6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Half-n-Half & Lano Wax (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49880)

Clarke February 4th, 2017 05:15 PM

Half-n-Half & Lano Wax

4 Attachment(s)
So I'm donating my time out in the garage this morning, when I decided to go dig around in this existing dump pit from many many years ago... One of several benefits we inherited when we purchased this acreage approx 20 years ago. The natural rock pit/crevice mostly consist of fire brick, tin of various sorts, glass bottles and pieces of appliances. Oh, and rock. ;) Furthermore, I'm not going to say if I've contributed to this same collection of vintage stash.

Anyway, I was looking for a scrap piece of pipe (which I may or may not have been storing in this same pit for possible future use), when I got distracted and started digging around.

I first found the front half of this truck? Then the back half. Then this '59 Wheat State tag. Upon further investigation it appears the orig color of this vehicle was Yellow, which I found interesting considering the tag is also Yellow... Now I'm not the most intelligent red neck, but I'm pretty sure this tag doesn't belong to this vehicle. I'm certain it would create a major blind spot and be unsafe for other citizens on the road, so I think it's a coincidence.

I was surprised to find that one wheel moves freely; the other one doesn't. It appears there may still be some Lano Wax remains in the bottle, so I will dab a little Lano on there and see if that gets it rolling again.

Funky61 February 4th, 2017 07:30 PM

Re: Half-n-Half & Lano Wax

Pretty Kool Toy Relic find; Patina is IN these days too!

GMCDAC February 5th, 2017 09:41 PM

Wow David, you have an old dump? Who knows what else may be hidden in it! That old toy truck looks like it belongs with your International! Nice that you found both pieces. The plate will be a nice wall-hanger on your false front garage. Looks like a cool little bottle too but the contents may be a bit past it's "use by" date--LOL!

Did you get the engine put in the old Binder yet? Hope you and Carla are doing well.

DAC

Clarke February 7th, 2017 03:18 AM

Hello Doug...

No engine in the Binder yet. I got the 250 from my retired '77 sitting in the back. It's too long to fit within the existing engine compartment and I don't want to chop the firewall, as it's too good of shape.

I plan on running with your idea of buying an older Astro van and using the V6/trans/drive shaft/wire harness assy. Those components should fit nicely and I should get decent gas mileage too.

I have found and purchased most of the remaining International (used) parts I was missing. Now I just need to carve out lots of time. I didn't get much David time in 2016... Most of our family needed assistance with various different large projects. I finally found time to winterize my mower last weekend (now that Spring is almost here). That's okay, they are all good people.

Hope you and Loree are doing well.

bobdylan February 10th, 2017 01:27 PM

Very cool old stuff, speaking of I see you live in Augusta Ks. Have you been to the twisted Oz Motorcycle museum? I met Kelly the owner at a Vintage motorcycle show in Lawrence on the fifth, sound like he has a lot of rare bikes.

Ed Snyder February 11th, 2017 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdylan (Post 66314)
Very cool old stuff, speaking of I see you live in Augusta Ks. Have you been to the twisted Oz Motorcycle museum? I met Kelly the owner at a Vintage motorcycle show in Lawrence on the fifth, sound like he has a lot of rare bikes.

You guys in Kansas (my home state) should check out the cool museum in Marquette too. See http://ksmotorcyclemuseum.org/. I visited a few years ago.

bobdylan February 11th, 2017 02:01 AM

Thanks. I didn't know that was there. I could take a little road trip and see both of the.

Clarke February 11th, 2017 03:00 AM

Yes, I've been to the Twisted Oz Museum. Kelly is a great guy... We purchased our vacant land south of Augusta in the late '90s. A year later, Kelly opened a rental place on the south end of town. Talk about perfect timing! Plus, he's open seven days a week. I hate to think how much I spent on rental equipment, but hey, good for Kelly and convenient for me.

His museum is awesome. So many vintage bikes and such a great job with the design of multiple building facades throughout the museum.

Kelly has been good for Augusta.

In ref to the museum in Marquette, my wife and I rode our two wheeler up there ten(ish) years ago and the guy that owned the place was called "Stan the Man", who had dozens of trophies, if not a hundred or more. Anyway, him and I hooked up shortly after we walked in. He walked with me and told me about every single bike in there. Very impressive... Two hours later I made it back to the front door, left a nice donation, then I was looking for my wife. She was outside asleep on the park bench along main street. I guess the time got away from me.

That was such a great day that I was able to spend so much time with Stan one on one. Sadly, about six months later I read he passed away. Of course, that only reinforced the appreciation I felt for the amount of the time I was able to spend with him. I never went back, as I could never top that special visit.

Ed Snyder February 11th, 2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 66318)
Yes, I've been to the Twisted Oz Museum.

I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Wichita to visit my folks.

http://twistedoz.com/

Clarke February 11th, 2017 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 66319)
I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Wichita to visit my folks.

http://twistedoz.com/

Ed, let me know if you want some company and we can have a "mini-mini" meet. ;)