6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Project Blown 305 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49871)

Cuttyman9 October 19th, 2017 03:47 PM

Re: Project Blown 305

Got the big thing apart!

Can't get the stupid time cover off cuz the balancer is on there!

Had to buy bolts and washers, the one doesn't turn over. Dumped some atf on the pistons, one is good, the other two aren't. Gonna try the other bank soon.

bigblockv6 October 20th, 2017 02:17 AM

Try some Marvel Mystery oil or penetrating oil, let it soak real good. I had a 478 that got exposed to the elements and finally freed it up but one piston ended up getting destroyed because there was just too much rust in the cylinder wall.:pullinghairout:

Cuttyman9 October 23rd, 2017 03:38 AM

Got one loose, I think the other is loosening. The other 4 aren't budging so I'll probably bang em out once the crank is free.

Gwhizzard February 17th, 2022 08:39 PM

i know this is old but any update on this thread????

Cuttyman9 February 17th, 2022 09:34 PM

A good deal of progress was made.
And then sorta undone.

I picked up 2 478’s. One rebuild and one crusty.
Stripped the crusty one and sold the rebuilt one.

A barn fire happened, killed a few engines and I’m uncertain if the crank or block is still usable…
I still have the initial 305. Since then I’ve developed a turbo kit for it I developed a lot of other parts through 3d printing but a few have stalled due to not having a good place to send parts to be cast. (4bbl intake manifold, water pump less front cover, valley cover, etc…)
I was under the impression someone could make a custom flywheel that would then be available off the shelf.
Sadly as soon as I spent the cash for the bellhousing adapter for the S6-750 from a 6.0 ford diesel they went MIA and without a flywheel I’m dead in the water on that project.
The supercharged option is still on the table but the turbo stuff was far cheaper and it is definitely an exciting one.

I’m at least closer to a driving 4x4 truck with a K20 chassis now ready to go under my C20 body but it’s got a 454 in it and I’ll probably keep that for a little while because I really need a 4x4.

None of this project has gone as planned in terms of procuring it all. it seems between bad natural events and people who don’t follow through I’ve been having a **** of a time.

Between that and all the other vehicle projects I’ve been “distracted” (I’m up to 16 vehicles total)

Prowbar February 17th, 2022 09:36 PM

Too bad about the fire, been through one myself too. It sucks, everything is destroyed, and nothing you can do about it.

Gwhizzard March 8th, 2022 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuttyman9 (Post 75226)
A good deal of progress was made.
And then sorta undone.

I picked up 2 478’s. One rebuild and one crusty.
Stripped the crusty one and sold the rebuilt one.

A barn fire happened, killed a few engines and I’m uncertain if the crank or block is still usable…
I still have the initial 305. Since then I’ve developed a turbo kit for it I developed a lot of other parts through 3d printing but a few have stalled due to not having a good place to send parts to be cast. (4bbl intake manifold, water pump less front cover, valley cover, etc…)
I was under the impression someone could make a custom flywheel that would then be available off the shelf.
Sadly as soon as I spent the cash for the bellhousing adapter for the S6-750 from a 6.0 ford diesel they went MIA and without a flywheel I’m dead in the water on that project.
The supercharged option is still on the table but the turbo stuff was far cheaper and it is definitely an exciting one.

I’m at least closer to a driving 4x4 truck with a K20 chassis now ready to go under my C20 body but it’s got a 454 in it and I’ll probably keep that for a little while because I really need a 4x4.

None of this project has gone as planned in terms of procuring it all. it seems between bad natural events and people who don’t follow through I’ve been having a **** of a time.

Between that and all the other vehicle projects I’ve been “distracted” (I’m up to 16 vehicles total)

Sorry to hear about the fire! and any of those designs can you post up for others to see? I don't wanna steal thunder but we might all be able to help and reap the rewards from it. I'm actually looking into doing this as well and build something similar just waiting until after i finish up other projects

Cuttyman9 March 8th, 2022 06:04 PM

I’ve posted a lot of the progress under the tag #franknc20 on IG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHEoWkIn...dium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGs84vtn...dium=copy_link
^if people need these I have more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIUOlI8n...dium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9Su3cH...dium=copy_link
Timing pointer has been added.

The truck has seen some progress at least.
350 Chevy was removed, picked up a K chassis for switching the cab onto (454 equipped right now) cleaned up the interior
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSz2Vhyv...dium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwqtVEH...dium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwqlNJn...dium=copy_link
A couple shots of the 4 barrel intake.
Can’t find anyone to cast the **** thing so it’s on the back burner.

No pics of the current bellhousing adapter, it’s 1/2” thick plate this time instead of what I designed with aluminum (2.25” thick)
Sadly the guy who I was talking with about making an off the shelf flywheel bailed basically. He’s been super unresponsive.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CD9roP1n...dium=copy_link
This is the transmission it’s designed for. Ford 6.0 s6-750
They are pretty inexpensive and this setup would make it bolt up

Cuttyman9 March 8th, 2022 06:06 PM

I lied, I found a picture

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca2i-XTP...dium=copy_link

FetchMeAPepsi March 8th, 2022 11:19 PM

Can you just paste the pictures here so we can see?

Cuttyman9 March 9th, 2022 01:01 AM

I’m not seeing an option to upload for the few I have with me, the majority of these are somewhere on my external hard drive now.

FetchMeAPepsi March 9th, 2022 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuttyman9 (Post 75399)
I’m not seeing an option to upload for the few I have with me, the majority of these are somewhere on my external hard drive now.

Just click the paperclip after you click "reply"

Gwhizzard March 9th, 2022 05:05 PM

i wont lie.. i don't have a Instagram account and for some reason my computer wont let me even attempt to open those links. But instead of casting the intake what about machining it? or using tube? I am just guessing but i haven't seen the pictures of it yet

Cuttyman9 March 9th, 2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 75404)
Just click the paperclip after you click "reply"

Everything asked for a URL.

Sorry, Instagram opens the links on my phone, I’m not sure why they don’t work on your computer.

The idea wasn’t to make a one off. The idea was to have an off the shelf manifold for these engines.
Cnc was 1500 an intake easily if not more.
Tube will work about as poorly as the stock intake.

Casting is the way to go.
I might have found someone so fingers crossed.

FetchMeAPepsi March 9th, 2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuttyman9 (Post 75411)
Everything asked for a URL.

Sorry, Instagram opens the links on my phone, I’m not sure why they don’t work on your computer.

The idea wasn’t to make a one off. The idea was to have an off the shelf manifold for these engines.
Cnc was 1500 an intake easily if not more.
Tube will work about as poorly as the stock intake.

Casting is the way to go.
I might have found someone so fingers crossed.

The paperclip next to the smiley face is the one you want. It opens a new window with "Browse" buttons.

Gwhizzard March 10th, 2022 12:54 PM

Gov computer lol!!!! i gotcha i see what your saying with the tube. i just didn't know exactly what it looked like. But i hope so that would be nice to see

Cuttyman9 March 10th, 2022 05:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I was using the quick response.
I’ll post the ones I have with me if it lets me.

Cuttyman9 March 10th, 2022 05:22 PM

The one is the older one i printed the snapshot of the model is the more recent one.

I’m hoping I can influence the design a bit if the company I reached out to develops their own.
A few people requested quadrajet flange pattern, I added that and enough meat that people should be able to cut material from it to make it work. It also has hardware locations for those too.

No exhaust crossover, it’s a bit taller than stock but that’s to get a smooth path to the port entrance.

Gwhizzard March 11th, 2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuttyman9 (Post 75440)
The one is the older one i printed the snapshot of the model is the more recent one.

I’m hoping I can influence the design a bit if the company I reached out to develops their own.
A few people requested quadrajet flange pattern, I added that and enough meat that people should be able to cut material from it to make it work. It also has hardware locations for those too.

No exhaust crossover, it’s a bit taller than stock but that’s to get a smooth path to the port entrance.

Nice..:thumbsup: Ill talk to a buddy of mine that is in the custom world and see what he might be able to help with. That's nice Though big thumbs up!!!

What printer are you using to print the components???

Is that a Holley bore setup as well?

Also i wonder if we could add injector ports for fuel injectors to sit??? just an idea.

Ive been looking alot into trying to configure a Sequential fuel injection setup for these with Coil on plug setup. In research phase right now though lol

Cuttyman9 March 11th, 2022 07:06 PM

That would be legit, I wouldn’t mind trying to make it still if the other company does since I dumped so much work into it.

Holley flange so the standard one, I only added a quadrajet cuz a couple people liked those more and it wasn’t much more effort.

I printed it in PLa on my Hictop D3 hero

I figured fuel injection wise they’d need arms for the rail and what not too so I would just leave it plain. Most who go fuel injection these days run the fitech style carb one.

Gwhizzard March 13th, 2022 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuttyman9 (Post 75462)
That would be legit, I wouldn’t mind trying to make it still if the other company does since I dumped so much work into it.

Holley flange so the standard one, I only added a quadrajet cuz a couple people liked those more and it wasn’t much more effort.

I printed it in PLa on my Hictop D3 hero

I figured fuel injection wise they’d need arms for the rail and what not too so I would just leave it plain. Most who go fuel injection these days run the fitech style carb one.

Understand that.. Awesome i was just wondering bc it is standard size for most throttle bodies with TPS sensors out there... With the fuel injection i looked at the FI Tech and Holley setup but wanted something different like ma MS2 or MS3 setup and be able to program it more myself that's why i didn't know if there is a way in a different design with injector bongs that are closed up and just require drilled. But it is very nice. I appreciate the pictures it helps me visualize kind of what i wanna do with mine. If they do make it and give a good price we could have a poll and see how many would go in on it as well and get their own. Maybe cheaper that way as well

Nice printer setup. Im looking at ender 3 pro to get started. Figured it would be a good base line and move up as needed to bigger printer for parts.

Cuttyman9 March 14th, 2022 08:32 PM

Yeah, there was more DIY FI stuff being voiced on the group than stuff they planned to do with this intake so I left that stuff out.

There also is no guarantee that They will be using my design at all so it may not matter.

Ah yeah, I’ve always wanted the biggest print area possible because you can’t add more as easily as you can make small parts on a big one.
I’m looking at resin printers next

Gwhizzard March 15th, 2022 12:11 PM

Ah i gotcha. I seen some people talking about the FI setups from GM or holley and FItech but understand that. i Hope they take it on for sure.

Cuttyman9 March 15th, 2022 04:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They posted publicly so I figured I’d share.

Show some support for this so they know they aren’t developing stuff for no reason!

I’m certain if carb intakes sell then valve covers valley covers, maybe even front covers in aluminum will be possible!

FetchMeAPepsi March 16th, 2022 02:38 AM

How about a link? Searching for aussiespeedperformance brought me nowhere.

Cuttyman9 March 16th, 2022 04:20 AM

https://instagram.com/aussiespeedper...dium=copy_link

James March 16th, 2022 12:56 PM

I had also found this link:
https://www.aussiespeedshop.com/

Gwhizzard March 18th, 2022 01:30 PM

Shoot yea i wish someone stateside would take it on as well!!!!

MoscowMule June 24th, 2022 09:32 PM

Hey you all.I now have three 305's can't find a block worthy of just honing and throwing new rings in.Since I can't find over sized pistons and rings.I have wondered if the 305 could be bored to accept the 351 pistons.My machine shop guy isn't sure and he wants $225.a hole to sleeve.I'm going to look at a 351 in the morning.Hoping the block is good and throw rings in and go.If not I could get pistons reasonable if you all know if the 305 block could go that far.
Thanks for any advice.Moscow Mule