6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   I-6 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help for a new guy (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47728)

BarryGMC September 13th, 2013 05:49 AM

Re: Help for a new guy

I think you won't have any trouble if you get a kit for a 66 rochester monojet. I am 99% sure that was a stock I6 truck. Everything looks correct. The vin # will confirm this. Second thing if you get to spokane let me know. I will give you some gmc grill letters. Free of charge. Barry

tommyduncan September 13th, 2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 50248)
OK, clearly the tank is shot and I got another one (and sending unit). When I ran some some clean gas from a can through it the engine purred like a kitten.
Based on the pics can you folks point me in the right direction for a carb kit? It's a 230/250 based on the casting numbers. There's a youtube video I think I can follow, but I want to make sure I have the right kit. Thanks!

Now you are getting somewhere... sorry, no help on that carb other than I think I have might one laying around that I can send you if you really get in trouble. I will take a closer look when I get a chance.

GMCDAC September 16th, 2013 12:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Vern, wife and I took the '55 on a trip for a couple of days. Just got back. Incase you didn't get a carb kit yet, here is a closer pic of my carb and a couple of the kit I used in it.

Later---DAC

Vernski October 3rd, 2013 08:06 PM

Hi Vern just wanted to say hello from North Idaho I live about 8mi nw of CDA at Rathdrum. My truck is a 65 custom granny 4sp and a 230 engine. I had the same problems with dirty tank lines and filters when I got it clean it run like a new one. The truck came off a farm in Western Mont. up near Havure and it sat allot but it started up and run long enough to get it on a trailer. Oh and my name is also Vern but I use Vernski from 60-66 truck forums handle.:lolflag:

Vern October 4th, 2013 04:17 AM

Yea, I live north of Moscow (we're practically neighbors by N.Idaho distances). :lolflag:

I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump and lines to the carb. I got it to start and idle but it was pretty rough. Hopefully I'll wrap up replacing the gas tank and the rest of the lines this weekend.

GMCDAC October 5th, 2013 12:45 AM

If you were closer I have a clean gas tank from a '64 Chevy pickup and the steel fuel lines you could have.

Later---DAC

Vern October 8th, 2013 03:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, the tank, fuel lines, pump, and rebuilt carb are installed! Unfortunately, there's a ghost in the system somewhere. Idles great, but about stalls out when you step on the gas.

FetchMeAPepsi October 8th, 2013 06:48 PM

My guess would be that it's timing light time! That's what mine was doing and I ended up having my timing set at some goofy number like 30 over. you can buy one from autozone and return it if you need to but it's good to have one on hand from time to time. :goodluck:

Vern October 15th, 2013 03:33 AM

OK, I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, wires, and adjusted the timing. Today I drove it to a shop on the maiden voyage to get the brakes inspected. When I pushed the choke in all the way and tried to get it out of first, it stalled every time. When I pulled the choke out a little bit, I was able to drive it. Very rough and my wife complained that I smelled like an old gas rag when I got home, but I was able to get it up to 50 MPH. Any ideas about what is going on?

FetchMeAPepsi October 15th, 2013 07:59 PM

If you're smelling gas it could be your mixture is too rich now that your timing is right. The idle mixture screws might be too far out or (i doubt this) your acceleration linkage needs adjusting. That involves bending the rods though so Id do that as last resort.

Too you got to remember that theyre old trucks without all the fancy catalytic converters on them. theyre gonna smell somewhat like gas. dont run them in a closed garage lol. :poke: