6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stalling with choke out (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49699)

Jmclendon November 3rd, 2016 04:02 AM

Stalling with choke out

Instead of going to a fast idle, it stalls when I pull the choke out.

Within the last week it's gotten a new set of plugs and the carb was leaned out a bit as it was running too rich (which I'm told is what killed the last set of plugs).

The valves were adjusted as well (although I really don't know if the mechanic did it correctly. I'm not happy with how the engine sounds).

I've fully taken on board the notion that no one gets to work on the truck but me (I'll likely make an exception when it comes to any electrical work) that isn't dead basic).

Anyway, any thoughts on the stalling?

Thanks as always!

FetchMeAPepsi November 3rd, 2016 04:09 AM

Re: Stalling with choke out

Does it stall when you pull it half out? Cecilia doesn't like full choke either. You're giving her/him no air to breathe. For me, about 1/2" of choke and Cecilia will start in the dead of winter. There's no need to gag the poor girl.

Jmclendon November 3rd, 2016 04:16 AM

Pretty much any choke and he starts to misbehave.
Having said that, it's usually somewhere between 70 and 90 degrees over here. Even at night it rarely gets below 65 in summer time. So it's not like I need the choke to get him to start. I just assumed if it completely stalled that something was wrong?

FetchMeAPepsi November 3rd, 2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmclendon (Post 64529)
Pretty much any choke and he starts to misbehave.
Having said that, it's usually somewhere between 70 and 90 degrees over here. Even at night it rarely gets below 65 in summer time. So it's not like I need the choke to get him to start. I just assumed if it completely stalled that something was wrong?

Nope, you're fine. Choking makes the air/fuel ratio really rich so it'll spark up and fire off when it's cold outside. S ometimes you can choke it a very small amount if it isn't starting well from sitting a while too, but it sounds like you don't have that problem.

jrmunn November 3rd, 2016 06:25 PM

My experience with both Stromberg and Holley carburetors has been that some choke should be needed to start a cold engine (either because of cold weather or sitting overnight any time). If no choke is needed to start a cold engine, then it is probably running too rich all of the time. I agree with Fetch that full (or even 2/3) choke will (and I think should) kill the engine or, if you are trying to start it, will flood the engine if left on for more than a couple of cranks. And a little faster idle helps the engine keep running with a small amount of choke while it warms up.

I am also wondering how you would lean out the carburetor when the choke is not on? I think that on my current Holley, this would require putting in smaller jets. I can't remember if there was an adjustment, for other than idle mixture, on the Stromberg.

JRMunn

TJ's GMC November 3rd, 2016 09:11 PM

My ww had a vacuum leak so it would idle faster on choke. Unless you convert to a more modern carb like a Holley 2 barrel or 4 barrel, the choke is made for starting the motor and then being pushed in so the engine can idle(my experience anyhow). Unless it's 10 degrees out then you'll probably need choke to richen the mixture. Cold engines love rich starts. If you watch this video of my cold start you'll see my choke all the way out and I immediately push it in, BUT my 4 barrel has a throttle advance mechanism on the choke that can be adjusted by a screw. What this does is as the choke is closed it opens the throttle. So at 1/4 choke I can warm up the truck at 700 RPM and walk away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oNXGk5j3RU

bigblockv6 November 4th, 2016 02:56 AM

The 305 would have been the much smaller ww rather than the larger wwc used on 351E,M and larger engines:pullinghairout: The wwc throttle body bores are exactly the same size as the Holley 500:lolsmack2:

TJ's GMC November 4th, 2016 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 64546)
The 305 would have been the much smaller ww rather than the larger wwc used on 351E,M and larger engines:pullinghairout: The wwc throttle body bores are exactly the same size as the Holley 500:lolsmack2:

Fixed. I meant ww. :lolsmack2: