6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Split rims worth $$ ? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48522)

AZKen December 9th, 2014 01:21 AM

Re: Split rims worth $$ ?

It seems FedEx, Greyhound all have different rules for different areas. Tried to ship wheels that way. They made me put them in a box with packaging material. It is totally up to the person at the counter. Their packaging rules allow them to be stiff or loose. Maybe the guy who picks up is nicer, more flexible. I will place in "for sale" when actually ready to sell after contacting those who have shown interest. Thanks

GMCNUT December 9th, 2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 55861)
It seems FedEx, Greyhound all have different rules for different areas. Tried to ship wheels that way. They made me put them in a box with packaging material. It is totally up to the person at the counter. Their packaging rules allow them to be stiff or loose. Maybe the guy who picks up is nicer, more flexible. I will place in "for sale" when actually ready to sell after contacting those who have shown interest. Thanks

So the "person at the counter" is a business owner with a license to ship Fedex, UPS etc - so you are subject to that non-carrier employees' whims. I ship wheels from all over the U.S. to my house using every carrier, and they will all take them just like I described. Its cheap and fast to do for the seller, and no dealing with the idiot of the week behind the counter because FedEx comes to you with labels in hand and takes em' right off your porch. Simple as that....

AZKen December 9th, 2014 04:49 PM

I don't know if they are FedEx employee or not. It's not a general shipping place, it's a FedEx Center. I don't use any other shipper at this time. FedEx is always cheaper. Your method is the same or more work than a box and no lighter. The "porch" pick up is either method. I print the labels.

aphaynes December 9th, 2014 06:18 PM

From UPS:
Quote:

Tires

Irregularly Shaped Items Tires
Packing
Please apply a wide band of pressure-sensitive tape through the center of the tire and then completely around the body of the tire, so the tape is attached to itself.

Labeling
Please attach your completed address label to the strip of tape where it covers the tread.
Cover your label with clear tape.
From FedEx Freight:
Quote:

Tires
Band and stretchwrap a tire or multiple tires to a pallet
for freight shipping. FedEx Packaging Services also
recommends an anti skid surface for tall stacks to reduce
product movement. To complete your shipment, use a
tie-on tag or a tire/crate label.

Tire/Crate Labels and Tie-On Tags
FedEx Express offers tire/crate labels designed to be
applied to tire treads, but they are also appropriate for
crates, plastic-wrapped products, pails, and other
applications where a good seal is difficult. The tire/crate
label serves as a foundation for your shipping label. It
features a strong adhesive to ensure an intact seal during
transit, but it comes off in one piece when removed at its
destination. For FedEx Express Freight shipments, you can
request tire/crate labels, tie-on tags and cable ties at
fedex.com, or call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339. You
may also contact your account executive for supplies.
I can't see why the same would not apply to wheels. GMCNUT seems to have the simplest proven method mentioned here.

AZKen December 9th, 2014 06:26 PM

Because of the material, Rubber! Wheels are a big piece of heavy round steel. Tires on wheels are not even what FedEx is talking about. Anyway, I don't argue with my lady at the counter.

Andice December 9th, 2014 07:01 PM

Yawn................

AZKen December 17th, 2014 11:07 PM

They are in the marketplace.

frictionman February 5th, 2015 04:38 AM

For the guys who do their own tire work, this is probably old info but I have changed tires on snap ring wheels since i was barely a teenager. I've done maybe hundreds, all sizes and styles and never had one come apart. Make sure the ring is in it's proper position before air is applied and they cannot come apart. I have seen two come apart that others were doing and both times, the ring wasn't set right and after the tire had pressure, a hammer was used to "seat" the ring in place. Bad move. Never hit a snapring under pressure. I still run a lot of them on my trucks and trailers and so far, forty some years of saving money by doing it myself, no problems.

BTW, our 63 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 originally had 15" 8 hole snap ring wheels with 700x15's. Now it is sporting 7.50 17's with 3 piece wheels. Tall skinny is great in snow.

As for the price, if I'm selling, I can't give them away, but if i need one, the guy who wants to sell me his would want $50 for it.

Ratdog July 2nd, 2015 04:49 AM

My opinion is they are not worth nothing. I have some on my 68 GMC 2500 and will not use them in the future. Too dangerous I think. Worth whatever the scrapyard will give you for them. Just my thoughts.

cbeeker September 17th, 2015 12:01 PM

My 64 GMC 1500 original 8 lug lock rims look in good condition, and I am considering putting them back on my truck. I was told by local tire shop they are 16" but when I measure outside edge it is 16.5". Can someone provide info on proper sizing as I am not sure what Is original for 3/4 ton Fleetside PU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk