6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   4bbl Intake Pics Please (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50042)

1972RedNeck June 13th, 2017 02:56 PM

4bbl Intake Pics Please

Anybody have any detailed pictures of their 4bbl intake manifolds (TJ's GMC?) Did you just hog out the top of the intake and bolt/epoxy an aluminum 4 barrel spacer to the top of it for extra clearance and a true mating surface?

I would appreciate a little info as I have a 351E intake manifold that I would like to start tinkering on in my spare time...

TJ's GMC June 13th, 2017 04:07 PM

Re: 4bbl Intake Pics Please

5 Attachment(s)
I milled mine.....pictures are not super detailed, but best I have.

Mill the top surface of the manifold Flat. Then either purchase a spacer with 4 bolt holes or make one. I bought a 1 inch thick block of aluminum and made mine.

Then drilled 4 mounting holes and used bolts and nuts. Permatexed the nuts on the bolts. I used two thick gaskets and a thin bead of silicon to aid in sealing. No issues yet.

TJ's GMC June 13th, 2017 04:12 PM

One thing I'm thinking I should have done was make that spacer with two ovals and an air gap like the manifold instead of open plenum. I may do that eventually when I convert to a smaller 4 barrel.

Ed Snyder June 14th, 2017 01:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck (Post 67330)
Anybody have any detailed pictures of their 4bbl intake manifolds? Did you just hog out the top of the intake and bolt/epoxy an aluminum 4 barrel spacer to the top of it for extra clearance and a true mating surface?

Here's the manifold I put on my 401. I drew the adapter I wanted, and had a machinist friend mill it for me. He milled the top of the manifold flat for me too.

bigblockv6 June 14th, 2017 02:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
1972Redkneck, here's a couple that I built that were machined perfectly flat so all I used was gaskets to bolt on a spread bore to square bore adapter, drilled mounting holes and the other manifold which was latest I built I just used a square bore spacer that I drilled out and mounted with a gasket as well, this one to me is a much better example over how it should be done versus the first one:ahhhh: I did.

BobBray June 14th, 2017 06:09 AM

Did anyone ever find any information about the Edelbrock GMC V6 manifold?

Back in the 40's-50's time frame, there was a company in Los Angeles by the name of Ellis Manifolds. They specialized in multi-carb. intake manifolds for large trucks. Unfortunately they seem to have gone out of business before the GMC V6 became popular.

bigblockv6 June 14th, 2017 06:29 AM

Bob, was the Edelbrock manifold a 4bbl version for the V6?

BobBray June 14th, 2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 67344)
Bob, was the Edelbrock manifold a 4bbl version for the V6?

Not really sure. Story goes Hot Rod did a story on 6 cylinder engine performance sometime in the early 60's, and there was a picture of a GMC V6 with an aftermarket intake on it. I have never been able to find the issue or anything about the manifold. I believe it was mentioned around here some years ago.

bigblockv6 June 14th, 2017 02:18 PM

I do remember vaguely that being talked about quite a few years back on Jolly's site.