced take offs from a carrier deck on the one Mr. Grover built. After that, he went into the US Marine Corps, and served till the end of the war. I am honored to know him and blessed to be the curator and caretaker of this fine old truck. Greg Mead

1960HDGMC November 29th, 2014 04:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some examples of the 1960 Harley-Davidson Tank Badges. They used this for the badging on the truck. In fact, the trucks color scheme was chosen to go with the current trend of Two-Tone paint schemes from Harley-Davidson. I am grappling with the idea of adding the artwork back to the truck. I may wind up going with the new vinyl cling on product. That way, I have the option to peel it off without going back to the paint booth. Any thought or suggestions? No cussin, purists. It had this very badging on it since 1959, when Mr. Grover took it to our local sign shop, and had them paint it on. I like the truck in its current bone stock paint. But I grew up with the badging, and like it too.

1960HDGMC November 29th, 2014 05:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For comparison.

GMCNUT November 29th, 2014 05:21 PM

I had the pleasure of stopping in and seeing Greg's truck on my way home from the Moultrie Georgia swap meet last weekend, and I tell you what - the pictures do not do it justice - the truck looks amazing. Even in this club you just never see a real custom cab 1960-61 GMC anywhere....never see any at shows, for sale online etc, and even fewer with the correct two-tone paint scheme. Cant wait to see it with the Harley Dealership logo back on it the way it was originally.

A buddy of mine has a real, custom cab 1960 GMC w/ short wideside bed, big window, factory PS & PB, Hydramatic, hood jet and very straight GMC specific stainless trim....I have been patiently waiting for him to decide to sell it, and we are getting close now (evil laugh) it will yet be mine