6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Split rims worth $$ ? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48522)

AZKen December 5th, 2014 10:43 PM

Split rims worth $$ ?

Are 15" 6 lug GM split ring wheels with hub cap clips worth much? How much?

GMCNUT December 6th, 2014 04:51 AM

Re: Split rims worth $$ ?

Ken, post some pics of them - I might have a use for them if they have the correct caps etc

AZKen December 6th, 2014 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I really need to know prices from someone who has sold or bought recently.

GMCNUT December 7th, 2014 05:42 PM

So, the split rims are called "widowmakers" because of how dangerous they can be when they come apart - 90% of today's tire stores will not mount tires to these rims because of how many people have been killed and seriously hurt by them. So the value of these type wheels is hard to say because its so hard to find anyone who will use them. I chose to retain the original split rims on my 64 despite all this because I wanted to run the stock hubcaps. Likewise, I have bought a 3/4 ton 59 Apache now that will arrive here soon from Idaho, and it does not have the stock split rims, but I was considering hunting a set for it because I incidentally happen to already have a set of the correct hubcaps for it. I would like for some other members to chime in on their thoughts on values of these type wheels before I say anything about what I think they are worth....would like you to get a good accurate idea from people who are not necessarily interested in buying them first

Funky61 December 7th, 2014 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It would be a unique sale to someone looking for the correct restoration/look.

I tried selling a set from my 73 GMC; 16" lock-ring original and it was a no go. I liked the "Look" but I ended up giving them away. Still I got a chance to meet fellow member Foley so it turned out great.

AZKen December 7th, 2014 06:52 PM

I agree about the danger for me but many are not afraid of them. It's easy to build a safety cage.

Clyde December 8th, 2014 02:00 PM

Every truck tire retailer should have a safety cage. The mounting area on the rim should be cleaned properly and inspected for cracks along with the ring, then mount the ring on the rim with out the tire and make sure it seats correctly, then there should not be any problems. Just make sure and use a cage and an air inflator that clips on to the valve stem so it will inflate the tire unattended, this way if the ring comes off in the cage it will be knocked off and no one gets hurt. During the early 60's I worked in a Foreign car shop that was next door to a truck tire store, one of their employees got killed by a ring coming off, the tire was not in a cage.

Foley December 8th, 2014 06:01 PM

The buying market is a very, very, small special niche of people like those of us on this forum. And then, even a smaller percentage of that particular group who might be interested in the originality of those wheels. Most guys don't want to deal with them and most tire shops WON'T deal with them. So, add all that up, and I'll just say what I've learned over many years of buying/selling/trading parts for old vintage machinery. It's only a good deal when the buyer and the seller both walk away with smiles on their faces and a warm hand shake.. The best way to start the dance is to throw a dollar value out there and see what kind of response you get from the other parties.

As Henry said, my set (with tires) cost me an overnight trip 875 miles down and back to Southern California. The chance to meet another collector, a warm hand shake and a new GMC friend. The value of those wheels: Priceless.

AZKen December 8th, 2014 08:00 PM

I would only sell them locally anyway, which is even less chance. Don't want to ship.
Thanks for all the input. I would never be nostalgic enough to use them. Many farmers, ranchers and enthusiast are experienced and use good caution on them. The part that would bother me is age and unseen fatigue. That is the main reason for not using old widow makers that I see.

GMCNUT December 8th, 2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 55857)
I would only sell them locally anyway, which is even less chance. Don't want to ship.
Thanks for all the input. I would never be nostalgic enough to use them. Many farmers, ranchers and enthusiast are experienced and use good caution on them. The part that would bother me is age and unseen fatigue. That is the main reason for not using old widow makers that I see.

Shipping wheels is one of the easiest things you will ever do - simply lay the wheel on flat cardboard and cut a perfect circle using a box cutter, and repeat until you have enough "disks" to cover the front and back of each wheel - then simply wrap silver duct tape over and over until decently secure, and wait for the buyers' scheduled FedEx guy to come and take them off your porch. Not painful at all. If you change your mind about shipping I'd probably give like 30 bucks each for them....no big deal if not

AZKen December 9th, 2014 01:21 AM

It seems FedEx, Greyhound all have different rules for different areas. Tried to ship wheels that way. They made me put them in a box with packaging material. It is totally up to the person at the counter. Their packaging rules allow them to be stiff or loose. Maybe the guy who picks up is nicer, more flexible. I will place in "for sale" when actually ready to sell after contacting those who have shown interest. Thanks

GMCNUT December 9th, 2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 55861)
It seems FedEx, Greyhound all have different rules for different areas. Tried to ship wheels that way. They made me put them in a box with packaging material. It is totally up to the person at the counter. Their packaging rules allow them to be stiff or loose. Maybe the guy who picks up is nicer, more flexible. I will place in "for sale" when actually ready to sell after contacting those who have shown interest. Thanks

So the "person at the counter" is a business owner with a license to ship Fedex, UPS etc - so you are subject to that non-carrier employees' whims. I ship wheels from all over the U.S. to my house using every carrier, and they will all take them just like I described. Its cheap and fast to do for the seller, and no dealing with the idiot of the week behind the counter because FedEx comes to you with labels in hand and takes em' right off your porch. Simple as that....

AZKen December 9th, 2014 04:49 PM

I don't know if they are FedEx employee or not. It's not a general shipping place, it's a FedEx Center. I don't use any other shipper at this time. FedEx is always cheaper. Your method is the same or more work than a box and no lighter. The "porch" pick up is either method. I print the labels.

aphaynes December 9th, 2014 06:18 PM

From UPS:
Quote:

Tires

Irregularly Shaped Items Tires
Packing
Please apply a wide band of pressure-sensitive tape through the center of the tire and then completely around the body of the tire, so the tape is attached to itself.

Labeling
Please attach your completed address label to the strip of tape where it covers the tread.
Cover your label with clear tape.
From FedEx Freight:
Quote:

Tires
Band and stretchwrap a tire or multiple tires to a pallet
for freight shipping. FedEx Packaging Services also
recommends an anti skid surface for tall stacks to reduce
product movement. To complete your shipment, use a
tie-on tag or a tire/crate label.

Tire/Crate Labels and Tie-On Tags
FedEx Express offers tire/crate labels designed to be
applied to tire treads, but they are also appropriate for
crates, plastic-wrapped products, pails, and other
applications where a good seal is difficult. The tire/crate
label serves as a foundation for your shipping label. It
features a strong adhesive to ensure an intact seal during
transit, but it comes off in one piece when removed at its
destination. For FedEx Express Freight shipments, you can
request tire/crate labels, tie-on tags and cable ties at
fedex.com, or call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339. You
may also contact your account executive for supplies.
I can't see why the same would not apply to wheels. GMCNUT seems to have the simplest proven method mentioned here.

AZKen December 9th, 2014 06:26 PM

Because of the material, Rubber! Wheels are a big piece of heavy round steel. Tires on wheels are not even what FedEx is talking about. Anyway, I don't argue with my lady at the counter.

Andice December 9th, 2014 07:01 PM

Yawn................

AZKen December 17th, 2014 11:07 PM

They are in the marketplace.

frictionman February 5th, 2015 04:38 AM

For the guys who do their own tire work, this is probably old info but I have changed tires on snap ring wheels since i was barely a teenager. I've done maybe hundreds, all sizes and styles and never had one come apart. Make sure the ring is in it's proper position before air is applied and they cannot come apart. I have seen two come apart that others were doing and both times, the ring wasn't set right and after the tire had pressure, a hammer was used to "seat" the ring in place. Bad move. Never hit a snapring under pressure. I still run a lot of them on my trucks and trailers and so far, forty some years of saving money by doing it myself, no problems.

BTW, our 63 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 originally had 15" 8 hole snap ring wheels with 700x15's. Now it is sporting 7.50 17's with 3 piece wheels. Tall skinny is great in snow.

As for the price, if I'm selling, I can't give them away, but if i need one, the guy who wants to sell me his would want $50 for it.

Ratdog July 2nd, 2015 04:49 AM

My opinion is they are not worth nothing. I have some on my 68 GMC 2500 and will not use them in the future. Too dangerous I think. Worth whatever the scrapyard will give you for them. Just my thoughts.

cbeeker September 17th, 2015 12:01 PM

My 64 GMC 1500 original 8 lug lock rims look in good condition, and I am considering putting them back on my truck. I was told by local tire shop they are 16" but when I measure outside edge it is 16.5". Can someone provide info on proper sizing as I am not sure what Is original for 3/4 ton Fleetside PU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed Snyder September 17th, 2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbeeker (Post 59232)
My 64 GMC 1500 original 8 lug lock rims look in good condition, and I am considering putting them back on my truck. I was told by local tire shop they are 16" but when I measure outside edge it is 16.5". Can someone provide info on proper sizing as I am not sure what Is original for 3/4 ton Fleetside PU.

The point of measurement is the step down inside the outer edge, which in your case is quite likely 16" if the overall diameter is 16.5". The 16" size is probably what came originally on your 3/4 ton. The 16.5" wheels were introduced a few years later.

AZKen September 17th, 2015 07:31 PM

Measure circumference around bead, divide by 3.1416= Diameter.
Or you can measure from the rear of wheel, bead to bead.
Split rims may be easier with ring off, you can get to the actual diameter.

cbeeker September 17th, 2015 09:35 PM

Well what I thought were 16.5 rims for my 1964 GMC 1500, divide out to be 15" lock rims. Seems 3/4 ton would have come with larger rims but the original owner indicated theses were original with 1965 purchase of this truck new in Portland Oregon. Markings on the lock rims "USA Precision B5515TS. Does anyone know what this means?

cbeeker September 17th, 2015 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 3643http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...1ffd7f71ed.jpg

cbeeker September 17th, 2015 09:43 PM

1964 GMC 1500 and original 15" lock rims now living in Indiana

fletch September 17th, 2015 09:44 PM

A quick google led me to this page.

http://forums.aths.org/Attachment7844.aspx

fletch

cbeeker September 17th, 2015 09:48 PM

Great info... Page 5-6 shows my number referenced as 15 x 5.5. Thanks....

FetchMeAPepsi September 17th, 2015 10:05 PM

I'd be happy as a pig to get a set of 16" rims for Cecilia. It's kinda off topic but my 15's are hard to find tall piecrust tires for.

AZKen September 17th, 2015 10:10 PM

With B= Base and TS= Test Specification xx.xx

cbeeker September 17th, 2015 10:14 PM

Agree as all the discussion about 15 x 5.5 tire options get quite confusing. Not ready to go back with originals yet but strongly considering. I really like original with the caps. Currently I have a new set of chrome 8 lugs with P265/70R16 Kelly, that came with the truck I bought at Barrett Jackson last year in Reno. Drove the truck home to Indiana on the new tires, but want to get rid of them and put originals on my 1964 GMC 1500

David R Leifheit September 17th, 2015 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde (Post 55854)
Every truck tire retailer should have a safety cage. The mounting area on the rim should be cleaned properly and inspected for cracks along with the ring, then mount the ring on the rim with out the tire and make sure it seats correctly, then there should not be any problems. Just make sure and use a cage and an air inflator that clips on to the valve stem so it will inflate the tire unattended, this way if the ring comes off in the cage it will be knocked off and no one gets hurt. During the early 60's I worked in a Foreign car shop that was next door to a truck tire store, one of their employees got killed by a ring coming off, the tire was not in a cage.

You know how many sites claim that someone was killed when dismounting the tire? The lack of knowledge is astounding. *Any* tire still under pressure being dismounted could cause problems. It was -inflating- that the problems actually happened. Although most places have a cage, and split/locking ring wheels are still in popular use for big trucks, forklifts, and other equipment so I am not sure why they are only bad or dangerous for pickups... seems it is more like they are bad or dangerous for shop employees who don't pay attention.
If the lock ring is clean, and the groove it seats in is clean (or the bead is clean), and the lock ring is properly seated, these wheels are no better or worse than others. It takes a few minutes more, and you need to pay attention, but that seems to be all it takes. The plus side is you can do these yourself, if you have the tools (which are 2 types of pry bars basically) you could dismount, fix, remount/inflate and be on your way if broken down by the side of the road... and if you have a compressor and some arm strength that is.

David R Leifheit September 17th, 2015 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbeeker (Post 59244)
Well what I thought were 16.5 rims for my 1964 GMC 1500, divide out to be 15" lock rims. Seems 3/4 ton would have come with larger rims but the original owner indicated theses were original with 1965 purchase of this truck new in Portland Oregon. Markings on the lock rims "USA Precision B5515TS. Does anyone know what this means?

My 1961 1500 came with 15" rims. 17" were available and my '63 2500 had 18" wheels (try to find affordable tires for those).

Somewhere in my stuff I have a listing of all the different wheel sizes. Quite the variation for some. I think it would be funny to see a 15" set on a 1500 sitting next to 17" on a 1000 series.

jagarra September 18th, 2015 10:02 PM

My 62 came with 15" 3 piece wheels. Most shops won't touch them, so I change the tires myself. Then I know they are done right.
Spare got lost over the years, had to settle for a standard style 15 for that purpose.

sodly October 27th, 2015 03:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Original lock ring wheels just look right, IMHO.

AZKen October 27th, 2015 06:30 AM

Looks Nice!